Page 47 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 535  Next

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 5:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I'm not sure I ever said that?

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=384318&p=8452896#p8452896
cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
But if it's a pandemic shouldn't a similar spread be happening elsewhere in the world?

With this virus, you have to learn to be patient before making comments.

Indonesia has zero cases. Upon inquiry, they then admitted: testing is just too expensive, so they don't do it. Ha ha.

Incubation can take up to 20 days with this virus. Many people have extremely mild symptoms or no symptoms, at all. So, my advice to everyone is, as I have said 2 days ago, wait another week (meaning wait another 5 days from now), before you make any comments about pandemic or not pandemic. (According to the strict definition of pandemic, it already is. But of course, plan B has not been triggered, yet, outside China.)

But they said wait 5-10 days back in the middle of January. It's now the middle of Feb. With international travel surely the numbers overseas should have skyrocketed like back in China??

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 5:32 pm

Drive through centres for people with symptoms are being suggested here as a containment measure. Sort of like medical teams in hazmat suits, attending to drive-by symptom reporters, protected from cross infection and from spreading it to others, which is a risk in conventional medical centres, doctors' surgeries and hospitals.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2020, 6:12 pm

Report: Iran Arrests Man for Photographing Coronavirus Victim Bodies
Frances Martel
6-8 minutes

Reports out of Iran indicate that police apprehended an unnamed man this week after a video surfaced showing piles of corpses, presumably of Chinese coronavirus victims, at a mortuary in Qom, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.

Following the publication of the video on social media, multiple reports have corroborated evidence that Iran is experiencing an extremely high coronavirus death rate, potentially much higher than the official government numbers. CNN published a report Thursday similarly relaying the dire images of piles of bodies too large for government health workers to know what to do with and confirming that Iranian state media admitted the video was real.

The Saudi news outlet Al-Arabiya reported the arrest of the unnamed man on Wednesday, citing Iran International TV. It did not offer any details regarding if the man was indeed arrested in Qom or where Iranian police took him, as Iran admitted to freeing tens of thousands of prisoners this week in an attempt to prevent a pandemic within the prison system.

Similarly, the New York Post reported the arrest of one person in association with the filming of the video but offered no more information on the person. The Post noted that the online origin of the video appeared to be Iranian journalist Mohamad Ahwaze, who described the whistleblower behind the video as a member of the medical staff attempting to handle the crisis.

The gruesome video shows bodies in black bags lined on the floor at a health facility; the narrator, in Farsi, reportedly describes them as coronavirus victims and laments that the government’s ineptitude has made it impossible to offer these individuals a proper burial. The video does not offer any proof of the fact that the individuals in question died of coronavirus disease, but CNN reported that an Iranian broadcaster did confirm that the video is real.

In a report Thursday, CNN appeared to confirm that the video was legitimate and identify its origin as the Behesht-e Masoumeh morgue in Qom.

“Under Islamic tradition in Iran, corpses are typically washed with soap and water before burial. But two medical workers in Qom told CNN that in some cases precautions related to the outbreak are preventing staff from observing traditional Islamic guidelines for burial,” the outlet reported. “Instead, they said the bodies of those confirmed to have coronavirus at the time of death are being treated with calcium oxide, to prevent them from contaminating the soil once buried in cemeteries.”

CNN also relayed an interview on Iranian state television with the director of the morgue, Ali Ramezani, who claimed that any delays causing bodies to pile up were the product of families choosing “that we keep their deceased, for a day or two, until their [coronavirus] test results are completed.”

Iran’s Health Ministry confirmed the deaths of 124 people in the country as a result of Chinese coronavirus infection and claimed to have confirmed 4,747 total cases, as of Friday morning. An overnight surge of more than 1,000 confirmed cases occurred as a result of more testing being done, the Ministry insisted, not as a result of the virus spreading more rapidly.

Opposition groups with sources within the country have insisted the official government numbers are significantly lower than the real total of people affected by the outbreak. The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK), a global opposition group to the Islamic regime, claimed on Friday that its sources in the Iranian healthcare system have evidence for nearly 1,500 coronavirus deaths.

“The scale of the virus spread and death rate in Iran is dramatically more extensive and catastrophic, to the extent that if not contained, hundreds of thousands of Iranians would be vulnerable to infection and death as a result of the regime’s incompetence, lack of sufficient resources to confront the virus and a corrupt ruling elite,” PMOI said in a report published Thursday, noting that Iran’s incompetence has been extraordinary, according to its sources, even compared to China’s, a nation that hid the outbreak from the world and its own public for over a month:

According to official facts and figures, the death rate in Iran is not comparable to any other country in the world. Whereas in the worst cases of Chinese infection the rate of death in the 8 to 10 first days had been reported to be around 2% and in worst cases 5%, in Iran the percentage has been obviously much higher. For example, on February 27, nine days after the Coronavirus was detected in Iran for the first time, the death rate was around 12% and on February 28 around 9%. The rate dropped to 4% on March 4, and slightly above 3% on March 5, revealing the fact that Iranian official figures are absolutely unreliable, and that the extent of crisis was far greater than what the mullahs portrayed.

In a statement to Breitbart News, Maryam Rajavi, the president-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), an opposition coalition that includes the PMOI/MEK, “called on physicians, nurses and hospital staff to publicize their information quickly in order to save the lives of the Iranian people and to thwart the regime’s cover-up and misleading information.”

She emphasized that the United Nations, World Health Organization, and other international human rights organizations must compel the religious fascism ruling Iran to make public all the facts and figures regarding COVID-19 and provide them to relevant international organizations in order to save the lives of the people of Iran and other countries in the region.

The outbreak has notably affected the highest levels of the Iranian Islamic regime. Officials have confirmed that at least 23 lawmakers have tested positive for the virus. A senior adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei died after testing positive for the virus last week. This week, Iranian news agencies confirmed the death of a former Iranian ambassador to Syria. Iran’s vice president and the head of coronavirus response at the Health Ministry both tested positive for the virus.

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2020/03/06/iran-arrests-man-photographing-piles-coronavirus-victim-bodies/

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 6:39 pm

Brehus wrote:
Reports out of Iran indicate that police apprehended an unnamed man this week after a video surfaced showing piles of corpses, presumably of Chinese coronavirus victims, at a mortuary in Qom, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.

For a moment I thought, wow, China was exporting cadavers. Then I realized you meant "Chinese coronavirus" and not "Chinese victims." Please, don't call it "Chinese coronavirus." Names do have consequences.

At the beginning of the outbreak, because COVID-19 happened mostly with the Chinese, some studies then looked into ACE2 receptors and they concluded that Europeans will not be infected as much by this virus. Oops. Big mistake.

This is what happened today in NYC, where an Asian man was sprayed air freshener in the subway. I know, it may look funny. But it is not so funny when the perpetrator can be charged with hate crime.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 6:55 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm not sure I ever said that?

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=384318&p=8452896#p8452896
cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
But if it's a pandemic shouldn't a similar spread be happening elsewhere in the world?

With this virus, you have to learn to be patient before making comments.

Indonesia has zero cases. Upon inquiry, they then admitted: testing is just too expensive, so they don't do it. Ha ha.

Incubation can take up to 20 days with this virus. Many people have extremely mild symptoms or no symptoms, at all. So, my advice to everyone is, as I have said 2 days ago, wait another week (meaning wait another 5 days from now), before you make any comments about pandemic or not pandemic. (According to the strict definition of pandemic, it already is. But of course, plan B has not been triggered, yet, outside China.)

But they said wait 5-10 days back in the middle of January. It's now the middle of Feb. With international travel surely the numbers overseas should have skyrocketed like back in China??

This was fairly early during the infection phase and I was posing questions for further discussion rather than stating a fact or belief.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 6:58 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
For a moment I thought, wow, China was exporting cadavers. Then I realized you meant "Chinese coronavirus" and not "Chinese victims." Please, don't call it "Chinese coronavirus." Names do have consequences.

I notice the media in Australia have stopped identifying the ethnicity of the infected victims who keep popping up everywhere. It would seem the majority of the vectors in recent times have been Chinese people who have come back from Chinese new year travel prior to the travel ban. This might explain the accidental use of "Chinese coronavirus"

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 7:13 pm

Eat your chicken soup!

