At least 5 dead from New Zealand volcano eruption

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 10:32 am

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DanielStone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2019, 11:46 am

that's terrible news.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 2:43 pm

NO SIGNS OF LIFE LEFT ON THE ISLAND

The New Zealand police said in a press release early Tuesday morning local time that at least five people died and eight are missing when the eruption took place Monday afternoon on White Island. White Island sits about 30 miles offshore from mainland New Zealand and experts say it's the country's most active cone volcano, with about 70 percent of the volcano lying under the sea.

"Police believe that anyone who could have been taken from the island alive was rescued at the time of the evacuation," police stated. "Based on the information we have, we do not believe there are any survivors on the island."

Police Deputy Commissioner John Tims said at a news conference there were 47 people on the island when it erupted and that eight remain missing.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told reporters that 31 people were in seven hospitals, including some in critical condition, while three had been discharged overnight. Arden said the victims include people from New Zealand, Australia, the U.K., the U.S., China and Malaysia.

A total of 37 passengers and one crew member from the Royal Caribbean International cruise ship Ovation of the Seas were affected by the blast, according to police.

Source: New Zealand volcano eruption leaves 'no signs of life' on island