Why do Asian People Wear Surgical Masks?

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 3:29 am

Pepe wrote:
Amity wrote:
^Humour can be a reliable way of processing difficult information, for me a relaxed brain is more beneficial in these times, where we are essentially without power or control over the wider picture.

It doesnt necessarily imply indifference, just a different approach to thinking things through.

Oh, you are lovely. :heart:
Interested in coffee and cake, with a 7,000kms social distancing factor? :wink:

This is precisely how I see it.
It helps with morale, in these difficult times.

I was gutted by the bushfire tragedy, here in Australia.
Gained 3kgs through emotional distress eating.
I find humour an effective tonic.

At least the weight-gain seems to have stabilised.
Time to start taking it off, again. :wink:

^Lol and you are a rolling stone... you were showing promise until the hickey for Fnord bit, :lol: to each their own.
I had thoughts about using a balaclava/ski mask with sunglasses... but I think the association is a bit too raw for that idea. Aiming to have a laugh with another person instead of giving them a fright!
Jim Jeffries is a good chap for a laugh, though not everyone will lean towards his sense of humour.

From what I understand in parts of America like New York, it's illegal for a pair/more people to congregate in a public area while wearing masks/face coverings. I wonder how the health related masks will fare with that in mind?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 4:04 am

eikonabridge wrote:
Nope. I am autistic. Do you even realize your lack of understanding? You cannot even recognize someone on the spectrum.

Good lord! so I'm the only devilish NT on the news forum :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 4:05 am

alex wrote:
i've been wearing a 3m respirator with p100 filters. Image

You must be a hit with the girls Alex

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 4:08 am

Doubtfully the only NT here. But perhaps the only one who is devilish.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 4:44 am

Amity wrote:
Jim Jeffries is a good chap for a laugh, though not everyone will lean towards his sense of humour.

Ricky Gervais is great too.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 5:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Amity wrote:

Ricky Gervais is great too.

"An Idiot Abroad" (S1 I think) : Carl Pilkingtons observations about different countries seems so perceptive now. Edit to add, obviously not all of his observations, the ones that are skewed are just pure comedy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 5:13 pm

EzraS wrote:
Doubtfully the only NT here. But perhaps the only one who is devilish.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 8:35 am

Homemade-mask groups are popping up all over places, and some hospitals are starting to accept homemade masks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=million+mask+challenge

Some people are also using 3D laser printers to make face shield. It's like the earlier days of American Revolution, where housewives and militiamen contributed, too. I know it doesn't look particularly high-tech. But you feel good about people wanting to make a difference.

This virus propagates mainly through people touching contaminated spots, then touching their own faces. It does not seem to propagate through aerosol, as plenty of close relatives and healthcare workers of patients don't get infected. The face shields take care of the droplets. The face masks take care of preventing fingers touching people's faces.

Mask shortage was never an issue, as masks could be made at home. All this brings to the point: what if the European had tried to make their own masks, and wear them, from the onset of the outbreak?

My guess is this virus would have disappeared a few weeks ago. There would have been no need for lockdowns. Business would have continued as usual. Economy wouldn't have suffered. There would have been no need for frantically searching for miracle drugs/vaccines/test kits.

That's something for the Caucasians to reflect, for years to come. Why did they prefer people to die, people to have permanent health issues (e.g. lung fibrosis), people to suffer from the paralysis of economy, just because they didn't want to wear masks? Remember how an Italian MP was ridiculed by his colleagues for wearing a mask? Remember how a Swiss Councilwoman was kicked out of the meeting room for wearing a mask? Remember how Asians were assaulted for wearing masks?

Why did people let their cultural bias affect their rational thinking? Oh well, I know, it happens all the time. All the time.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 8:59 am

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

As we emerge from lockdowns, as businesses restart, we are counting on some degree of social distancing and on some protective measures, to make sure that the so-called R0 (R naught) be kept under 1. A big problem is people traveling on public transportation, including airplanes. Especially international flights. When there is no herd immunity, nor vaccines, I think the only practical solution is for people to wear surgical masks and carry hand sanitizers whenever they travel. And of course, exclude obviously-sick people from boarding.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 12:39 am

eikonabridge wrote:
That's something for the Caucasians to reflect, for years to come. Why did they prefer people to die, people to have permanent health issues (e.g. lung fibrosis), people to suffer from the paralysis of economy, just because they didn't want to wear masks? Remember how an Italian MP was ridiculed by his colleagues for wearing a mask? Remember how a Swiss Councilwoman was kicked out of the meeting room for wearing a mask? Remember how Asians were assaulted for wearing masks?

Why did people let their cultural bias affect their rational thinking? Oh well, I know, it happens all the time. All the time.

I've answered this question before....theres no face-masks because a certain group have hoarded all available stock - like they used to do with baby formula