Is Boris Johnson putting the NHS up for sale?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

Jeremy Corbyn released a bunch of reports from negotiations between the US and UK in 2017 about a post-Brexit trade deal. They show that the US wants the UK to allow its health care companies to operate there.

Quote:
The key passage, based on what we have seen, comes at the end of the section on intellectual property (IP) from a meeting in July 2018. After 14 pages summarising ferociously technical talks between officials expert in drugs IP, the UK concludes: “We have reached a point (for patents in pharmaceuticals/health) where beyond specific policy details in niche areas, we are awaiting the clearance to negotiate and exchange text to really take significant further steps.”

Assuming ministers haven’t given negotiating instructions since then (highly reckless at this point), we’re still at that stage. The same is true of the other sections Labour have got excited about, where the two sides discuss the “negative list” approach (all sectors opened unless specifically excluded) for services. That would allow US healthcare companies more scope to operate inside the NHS, but only if the UK doesn’t put public healthcare on the excluded list.

These documents, apart from revealing the mind-bending detail of trade talks to a lay audience, are neither irrelevant nor conclusive evidence the government is lying. Are the meetings so far consistent with a Tory government putting the NHS up for negotiation? Yes. Have they already started? No. Will they do so if elected on December 12? That depends how much you trust Ms Truss and Mr Johnson.

https://www.ft.com/content/28c1acda-112 ... bf4f9e548a

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:31 pm

My insurance company can't be trusted to fill prescriptions. They had one job. They outsourced it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm

Brits are shocked to learn, in street interviews, of how much American health care costs:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/stat ... 7520161792

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 3:35 am

More privatisation/less public ownership is a core principle of conservatism, they have gradually been privatising areas of it over the past 10 years anyway and once you enter FTA negotiations with countries who have previously stated publicly that it is on the table then it is only going one way.

It's what the public voted for though

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 3:22 pm

British pay enormous taxes.

32.5% tax rate at merely £50,000 ($65,000) of employment income
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_ ... ed_Kingdom

Commonly, Americans are paying on debt, living pay check to pay check, so can't afford those taxes.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm

Likely, despite these outrageous taxes, the NHS says every few years, "We need more".

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 5:53 pm

That's because paying taxes so people don't immediately die makes sense; in order for economies not to crash due to constituents illnesses.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 5:54 pm

So they're dodging taxes & living beyond their means? You mean the president?

Quote:
Commonly, Americans are paying on debt, living pay check to pay check, so can't afford those taxes.