Campbell Soup is increasing production to prepare for coronavirus demand

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/campbel ... emand.html

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm

Coronavirus cases surpass 100,000 globally: Live updates

Quote:
More than 100,000 people have been diagnosed with the coronavirus disease globally, according to Johns Hopkins University - with at least 3,015 deaths in China and 267 fatalities in other parts of the globe, most of them in Italy and Iran.

At least 1,200 of the new infections are in Iran in just the past 24 hours, the country's biggest jump since the outbreak began. Iran's health ministry on Friday noted that 124 people have died.

n France, 200 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed overnight, while India and South Korea also reported an increase in the number of infections.

Additionally, the death toll in the United States from the coronavirus rose to 12 when King County in the state of Washington reported the latest death on Thursday.

South by Southwest Has Been Canceled Because of the Coronavirus
Quote:
On Friday, Austin Mayor Steve Adler announced that he was declaring a local disaster because of concerns over the novel coronavirus, effectively canceling the South by Southwest music, tech, and film festival that the city was set to host next week. “It is really unfortunate to be canceling SXSW. It is really important to our city,” the mayor said. There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Austin, Texas, and the broader Travis County area, but city officials pointed to the presence of international guests, the lack of a vaccine, and uncertainty about whether the festival could accelerate the virus’s spread as reasons for the cancellation.

SXSW’s absence will undoubtedly dent Austin’s economy; in 2019, the festival brought a record $356 million to the city. It will also throttle the plans of the record labels, film studios, and tech companies that depend on the heavy media presence the festival draws each spring to promote their talent and launch their newest products. Taken with several other reluctantly made but probably inevitable cancellations this week, it suggests we’ve entered the stage of the outbreak where large public gatherings drawing people from all over the globe have simply become too risky not to call off.

Woman knocked unconscious defending Chinese friend over coronavirus harassment
Quote:
A woman was knocked unconscious in the UK while defending a Chinese friend from a man who called her a racial slur and harassed her about the coronavirus, according to a new report.

Meera Solanki, 29, was out at the Ana Rocha Bar and Gallery in Hockley, Birmingham, with a group of friends for her birthday on Feb. 9 when a group of men called her pal Mandy Huang, 28, a “dirty C—k” and told her to “take your f–king coronavirus and take it back home,” Metro UK reported.

The problem started when a group of men inside the venue “kept coming up to me and harassing me,” Solanki told the outlet.

“He seemed to have a problem with me being an Indian girl with a multi-racial group of friends,” she said. “We tried to ignore him, even when he tried to spit at one of my friends. Towards the end of the night there [were] just the three of us girls left including my Chinese friend Mandy. The man came over again and was being aggressive, so we left, but he followed us.”

Then he allegedly spouted the offensive comments at Huang, Solanki said.

“I was shocked and angry so I shouted for him to stop and tried to push him away,” she said. But instead of stopping the abuse, she became the target and was knocked to the ground unconscious.

A witness told the Sunday Mercury that the attack was “beyond despicable” and “a totally vicious assault.”

Cops say the man continued to make offensive comments towards her friends before calmly walking away as she lay unconscious on the ground, according to Metro.

The woman spent several hours in the hospital and then took a week off work to recover.

Authorities on Friday released photos of a man they would like to speak with in connection to the assault, the outlet reported.

He’s described as Asian, 5-foot-8, of large build and wearing a flat cap and hoodie, authorities said.

The UK has recently seen a rise in racism against Asian people as the coronavirus outbreak swells, according to Metro.

The country saw its first coronavirus-related death Thursday — a woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions.

The total number of people infected in the country surged to 116 Friday — rising by more than 30 in 24 hours. The prime minister’s official spokesman said it was “highly likely the virus is going to spread in a significant way,” according to the report.

The nightmare of living quarantined under coronavirus
Samuel Heilman is a professor at Queens College-City University of New York and lives with his wife in New Rochelle, in Westchester County.
Quote:
I find myself trapped at home thanks to the simple act of attending a funeral at my synagogue — and while our quarantine so far is “voluntary,” we all understand it really is not.

