Trump ignored pandemic warnings from January

Page 11 of 17 [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2020, 11:18 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm not thinking that C19 is the same as the flu. But as far as numbers go, it has barely scratched the surface worldwide as far as the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths caused by the flu in just the US.

So I personally am far from being alarmed by what I am seeing as far as the raw data goes, when put it into perspective.

My feelings have not changed regarding this since a month ago.

A month ago I was hearing how this was supposed to have killed several millions by April 1st.

It doesn't look like it is even going to reach 1 million cases by then not to mention deaths, which aren't even close to a 1/10th of a million.

So far predictions I have seen have fallen miles short of the mark.

The big issue is the % of infected who end up needing to be intubated (on respirators to help them breath).
This number is incredibly high as a percentage and it uses up valuable hospital resources at an unpredictable rate. This was the scenario that hit Italy so hard and many people who could have been helped and who could have survived ended up not because they had no medical to support to help them breath.

This is happening in NYC at this time and the healthcare providers are doing everything they can to keep the system below critical mass.

This is the really big variable not being accounted for by those who are comparing this to the flu.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:24 am

Roboto wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I'm not thinking that C19 is the same as the flu. But as far as numbers go, it has barely scratched the surface worldwide as far as the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths caused by the flu in just the US.

So I personally am far from being alarmed by what I am seeing as far as the raw data goes, when put it into perspective.

A month ago I was hearing how this was supposed to have killed several millions by April 1st.

It doesn't look like it is even going to reach 1 million cases by then not to mention deaths, which aren't even close to a 1/10th of a million.

The big issue is the % of infected who end up needing to be intubated (on respirators to help them breath).
This number is incredibly high as a percentage and it uses up valuable hospital resources at an unpredictable rate. This was the scenario that hit Italy so hard and many people who could have been helped and who could have survived ended up not because they had no medical to support to help them breath.

This is happening in NYC at this time and the healthcare providers are doing everything they can to keep the system below critical mass.

This is the really big variable not being accounted for by those who are comparing this to the flu.

I noticed you did not put a number in front of the %. Do you know what it is? And do you know what it is in comparison to overall intubations?

It's funny some people tell me how I lack empathy, but I bet I'm the only one of them who has had to be intubated.

And the only one who clinically died once over respiratory issues.

Last edited by EzraS on 31 Mar 2020, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2020, 11:24 am

I actually do worry about my loved ones in cars, not on a daily basis, but typically car accidents are the first thing I think of when a family member is horrendously late and hasn't called. Then I get worried if I don't hear of them. Don't accuse me of having a lack of empathy, for car accidents at least. Fact is, I don't even drive, I don't even want to drive, because of the risk. (I consider that a personal thing rather than a thing I think everyone should worry about.)

Also EzraS, I apologize if it came across like I was accusing you of having a total lack of empathy, I only meant in this particular situation you seem to have little empathy for the victims given the widespread news coverage, you cannot claim ignorance and neither can you claim that the situation is not affecting you (since I'd say most people are being affected by situation, economically at least). Yet you consistently say it's not a big deal and it feels like you are trying to tell people there's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Do you even know what the top ten things that kill people are?

I've looked it up quite a few times and while I can't say I worry about all top ten things on a day to day basis. I worry about heart attacks and heart disease (Which make me against junk food and the fast food industry) I worry about Alzheimers, because my grandmother has it, I worry about cancer, because anyone can get it. I worry about diabetes because my family has a history. I worry about car accidents because it is dangerous.

However, I don't typically think of tuberculosis as a problem or diarrheal disease. Is that a lack of empathy, I would say yes. I am unable to empathize with people whose most common cause of death is either tuberculosis or diarrheal diseases. Should I care, I think so. But it is difficult to put yourself in the shoes of people when you are unable to understand their situation or are unfamiliar with their situation and are unaffected by it.

The media should do more reports related to the top ten causes of death, they should focus their efforts on addressing these problems. Is it because of their lack of empathy, I also say yes. Because the media is a business, there's not a lot of empathy going on there.

Also as to your last statement! YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES, IF THEY DON'T BOTHER TO LOOK IT UP THEY DON'T ACTUALLY GIVE A CRAP. A lot of people like to spout things and ignore what the opposing side is saying and with no data to back them up. I hate hypocrites and strive not to be one.

I disagree with a lot of things you say EzraS, but a few of your views I do completely share.

P.S. I'm all for public transportation and automated driving, because I know humans make mistakes and car accidents could be mitigated if the investment was made into public transportation and AI driving. But that's in the future I just hope it can come to pass, then those drunk drivers will no longer have an excuse when they kill somebody, (OH I WAS JUST HAVING A COUPLE OF DRINKS, it was an accident, it wasn't my fault F*** you, someone died. Sorry little rant, I feel bad about car accidents, but what I hate is drunk driving since that feels like intentional manslaughter (murder) when someone dies or gets maimed for life.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:30 am

Roboto wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Maybe I am wrong but I am under the impression the problem is more so many cases happening at once combined with a lack of pre preparation rather then percentage of severe cases.

I would have thought that after 9/11 we would have feared a bio terror attack enough to have been much more prepared.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:34 am

@Confused_Sloth In my opinion reason why people are reacting so differently to this than everything else that kills people by the millions, is because they are panicking.

It's okay to panic. I have had a few panic episodes over this myself. But I recognize panic for what it is. And then I reason with myself.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Roboto wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Maybe I am wrong but I am under the impression the problem is more so many cases happening at once combined with a lack of pre preparation rather then percentage of severe cases.

I would have thought that after 9/11 we would have feared a bio terror attack enough to have been much more prepared.

We probably were back then, for a while.

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2020, 11:38 am

That they are EzraS, It'd be more beneficial if people stopped panicking and simply followed the advice of their respective governments.

There's no need to hoard masks that hurts the hospitals, there's no need to hoard hand sanitizer, what if people who need them can't get them.

Panic has detrimental effects, but I think that taking this too lightly would also have detrimental effects.

Best is to take this seriously, hunker down for two or so weeks and realize that it's not the end of the world.

But people love to panic I think. 2012, Y2K, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, or whatever other event you can think of. I don't know why that is, could be interesting to research.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:48 am

Yeah but the thing is some are purposing hunkering down for 10 weeks, like the governor of Virginia. And over all they are getting tighter and tighter about things, apparently making even taking a stroll through the park illegal. That too still has a peak to reach apparently.

People are panicking and hoarding, because they are afraid literally everything is going to be shut down, due to those calling the shots overreacting.

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2020, 12:07 pm

My own opinion is that they should've been strict when they were only 50 cases, and then hunker down 2 weeks and stop.

But now it's too late, things are too widespread. Half measures don't do anything.

The leaders under-reacted initially and now they are over-reacting to try to compensate, but the sudden change in position just causes people to panic.

I mean I'd advise you to send a letter to your congressman about your concerns (But I've done things like that in the past, not very helpful) but there's not much we can do on the ground without doing more harm (Protests are a bad idea during an epidemic.)

Sad as it is, we have to trust the current leaders to get us through this crisis. It's not like we can or have time to elect new ones right now. Not listening to them would lead to disruption and that will likely have negative effects.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2020, 4:02 pm

EzraS wrote:
Roboto wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I noticed you did not put a number in front of the %. Do you know what it is? And do you know what it is in comparison to overall intubations?

It's funny some people tell me how I lack empathy, but I bet I'm the only one of them who has had to be intubated.

And the only one who clinically died once over respiratory issues.

I don't have an exact number for the nation as those in hospitals are too busy trying to help people than to be collecting numbers...
But, the hospital my wife works in has beds overflowing into several other departments to make room for the overflow. You can also read up on why things went the way they did in Italy and see how a massive amount of people infected in a short amount of time is a worst case scenario that has overwhelmed medical systems in other countries. This isn't an opinion. There are examples of this that have occurred.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 5:43 pm

EzraS wrote:
Yeah but the thing is some are purposing hunkering down for 10 weeks, like the governor of Virginia. And over all they are getting tighter and tighter about things, apparently making even taking a stroll through the park illegal. That too still has a peak to reach apparently.

People are panicking and hoarding, because they are afraid literally everything is going to be shut down, due to those calling the shots overreacting.

You don't get to dictate the rules to the virus. Unless you are advocating that millions of people should die, we are not overreacting by taking precautions to save millions of lives.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 6:58 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/republi ... glRC2rbiWc

Here's something to think about. For the sake of not being raked over the coals, I'll leave it at that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-trust-trump-more-than-cdc-coronavirus-new-poll-shows-2020-3?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sf-insider-main&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Yuy8vKGqdswK08Y7GAd7ZyBvByzBbn00O4kpxIzbvQJFVsglRC2rbiWc

Here's something to think about. For the sake of not being raked over the coals, I'll leave it at that.

Republicans trust Trump over the CDC....that's appalling...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:17 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
EzraS wrote:

You don't get to dictate the rules to the virus. Unless you are advocating that millions of people should die, we are not overreacting by taking precautions to save millions of lives.

That's good to hear since I have not dictated any rules. I have just *gasp heaven forbid* questioned things.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-trust-trump-more-than-cdc-coronavirus-new-poll-shows-2020-3?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sf-insider-main&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Yuy8vKGqdswK08Y7GAd7ZyBvByzBbn00O4kpxIzbvQJFVsglRC2rbiWc

You really can't see BS when you're looking at it. Business insider referrers you to a CBS clip where they say a poll says 53% of Americans say Trump is doing a good job when it comes to handling the coronavirus. And it's not 53% of Americans, that is a lie. It is 53% of the 1000 Americans who were polled. It's amazing to me how people just go along with what they read and hear without putting an ounce of thought into it.

A majority of Republicans think Trump is "The Chosen One," and used to think that Obama was the Antichrist, or at least foreign born and a Muslim. Is it really a stretch to give this credence?

I think its concerning that these republicans would now choose to listen to Trump over an agency paid by their own tax dollars to protect their health??

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 10:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You really can't see BS when you're looking at it. Business insider referrers you to a CBS clip where they say a poll says 53% of Americans say Trump is doing a good job when it comes to handling the coronavirus. And it's not 53% of Americans, that is a lie. It is 53% of the 1000 Americans who were polled. It's amazing to me how people just go along with what they read and hear without putting an ounce of thought into it.

A majority of Republicans think Trump is "The Chosen One," and used to think that Obama was the Antichrist, or at least foreign born and a Muslim. Is it really a stretch to give this credence?

Similarly:
A majority of Democrats (and the media) think Trump is "the Antichrist" and used to think that Obama was "The Chosen One". Is it really a stretch to query the results of the poll and how they were presented?