Page 480 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 535  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 7:40 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Unless it's a military grade gas mask it will not keep out a virus.

Masking doesn't keep the virus out, it helps to prevent one from expelling respiratory droplets that contain the virus.

So yeah, simply wearing a mask doesn't protect you as much as everyone else masking up does.

...but that's too hard for most Americans to understand... :roll: (not an attack on you, BTW, just a general vent)

I have a N95 and wear another cloth mask over it.
I thought an N95 filtered out everything.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 12:23 pm

Misslizard wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Unless it's a militarymedical grade gas mask it will not keep out a virus.

Masking doesn't keep the virus out, it helps to prevent one from expelling respiratory droplets that contain the virus.

So yeah, simply wearing a mask doesn't protect you as much as everyone else masking up does.

...but that's too hard for most Americans to understand... :roll: (not an attack on you, BTW, just a general vent)

I thought an N95 filtered out almost everything.
One of my Retireds is from Information Security. We accepted it as a given that no defense would be perfect so it was considered routine to practice Defense in Depth. It appears to me the same concept applies to the Pandemic.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 11:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I've been thinking about that. I have an event to go to soon...it's outdoors I think, but it's still going to be quite a few people, and I'm a bit worried.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 9:14 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I've been thinking about that. I have an event to go to soon...it's outdoors I think, but it's still going to be quite a few people, and I'm a bit worried.

I’d wear a N95 and a face shield and stand well away from people.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 10:12 am

Axeman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

It's mutating so much because it's been through so many replications. RNA viruses like covid mutate quickly because RNA polymerase lacks proofreading.

Point of information : the Corona viru families of which Sats- Co-V2 is a member are unusual among RNA virus because they Do have proof reading enzymes.

Variation rates are slower than other viruses (Influenza springs to mind) giving adaptive immunity a better chance to play catch up with evolution in the virus.

It appears to be the case that the various variants manage a degree of escape from, for example, antibodies induced by catching and surviving the disease, but fare less well at evading antibodies and T-cells induced by vaccination.

What is becoming clear is that in places with high levels of vaccination, the numbers of people and percentage of people testing positive For Infection ending up in hospital or dead are very small, while in places where vaccination uptake has been low, the number of people ending up in hospital are high and business is still good for the undertaker.

Events of real life are confirming the results of the trials of the successful vaccines : they have induced immunity which gives very good protection against serious illness and death.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 2:06 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

It's mutating so much because it's been through so many replications. RNA viruses like covid mutate quickly because RNA polymerase lacks proofreading.

Point of information : the Corona viru families of which Sats- Co-V2 is a member are unusual among RNA virus because they Do have proof reading enzymes.

Variation rates are slower than other viruses (Influenza springs to mind) giving adaptive immunity a better chance to play catch up with evolution in the virus.

It appears to be the case that the various variants manage a degree of escape from, for example, antibodies induced by catching and surviving the disease, but fare less well at evading antibodies and T-cells induced by vaccination.

What is becoming clear is that in places with high levels of vaccination, the numbers of people and percentage of people testing positive For Infection ending up in hospital or dead are very small, while in places where vaccination uptake has been low, the number of people ending up in hospital are high and business is still good for the undertaker.

Events of real life are confirming the results of the trials of the successful vaccines : they have induced immunity which gives very good protection against serious illness and death.

You are correct just read a paper on it. It's because covids RNA genome is quite large by viral measures.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 2:15 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Unless it's a military grade gas mask it will not keep out a virus.

I meant the only thing that will protect you for 100 percent is a fully sealed gas mask with a charcoal filter. Yes a paper or cloth mask is much more for the protection of others as in keeping your germs to yourself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:37 pm

Austin, Texas, activates emergency alert system as COVID crisis reaches "critical" point

Quote:
Austin, Texas, issued an emergency alert this weekend over the "severely worsening COVID-19 situation," which has reached a "critical" point, officials said.

Why it matters
: The Warn Central Texas alert system was designed to be activated during a disaster. "Our hospitals are severely stressed and there is little we can do to alleviate their burden with the surging cases," Austin-Travis County Health Authority's Desmar Walkes said in a statement.

The public has to act now and help our we will face a catastrophe in our community that could have been avoided."

Walkes

"Hospital bed availability and critical care is extremely limited in our hospital systems, not just for COVID-19 patients, but for anyone who may need treatment," Walkes added. "The community has to come together again and stave off disaster."

Nurse shortage comes as COVID cases surge again in Houston
Quote:
Houston hospitals are stretched to surge capacity as COVID-19 numbers continue to rise in the area.

New numbers from the Texas Medical Center COVID-19 dashboard show a weekly average of 3,318 people are testing positive every day and an average of 320 patients are being admitted to hospitals daily.

TMC CEO Bill McKeon said that even though Phase 1 and Phase 2 ICU capacity is still 88% full, hospitals can expand by converting regular beds to intensive care beds.

The problem is staffing the surge capacity beds.

“The only ones who can be by the bedside of our very sick patients are our nurses. You can imagine the emotional impact it’s had on them. Many have taken other jobs, taken early retirement. We are at a national issue with the nursing shortage,” McKeon said.

Baby with COVID-19 airlifted 150 miles because of hospital bed shortage
Quote:
An 11-month-old Texas girl who was diagnosed with COVID-19 needed to be airlifted 150 miles away to another hospital due to hospital bed shortages.

The baby, who tested positive for the coronavirus, was suffering seizures and had to be intubated. However, she had initially been brought to Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital, which doesn’t have pediatric services, and no other major hospitals in the Houston area that offered pediatric services had beds available.

She was transported by an air ambulance to Baylor Scott & White McLane Children’s Medical Center – Temple on Thursday.

Since arriving the baby has made “an amazing recovery,” Dominic Lucia, a pediatric emergency doctor and chief medical officer at the hospital, told CNN.

“She’s no longer requiring the breathing machine. She’s actually off that right now … and she’s actually resting with mom,” Lucia said. “She’s looking great.”

However, as the delta variant has become more prominent, the doctor cited a recent surge in cases, including among children.

“With the delta variant we certainly are seeing just more infectivity across the population that includes kids. That includes infants as well,” Lucia said. “And with this particular surge we are seeing more kids that are symptomatic that test positive, more babies that are symptomatic and test positive.”

Covid vaccine mandates sweep across corporate America as delta variant spurs action
Quote:
The U.S. government may not require that everyone get Covid-19 vaccines, but large employers across corporate America are stepping into the void.

More than a dozen large U.S. corporations, including Walmart, Google, Tyson Foods and United Airlines, have recently announced vaccine mandates for some or all of their workers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 1:07 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“The only ones who can be by the bedside of our very sick patients are our nurses. You can imagine the emotional impact it’s had on them. Many have taken other jobs, taken early retirement. We are at a national issue with the nursing shortage,” McKeon said.

Ive heard it's going to be really bad come Fall/Winter, and a lot of nurses are planning to find other jobs before then.

It's going to be a mess.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
More than a dozen large U.S. corporations, including Walmart, Google, Tyson Foods and United Airlines, have recently announced vaccine mandates for some or all of their workers.

That's what happened to my GF. She kept trying to call Tyson back, and when she finally got through, they had raised their pay by $3 and said they require vaccines now.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 2:31 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I've heard it's going to be really bad come Fall/Winter, and a lot of nurses are planning to find other jobs before then.

It's going to be a mess.

This was not mentioned in the article but I wonder how many nurses are saying no more because of not only dealing with what nurses have to deal with during a surge, and not only the personal risk to themselves, but go through that and putting myself and my family at risk to help people that deliberately put themselves in this situation?

More than a dozen large U.S. corporations, including Walmart, Google, Tyson Foods, and United Airlines, have recently announced vaccine mandates for some or all of their workers.
SabbraCadabra wrote:
That's what happened to my GF. She kept trying to call Tyson back, and when she finally got through, they had raised their pay by $3 and said they require vaccines now.

Demand outpaced availability until the Johnson and Johnson pause whereby demand cratered. No amount of persuasion, no amount of you have got to get weekly test requirments would persuade. The skeptics knew that as far as mask mandates and social distancing are concerned it is difficult and costly so it will be the vaccinated complying and them ignoring the mandates and laughing at the wusses". It is only now that companies are deciding vaccines is an employment requirement that the vaccination rates are going up. There is no "civil rights" and freedom issues here, it the companies exercising their freedom. They have decided the cost of having outbreaks among their employees was greater than the cost of enforcing a vaccine mandate. This is still going to be overly costly in money and customer loyalty for small companies to enforce. I have to wonder if this will be like before, whereby mandates created demand will work to a certain point and that point will not be enough to create herd immunity leading to long-term or lifelong preventable mitigation?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 10:22 am

We have only eight ICU beds left in the whole state.
This will be awful if there is a mass casualty event.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... utchinson/

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 2:09 pm

I guess in some places the number of ICU beds might be less relevant because you'd have trouble calling for an ambulance.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 5:50 pm

The new variant is even worse.
https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/v ... o-vaccines

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 6:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Poe wrote a story about an arrogant prince who thought he could ignore a plague in his land. I think it's particularly relevent now.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This was not mentioned in the article but I wonder how many nurses are saying no more because of not only dealing with what nurses have to deal with during a surge, and not only the personal risk to themselves, but go through that and putting myself and my family at risk to help people that deliberately put themselves in this situation?

I think it's a little bit of everything.

Plus, I know when West Michigan had all of its hospitals at max capacity, a lot of workers were catching Covid and having to stay home...so they were understaffed and overworked, everyone was so tired, and they had to bring help in from other states/countries. They were offering HUGE incentives for people to come work for them. It got so bad that they started letting sick people come in to work (if they felt well enough to work), but they had to stay isolated with the Covid patients.