For the most part, quarantine means sitting at home, wondering if my wife and I will test positive, too. It means getting up each morning and hoping you have no symptoms, getting dressed with nowhere to go — not work, not morning service at the synagogue, which is closed, too, not even shopping for groceries.

It means my wife, a therapist, cannot see her patients in her office, cannot volunteer at the Northern Westchester Medical Center, or go to her yoga. And it means my daily swim at the YMCA has been replaced by walking in endless circles around my house.

And of course, each day means praying for the recovery of our sick friends.

Quarantine is at once both boring and utterly nerve-racking. We read about contradictory messages coming from the White House and knowing these are the people on whom we are dependent for help does not inspire confidence.

The quarantine was supposed to be over March 8, but it’s been extended until March 14 because of all the additional positive tests, so the wait goes on and on.

Coronavirus is disrupting our entire community. My doctor is beyond reach because he’s a member of the congregation and in quarantine, too. A friend from the congregation dependent on home health care is in quarantine and alone, and we can’t get over to help.

We hear that more people are testing positive but we don’t know who they are. Could they be someone we came in close contact with? Or is it someone we barely know?

Although unspoken, we know that many of our neighbors are probably associating this outbreak with our Jewishness, another episode in a long and tragic history that stretches to the Black Plague. One can’t help but recall all that as we are labeled as the primary community responsible for the coronavirus outbreak in Westchester.

Coronavirus first crept into my life two weeks ago when I video-chatted with a fellow professor in China who self-quarantined out of precaution. A week later, it was my son and his family, who were quarantined when they returned home to Israel from a ski trip in northern Italy. I had thought I was safe thousands of miles away in New Rochelle.

We got into this fix because we’re a community. Ironically, it’s brought us all closer together. Hopefully, we’ll all come out alright, and this, too, will pass.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 8:04 pm

The "psychological infection" effect of this virus appears to be infecting people on an unprecedented scale. I wish the focus was more centred on preventative strategies. Instead the psychogical infection seems to be exponentially spreading.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:09 pm

You are absolutely right.
Sigh. :cry:

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2020, 9:32 pm

Looking at the average age of death it looks like this mainly going to be a biblical type plague for the boomers most of the other people it will range between a bad cold to a bad flu

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 10:38 pm

B19 wrote:
The "psychological infection" effect of this virus appears to be infecting people on an unprecedented scale. I wish the focus was more centred on preventative strategies. Instead the psychogical infection seems to be exponentially spreading.

No toilet paper, hand sanitizer, hand wash or disinfectant wipes

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 10:48 pm

So my local supermarket seems to be having a run on Lysol and bottled water.

Not sure how long you can survive on Lysol and bottled water.

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 10:53 pm

Darmok wrote:
So my local supermarket seems to be having a run on Lysol and bottled water.

Not sure how long you can survive on Lysol and bottled water.

Fortunately tap water is drinkable (unless you live in Flint Michigan)

ouinon2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2020, 11:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
ouinon2 wrote:
You remind me of kraftiekortie and cyberdad. When there were little reporting, they thought things were coming to an end.
I'm not sure I ever said that? ... .... While I respect your penchant for numbers/math ypu are neither a microbiologist, psychologist or an epidemiologist so please be careful not to come across as arrogant.

Hi, Cyberdad. :) It wasn't me that said that, it was Elkonabridge. Please could you edit that, ( removing the remnant [quote="ouinon2"] ), while you still can? Thank you very much. :)

Last edited by ouinon2 on 07 Mar 2020, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 12:10 am

At work they gave us a briefing about basic hygiene stuff (because of the corona-virus), which I skimmed and put away silently rolling my eyes that the company thinks people needs to be told this. Only to hear one of my coworkers make a remark along the lines of that this is all BS since it only affects old people. Had to stand somewhere else during that meeting just prevent getting a meltdown about such a self centred attitude.

In other news there have been 128 registered cases in the Netherlands (with most cases in the Southern half of the country) with one reported dead in Rotterdam.

Last edited by Sigbold on 07 Mar 2020, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.