Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 4:46 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Disgusting,she is a child.

I wonder if she wore makeup, false eyelashes and painted on eyebrows like many young women her age, would people still call her a child? Add in some facial piercings!

At my age anyone under twenty is a child.I am now an old foogie.
I think it was in bad taste,sexual assault alway is no matter what the age or sex.

I’m an older fogie! The drawing does sound to be in bad taste. I wasn’t disagreeing with you, but you were the first to mention “child”, so I quoted you.

Greta is almost always referred to as a child, but she is seventeen. In her home country she is of age to have consensual sex, but she won’t legally be an adult there until she turns 18. Google tells me that 18 is the general age in the US also. Canada is 18 or 19, but like your country was once 21.

But I do wonder if she wore makeup and changed her hairstyle and style of dressing, would people continue to call her child? (Personally, I think she looks just fine!)

I live in a rural area so most girls and women go light on the make up or none.I would describe her look as “fresh faced.” It suits her well.She most likely would look older with makeup and different hairstyle ,probably people would think of her as older.
Age of consent in Arkansas is 16.
Age of majority is 18, but no drinking till 21.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 4:48 pm

Disturbing. But as Greta tweeted, the anger is a sign the oil workers are starting to feel threatened by CC activism.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 4:52 pm

Maybe this thread could tell us all something about the risks of seeing only the trees and ignoring the forest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 5:01 pm

B19 wrote:
Maybe this thread could tell us all something about the risks of seeing only the trees and ignoring the forest.

I am not following you. Could you elaborate?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 5:08 pm

She means that's we're off topic, talking about gender rather than climate change and the political intent of that cartoon.

Sorry for veering off topic folks. I have a hard time staying quiet when I think of double standards. My bad.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 5:10 pm

Are the age and gender of the person in question even relevant?

(BTW I had no idea they make rape jokes about Putin 8O )

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 6:31 pm

Regardless of Greta's age or gender, this cartoon is a failure.

There's nothing witty, creative, or funny about the cartoon. Unlike much of Banksy's work, this doesn't express a meaningful political or cultural message. It expresses ignorance and stupidity.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 6:54 pm

The cultural message is misogyny used in an attempt to silence and intimidate such targets.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
This story sounds very similar to that of Jussie Smollett. And you know how that story turned out.

Are you really saying that Greta drew the cartoon put it on the internet to go viral to prove her opponents are misogynists?

No, I am saying a radical environmentalist might have generated it for publicity and a way to attack the deniers and oil companies. I suspect that the originator of this cartoon cannot remain secret for very long. Take a wait and see for a few days to determine who is really responsible for it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm

I just saw the image on Facebook. It's amazing what sick things that fear of the unknown can possess cowards to do.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm

Is anyone shocked? This is the level of decency reichwingers are known for.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:

They don't, the pictures depicting Trump and Putin are depicting consensual affection, not sexual assault. This is just a dishonest distraction, not a valid point.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:57 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
Greta is almost always referred to as a child, but she is seventeen. In her home country she is of age to have consensual sex, but she won’t legally be an adult there until she turns 18. Google tells me that 18 is the general age in the US also. Canada is 18 or 19, but like your country was once 21.

But I do wonder if she wore makeup and changed her hairstyle and style of dressing, would people continue to call her child? (Personally, I think she looks just fine!)

AoC in Canada is 16, for what it's worth.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 9:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

They don't, the pictures depicting Trump and Putin are depicting consensual affection, not sexual assault. This is just a dishonest distraction, not a valid point.

I certainly wasn't trying to distract or diminish, or be dishonest. I went on a tangent because my mind sees trees instead of forests and I microanalyse things by default.

Again, sorry for veering off topic in the way I did. I realise Trump and Putin was a bad comparison. I just meant to say that sex jokes about men being assaulted aren't usually considered as distasteful as those about women.

As a victim of sex assault myself I think I overcompensate by worrying about men's rights too.

Hugs to Greta.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
This story sounds very similar to that of Jussie Smollett. And you know how that story turned out.

Are you really saying that Greta drew the cartoon put it on the internet to go viral to prove her opponents are misogynists?

Not Greta personally - but it does smack of a publicity stunt to certain degree.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2020, 11:43 pm

I don't really think that's the point here. In some jurisdictions, she's of age to say "yes." In some, she isn't. But in all jurisdictions, she's of age to say "no." And by going out dressed in aspie-functional attire, no makeup, no jewelry, no fancy hair style, she's done everything possible to signal that she has no wish to call attention to sexuality. (Short of putting on a shirt with "no sex, please, I'm here to talk about climate change." printed on the front.)

So there is something seriously wrong with the guy who put together that clip art. It's a pictorial representation of sex with elements that clearly represent degradation of the female in the sex act. Ick factor #1. It's in a context that's very clearly meant to express contempt and degrade the very specific person represented in it. Ick factor #2. Because of who that person is, anything representing sex with her implicitly representing rape. Ick factor #3. Because of how old she
is, ick factor #4, and because of how old she looks, ick factor #5.

There is also something seriously wrong with the people who took those decals from the guy who was giving them out. And they are free to walk among us. Not something that makes this father sleep any easier at night.