Teacher who dragged autistic boy not going to prison

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 5:25 am

Teacher seen on video dragging boy with autism down hall in Kentucky will avoid prison

Quote:
A former Wurtland Elementary School teacher who video showed dragging a boy with autism down a hallway could be back in the classroom in two years, according to media reports.

Trina Abrams pleaded guilty to fourth-degree assault and was sentenced Wednesday to 120 days of home confinement, court records show.

The mother of the boy, Angel Nelson, told The Daily Independent that Abrams “has not shown remorse” after dragging her then-third grade son down the Greenup County school hallway in October 2018.
After he let go of the chair, she grabbed him by the wrist and drug him down the hallway from one classroom into another, according to school video footage,” Nelson wrote. “The camera within the classroom had previously been turned towards the corner, so unfortunately there is no video in the classroom.

“According to my son, she threw him hard down onto a chair,” she added. “Beyond this, we will never truly know what took place behind that closed door because of my son’s speech limitations.”

The boy suffered a sprained wrist as a result of the incident, which also destroyed his shoes, Nelson wrote. Her then 9-year-old son has been diagnosed with autism, ADHD, PTSD, anxiety and depression, she said.

Abrams was “removed from the school” following the incident, the school district said in a statement to WSAZ.

Kentucky State Police launched an investigation and charged Abrams with fourth-degree assault on Jan. 2, 2019, court records show.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman