"OK Boomer" may become a Fox TV show

Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 12:39 am

Boomers don't seem to understand how f****d the economy is for us millennials. Moving out of home costs a fortune since house prices are absurdly high. Most entry-level white-collar jobs require a degree nowadays, as employers don't want to train people any more. With more and more "unskilled" jobs becoming automated, mid tier jobs are becoming less valuable, paying less, and have stiffer competition. A lot of job stability is gone with more jobs being outsourced to contractors, leaving employees constantly hopping from one contract to the next without any job security. Overpopulation and immigrant flooding further reduces job opportunities. Retail jobs are shrinking thanks to online shopping. Many jobs are being outsourced to cheap oversees labor.

So no, things aren't easy for millennials. God help us when they figure AI out. So many routine white-collar jobs are going to get erased when that happens. Oh, and self-driving cars are being worked on too. Say goodbye to taxi and delivery jobs when that's perfected.

Making a show called "OK Boomer" is just cringey though, lol.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 2:37 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
As in there must be winners and losers in life and competition is a part of life. This is the philosophy of our society and other capitalistic societies. Personal responsibility presumes that it is ones choices that led up to one's circumstances and one causes one's choices. If this is the case and life must have winners and losers then how does the philosophy of personal responsibility hold up with competition. Competition predestines that some must lose in various things including life itself. This is one reason why conservative philosophy and thought is BS.

I watch (boomer) Dave Ramsey everyday.

Dave teaches personal responsibility, and many millennials benefit from his wisdom.

1. Live within your means.
2. Every dollar counts.
3. Sacrifice now, so you can have a better future.
4. If you don't have the money to buy something, then you can't afford it.
5. Have no credit cards.
6. Don't buy stuff to impress others.
7. Only pursue education with a good ROI (return on investment).
8. Save and invest.
9. If necessary, get a second job delivering pizza.
10. Be WEIRD. Don't be like everyone else living paycheck to paycheck.

He calls this .. Plastic Surgery ...

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 3:12 am

Quote:
I watch (boomer) Dave Ramsey everyday.

I didn't know that this existed. But, you've my point. The same people who complained about the millennials are the same ones who created them. Sort of like Victor Frankenstein and the monster. Victor created and fashioned the monster together yet when he was finished victor was repulsed and tried to destroy the monster.

Quote:
Dave teaches personal responsibility, and many millennials benefit from his wisdom.

Do you have a link to what you watch?

Quote:
1. Live within your means.

Specifics?

Quote:
2. Every dollar counts.

Agreed!

Quote:
3. Sacrifice now, so you can have a better future.

Sacrifice what? What is one expected to sacrifice?

And, some of these millennial don't even believe they have a future. They believe our planet by the time they're the boomers age or senior citizens the planet will be an environmental s**t ball. Even if they must sacrifice as you say, what's the point?

And, you see this with things like The Tide Pod challenge. Some of them are nihilistic and see no future whatsoever. So why bother? Why try?

Quote:
4. If you don't have the money to buy something, then you can't afford it.

Yet, the same generation encouraged the millennials to take out student loans.

Quote:
5. Have no credit cards.

Not practical! Do you actually have no credit card? And, if a certain thing is needed for one to proceed any further like having a cell phone or some kind of phone number to put on a job application and if one can't afford to get one you're pretty much screwed.

Quote:
6. Don't buy stuff to impress others.

Agreed! But, why were they put in situations (like going to school where other kids were to teach your kid social skills) in which this was allowed to occur?

Quote:
7. Only pursue education with a good ROI (return on investment).

How do you expect a graduating senior with little to no critical thinking skills and life experience do know what his/her options and decide and sort through his/her options? And, that presumes this ROI was good when the student picked it and guess what? Things change? Society changes? s**t happens.

Quote:
8. Save and invest.

And, that's assuming they know how to save and invest and understand the investment strategies out there and being able to a decide what is right for them.

Quote:
9. If necessary, get a second job delivering pizza.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/F ... 14572.html

This woman followed your model and died as a result. Where was her lack of personal responsibility? Keeping the gas container in the car? Maybe. If she had to constantly work just to make ends meet and was extremely tired all the time then how could she have had the sound judgement to take this personal responsibility? What specifically should she have done differently?

Quote:
10. Be WEIRD. Don't be like everyone else living paycheck to paycheck.

Be Weird. What does that even mean exactly? Be individualistic? Stand out from the crowd?

