Why do Asian People Wear Surgical Masks?

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 6:54 pm

I looked at numerous videos of street tours of Asian cities and in the vast majority of each, very few people were wearing masks.

So I do not see how mask wearing is popular in Japan, China, Taiwan etc when I see hundreds of people going by in big cities without masks.

I see the same thing in Google map street views.

About 1 in 10 people wearing masks in major Asian cities.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:07 pm

Pull off your underwear and wrap it around your face.

Sweaty, unwashed undies work best because the odor scares away the virus.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
According to the WHO
If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others. So masks are crucial for health and social care workers looking after patients and are also recommended for family members who need to care for someone who is ill – ideally both the patient and carer should have a mask.

However, masks will probably make little difference if you’re just walking around town or taking a bus so there is no need to bulk-buy a huge supply.

How much do they pay you to repeat the lie? Are you working for the Chinese government?

I don't like conspiracy theories, but I am starting to wonder.

Last edited by eikonabridge on 21 Mar 2020, 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:46 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
According to the WHO, If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others. So masks are crucial for health and social care workers looking after patients and are also recommended for family members who need to care for someone who is ill – ideally both the patient and carer should have a mask. However, masks will probably make little difference if you’re just walking around town or taking a bus so there is no need to bulk-buy a huge supply.
How much do they pay you to repeat the lie? Are you working for the Chinese government? ...
It's the truth, and there is no need to insult him for it.

And if you really don't like conspiracy theories, then stop spreading them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
And if you really don't like conspiracy theories, then stop spreading them.

Point taken.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 9:47 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
According to the WHO
If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others. So masks are crucial for health and social care workers looking after patients and are also recommended for family members who need to care for someone who is ill – ideally both the patient and carer should have a mask.

However, masks will probably make little difference if you’re just walking around town or taking a bus so there is no need to bulk-buy a huge supply.

How much do they pay you to repeat the lie? Are you working for the Chinese government?

I am not working for any government Jason. I am trying to understand the best approach to avoid getting infected and my family. Currently the information is conflicting. Although I am willing to wear a mask (if it provides minimal protection) when going to the shops, the problem is finding masks in stock...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 10:58 pm

I have always usually worn a mask during cold and flu season due to how badly even a cold can effect my breathing. Last year I was put on Prednisone and a Ventolin HFA inhaler for the common cold I got. So I certainly am not against wearing masks. Both for the sake of helping prevent transmitting and receiving viruses. I just know from viewing extensive crowded city footage that most people in Asian countries do not wear them as claimed.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 11:40 pm

Dear EzraS,
I went to my usual grocery store this morning, March 21, and believe me, masks are being worn, and not just by Asians.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 11:51 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Dear EzraS,
I went to my usual grocery store this morning, March 21, and believe me, masks are being worn, and not just by Asians.

The claim as I understood it is that most people in Asian countries commonly wear masks.But after viewing extensive touring of cities in Asian countries I know that to be incorrect.

I do not know where you live, but if you are in a western country and you are seeing a lot of mask wearing, that would indicate the claim that people in western countries do not wear masks is also incorrect.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 11:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
According to the WHO

I am not working for any government Jason. I am trying to understand the best approach to avoid getting infected and my family. Currently the information is conflicting. Although I am willing to wear a mask (if it provides minimal protection) when going to the shops, the problem is finding masks in stock...

Cyber I posted a link here showing how to make your own mask from kitchen roll rubber bands and staples. They are effective. Here it is again, no need to understand french, after the first minute it is completely visual:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9317523873

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 12:33 am

Teach51 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
According to the WHO

Cyber I posted a link here showing how to make your own mask from kitchen roll rubber bands and staples. They are effective. Here it is again, no need to understand french, after the first minute it is completely visual:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9317523873

Thanks! yes I can see it looks straight forward. The humiliation of wearing stapled rubber bands around my ears might be worth it to avoid infection

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 12:34 am

It would seem that around 70-80%% of Asians are wearing them in my supermarket. In Melbourne it's not just east asians but south Asians are pulling out their masks as well.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 2:15 am

EzraS wrote:
The claim as I understood it is that most people in Asian countries commonly wear masks.

No one ever said "most people in Asian countries wear masks" before the COVID-19. If you have to get into the number game, it simply shows that you have never been to East Asia, period. I have been there 3 times in the previous 3 years, I don't need numbers, I don't need pictures, I don't even need Google. I see them with my own eyes. No one on earth ever said "most people in Asian countries wear masks." (Before COVID-19). They simply say "people in Asian countries wear masks" or "Why do so many Asians wear mask in their countries?" The "many" there is relative, is in comparison with Western countries, where basically zero person wears a mask. I am sorry for your lack of international traveling experience. But that's how people describe what they see in East Asia. And it's not just me, anyone that have ever set their foot in East Asia say the same thing I say. The fact that you have to argue about it, immediately shows you have never been there.

Take a look for yourself with a Google search, and see how many people talk about Japanese wearing masks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Japanese+custom+of+wearing+masks&oq=Japanese+custom+of+wearing+masks

Let's take for example this article:
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/the-mask-behind-the-mask-culture-in-japan/

Quote:
For the last two years, I’ve visited my nearby Family Mart to pick up bottled water and my other convenience store needs. I often pay the same worker, but I’ve never seen his face — only his eyes and forehead.

For the last year, I’ve taught at a university in Tokyo. In that time, I’ve had several students who wore white masks every single day of class. Never once did they remove it.

A lot has been written regarding mask use in Japan, but it was when I heard that a few employers were beginning to require their workers to wear the mask that I started to feel this should be addressed. The straw that broke the camel’s back for me, however, was when I started seeing different colors and designs. Seeing these face coverings — and what seems to be an over-saturation of their use — upset me at first. Simply because — while we all have our own existential love-hate relationship with the human race — I still want to like people and when interacting with someone, seeing their entire face helps me measure how they feel about me, and, well, how they feel about themselves, too. ...

You do have learning disability and you know it and you admit it. It takes forever for you to understand even the most basic things that other people don't get confused about. No one else misunderstood what I have written. It's you and only you.

Last edited by eikonabridge on 22 Mar 2020, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 2:29 am

I there are extensive video tours of Asian cities with large numbers of pedestrians. In them I did not see many wearing masks. Even in winter. I saw about 1 out of 10. And I posted video evidence. Extensive video evidence is considerably more solid than hearsay.

You have no idea what the perimeters of my learning disabilities are. You are drawing conclusions based on no practical knowledge whatsoever. When you posted your 4 point interpretation of my views regarding the covid-19 situation, you are the one who demonstrated poor comprehension of what I have been saying, which I had to correct.

There have been way too many intelligent people here, who have known me for years, who have said quite the opposite of what you are saying regarding my ability to comprehend and interpret.

Last edited by EzraS on 22 Mar 2020, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 2:36 am

EzraS wrote:
I saw about 1 out of 10. And I posted video evidence. Extensive video evidence is considerably more solid than hearsay.

You are showing things that everyone has seen with their own eyes, once they set their foot in East Asia. And they have seen more than what you are able to find. No one else gets confused, no one needs to Google for that type of "evidences," it's you and only you.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 2:53 am

Callafiriel wrote:
I was under the impression that a lot of people in East Asia also wear masks because of air polution in those countries.

That was what I thought, also.
Pollution, including allergy concerns.

eikonabridge wrote:
Fnord wrote:
And no, I have never seen anyone "freak out" over the sight of someone else in a surgical mask, unless that person was also threatening a bank teller with a gun.

Australia: Hong Kong student accused of having coronavirus was 'punched for wearing a face mask
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-20/coronavirus-hong-kong-student-assaulted-for-wearing-face-mask/12075470
Vietnamese woman claims she was attacked in Australia for wearing a mask
https://vietnamnews.vn/society/653826/vietnamese-woman-claims-she-was-attacked-in-australia-for-wearing-a-mask.html

New York City: Coronavirus hate attack: Woman in face mask allegedly assaulted by man who calls her 'diseased'
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-hate-attack-woman-face-mask-allegedly-assaulted-man-who-n1130671

UK: Coronavirus: Chinese student in Sheffield ‘attacked for wearing face mask’
https://thetab.com/uk/sheffield/2020/01/31/coronavirus-latest-advice-sheffield-chinese-student-41906

If you think someone has a disease, the best thing to do is touch them, yes. <irony>