Neanderthal DNA has been implicated in autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

flibbit
Raven
Raven

Yesterday, 1:56 pm

Hi, everyone. I promised I'd be back! :D

My team and I just published a paper today in Nature: Molecular Psychiatry reporting on the discovery that a subset of Neanderthal DNA appears to be playing a role in autism. We studied black non-Hispanic, white Hispanic, and white non-Hispanic autistics and the trend was the same across all these groups compared to ethnically-matched non-autistics/allistics.

Before you ask, just in case any of you don't know me from Adam (which is probably most of you nowadays), I'm #ActuallyAutistic and have been a long time member of WP, including under a different handle (Sophist) in the metaphorical "ancient times" aka 2004-ish. I was also a mod on here for awhile.

Original Article:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-024-02593-7

Lay-friendly blog:
https://go.nature.com/3WrWJxg

Let me know if you all have any questions!

~Sophist/flibbit/Emily...

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.

MoeTrashPanda
Raven
Raven

Yesterday, 2:21 pm

WOAH!! That is so freaking cool!! I am reading your paper right now! I feel a little bit dumb with some of these big technical words/phrases, but I'm getting the gist of what you all are writing about. The abstract, background, and conclusion paragraphs are making the most sense to me hehe.

I like reading about this because I have a very small amount of Neanderthal DNA and I'm also autistic. I suspect my father (who also has Neanderthal DNA) also has autism.

Thanks for sharing your paper! Wonderfully done (though my unprofessional opinion probably doesn't matter!) ʕ•ᴥ<ʔ!

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:30 pm

Its been speculated about for some years now...that autism could be legacy of hybridization with Neanderthals back in the stone age. Maybe there is some truth to it.

flibbit
Raven
Raven

Yesterday, 2:44 pm

MoeTrashPanda wrote:
WOAH!! That is so freaking cool!! I am reading your paper right now! I feel a little bit dumb with some of these big technical words/phrases, but I'm getting the gist of what you all are writing about. The abstract, background, and conclusion paragraphs are making the most sense to me hehe.

I like reading about this because I have a very small amount of Neanderthal DNA and I'm also autistic. I suspect my father (who also has Neanderthal DNA) also has autism.

Thanks for sharing your paper! Wonderfully done (though my unprofessional opinion probably doesn't matter!) ʕ•ᴥ<ʔ!

Glad you like it! :)

naturaplastic wrote:
Its been speculated about for some years now...that autism could be legacy of hybridization with Neanderthals back in the stone age. Maybe there is some truth to it.

Yep, rdos was the first to propose the idea. I remember it from back when. I've linked one of his papers in the Discussion section of the paper.

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:17 pm

:roll:

Oh, good grief!

What has NOT been implicated in causing autism?

Seriously, it seems that every week someone is trying to become famous for announcing that they alone know what causes autism.  NO ONE KNOWS what causes autism, and these "announcements" do nothing to make life better for people with autism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 17 May 2024, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:22 pm

Who, or what, is "rdos"?

Ive actually run across that word before in connection with anthropology.

Bestiola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Today, 1:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Who, or what, is "rdos"?

Ive actually run across that word before in connection with anthropology.

the Swedish dude: https://www.rdos.net/eng/