Again, if everyone else was able to save and invest and be weird as you call it then wouldn't they have done so? It could be they're trying to keep up with the Jones. And, even if they feel this need to keep up with the Jones then why do they feel this extreme need? Or, could it be that conditions in our society exist that prevents one from being weird and saving and investing?

I'm sorry but simple and cursory advice and answers you're giving here doesn't cut it and only looks at the surface. You're not looking deep under the hood. And, the issues that the millennial have and dealing with are not that simple as conservatives like to make them out to be.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 3:25 am

Quote:

He calls this .. Plastic Surgery ...

https://time.com/5606411/millennials-deaths-of-despair/

And, this is what millenials call plastic surgery.

Get it LoveNotHate? Do you get the f*****g point? The millenials aren't narcisstic or entitled. They see no future for themselves. They see no point in having children. And, they want to be dead. They're depressed at best and nihilistic at worst.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 3:36 am

What the millennial and the younger gens are experiencing is not narcissism and entitlement but Anomie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomie

What you see is a dysfunction. They were raised to be honest (honesty is the best policy) yet companies and corporations and their parents and other older generations deceive all the time. They were raised to be themselves and now all of a sudden they were expected to conform.

They go to church expecting spiritual guidance and wisdom and seeing all kinds of hyposcrises like Christians focusing so much on sins of homosexuality, sexual perversions, etc, etc that they forget the important commandment given by God like Loving God and loving others as one does himself. That is forgotten so much.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 12:41 pm

I see lots of excuses.

The likely path to success is to seek and follow the wisdom of successful people.

The likely path of failure is to have excuses, blame others and disregard the wisdom of successful people.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 12:49 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveRamseyShow/videos

This boomer will set your straight about your questions.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 7:55 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveRamseyShow/videos

This boomer will set your straight about your questions.

I watched this and I'm impressed with what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GXzQqBgKY

This is what I liked.

He laid out a specific plan.

And, he broke out the math.

This is very good.

Now....

a. Shouldn't they have been taught things like this when they were younger. If the Millenials are the way they are today then how did they get to be that way? My answer is that they wasn't taught s**t and given all sorts of overly-simplistic slogans and advice like "be yourself", "you can do anything you set your mind to", etc. The boomers were so focused on self-esteem (I agree with conservatives on the BS self-esteem movement) and academics that they didn't really teach them these other important things.

Now, you have them in classrooms with teachers and even some parents do this. "You don't want to work at McDonalds. Keep making F's and you will." Now, these younger gens associate working at McDonalds and other places like that as being considered dumb and ret*d. The boomers inadvertently presented working at McDonalds us for misfits just like riding the short bus is for those who are considered disabled and dumb.

They were conditioned by well meaning adults in their lives to see working at McDonalds as beneath them.

The millienial generation may suck but is it really their fault? Should we heap the whole pie of responsibility upon them? For a world they're ill prepared for? Or are the boomers the one who need to look in the mirrors themselves? Did the millenials fail or was it the boomers who failed? Failed to teach and raise properly and only giving meaningless slogans.

b. What is the cost of an apartment? If the cheapest apartment is out of her price range then is his plan realistic?

c. Is she sure she will make $40,000? How does she know her figure is accurate?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 7:58 pm

I don’t believe most Millennials are desperate enough to cut their wrists.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 8:47 pm

I think part of the problem is that there is an over-abundance of college grads. We have an over-supply of labor and an under-supply of jobs for the student's college degree. It was the schools and parents that sent everyone down the college pipeline when some students had no business going to college.

I think to fix this we need to get the schools out of career counseling. They do a piss poor job at it by the results we see. Get them back to doing academics only. Get rid of all the guidance counselors and get rid of all the SATs in high school. SATs are between the potential college student, college and parents.

In other words, parents need to take back the authority they ceded to these schools. The schools suck at anything beyond they were designed to do which is academics.

During the summer time, kids and and teens should not be allowed just to simply sit around. Parents need to get them involved into some kind of career prep. Knowing their apptitude. Having them do various internships with organizations and job shadowing. Not just office environments but blue collared work as well. And, if labor laws stand in the way then relax them a bit and of course make sure there are safety precautions. And, explain what internships are and what shadowing is. And, what does starting at the bottom mean. And, what does taking initiative mean?

If possible have them do part time work during the weekends and learn the value of saving money.

With credit cards, I would start teaching them the value of credit cards, what they are, what they do, and I would give them one but they're only allowed to spend a certain amount on it per month and they can't use it until all of the money is paid back on it.

If possible have a family owned business and hire your child.

One thing, I wish we could go back to the neighborhood model. With, neighborhood shops, schools, etc etc. And, the people in neighborhood try to stick with their neighborhood stores to shop and neighborhood places to work at. Keep everything as local as possible. This would reduce the amount of job applications one would have to look at. And, in fact, go back to where the local businesses looked at the applications and get rid of all this automation BS. Sometimes, a human eye and pen and paper is better.

And, throw the entire self-esteem movement philosophy into garbage can.

And, I would teach my child too look at working at McDonalds is an opportunity not for rejects. And, any educator who says otherwise is a lying sack of s**t.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 10:57 pm

I watched another of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XrKr4q2CWM

I have to say I'm impressed. This man took time to understand this woman's disability and understand she couldn't work. And, once again he breaks down the math and breaks things down logically.

At least this man tries to help put things into a perspective.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 2:37 am

Here is what I think. I think all student loans should forgiven since the students took them out under false pretenses the boomers set them up on.

Now, if we will still have loans then no one should be allowed to take out a student loan unless they come up with a comprehensive plan to pay this loan back. No comprehensive plan, no loan. This is how banks do it when people want to borrow money from a bank to start a business. One has to present them a solid business plan. Why shouldn't prospective students be forced to do the same thing.

Another, let's have more scholar ships that students including the hope scholarship that existed in my state. If one maintained a B average one received the scholarship. I thank God everyday for that scholarship. And, the scholarship was paid for by the state lottery.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 3:45 am

One guy that called Dave Ramsey was $430,000 in student loan debt pursuing education as a doctor.

He failed medical boards twice and they dismissed him from the school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abz9qgi9FKg

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 6:36 am

Stop blaming “the Boomers” for individual problems. I mean those who blame “the Boomers.”

I am also in student loan debt. I’m a Boomer. And I knew what I was getting into. No false pretenses.

I don’t believe Millennials and Generation Z-ers are all “Snowflakes” or whatever. That’s a gross generalization. I’ve met many nice and smart and resilient young people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 9:21 am

At 'The Game,' Protesters Chant 'OK, Boomer'

Quote:
Protesters in the colors of both Harvard and Yale staged a sit-in at midfield of Yale Bowl during halftime of the 136th edition of the annual football rivalry known as The Game. Most walked off after about an hour, reports the AP, and 20-30 who remained were arrested. A few dozen protesters initially trickled onto the field as the Yale band finished its halftime routine, some holding a banner asking the schools’ presidents to divest from the fossil fuel industry. Other signs referred to Puerto Rican debt and the treatment of Uighurs. Yale said in a statement that the school “stands firmly for the right to free expression." "It is regrettable,” the Ivy League said, “that the orchestrated protest came ... when fellow students were participating in a collegiate career-defining contest and an annual tradition when thousands ... celebrate the storied traditions of both football programs and universities."

Between 20 and 30 people were arrested and given a court date

The group chanted: “Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Fossil fuels have got to go!” When the 15-minute halftime expired and the protest continued, hundreds more fans streamed onto the field to join in. The announcer implored the group to leave, repeating, "As a courtesy to both teams, the game must resume." Protesters responded by chanting, "OK, boomer." "They’re all supposed to be intelligent people. It looks like there’s a lot of common sense that has missed their generation,” Yale fan Chuck Crummie, 68, tells the Washington Post. Yale won 50-43 in double overtime in darkness in the unlit Yale Bowl to clinch the Ivy League championship.

'OK, Boomer': Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz scoffs at Kellyanne Conway's stance on marijuana legalization
Quote:
Rep. Matt Gaetz had a simple response to White House counselor Kellyanne Conway's concerns about marijuana legalization: "OK, Boomer."

The Florida Republican dropped the generational put-down Saturday on CNN's "Smerconish Show" after being shown a clip from April of Conway saying, "There are many health professionals and employers increasingly concerned that this is not your grandfather or your father's marijuana. The TCH components are much stronger."

Gaetz, 37, said he had worked to "be a positive influence" on President Donald Trump regarding marijuana reform. And he was not impressed by Conway's argument.

"To my friend Kellyanne Conway, I would say: OK, Boomer. I mean that's a very Boomer approach to marijuana, if for no other reason that it's actually THC, not TCH," Gaetz said, adding that her position showed a "real ignorance to the science."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 9:51 am

A "Boomer approach to marijuana" is, actually, very liberal. Many Boomers smoked pot when they were in high school and college.