No Special Councel to investigate Hunter Biden

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 1:21 pm

Barr says no need for special counsels to investigate election or Hunter Biden

Quote:
Attorney General William Barr on Monday rejected several of President Donald Trump's inflammatory and unfounded statements regarding the presidential election, saying at a news conference that he doesn't plan to appoint a special counsel to investigate President-elect Joe Biden's son Hunter or the election.

"If I thought a special counsel at this stage was a right tool and was appropriate, I would name one, but I haven't and I'm not going to," Barr said in response to a question on the presidential election. He said that widespread fraud wasn't found in this election.

Barr also roundly rejected suggestions from the President's supporters in recent days who've called for the US government to seize voting machines.

"I see no basis for seizure of machines by the federal government," Barr said Monday.

“There is fraud unfortunately in most elections, I think we're too tolerant of it," he said. But in this election, Barr said, he stands by the finding that there was no systemic or broad based fraud, a finding the President refuses to admit.

On the Hunter Biden financial investigation -- which the Biden transition acknowledged recently and Barr had kept quiet during the election season -- the attorney general gave a similar answer that there is no need for him to take special steps to protect the investigation.
"To the extent there's an investigation, I think it's being handled responsibly and professionally currently within the department, and to this point, I have not seen a reason to appoint a special counsel, and I have no plan to do so before I leave,"

He also declined to respond when asked if a President could pardon himself -- another topic of much debate in legal circles as the Trump presidency nears its end.

"Off the top of my head, I'm not going to opine on a constitutional issue as far as the pardon power goes," Barr said at the news conference.

On the SolarWinds cyber attack that affected several agencies in the US government, Barr said, "It certainly appears to be the Russians." Barr added that he agreed with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on this conclusion.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman