Jogger shot in Georgia for being Black

Page 2 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 1:50 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:

This topic is about a man named Ahmaud Arbery, your article is about a man named Ahmaud Avery.

Same man?

Even if it is the same guy, he still didn't deserve to get shot while just jogging.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 2:12 pm

BTDT wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ahmaud-arbery-gregory-travis-mcmichael-charged-murder/
Gregory, 64, and Travis, 34, were both charged with murder and aggravated assault. The men were taken into custody and will be booked into the Glynn County Jail, the bureau said.
Cellphone video showing the moment Arbery was killed has prompted national outrage since surfacing online on Tuesday afternoon.  In the 28-second video, Arbery, who is black, can be seen jogging around a neighborhood just outside the port city of Brunswick on a sunny afternoon on February 23.  The footage ends with three loud gunshots.

Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael, who are both white, told police they grabbed their guns and hopped in their truck to pursue Arbery after seeing him running in their neighborhood, because they believed he was responsible for several recent burglaries.  The father claimed his son got out of the truck holding a shotgun and was attacked by Arbery, according to a police report obtained by ABC News.  The two men tussled over the firearm before Arbery was shot, as seen in the cellphone video, which was allegedly taken by a bystander.

The McMichaels were charged with felony murder and aggregated assault charges.

There will be no hate crime charges.  There is no "hate crime" in Georgia -- the state is one of only four or five states left in the union that doesn't have any definition for "hate crime" in its legal code.

Don't count on the Trump administration getting federal prosecutors involved in this case, unless it's to find a way to pardon the McMichaels of their crimes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 11:56 pm

This would never have happened in California, New York, Washington state, et al.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 12:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Don't count on the Trump administration getting federal prosecutors involved in this case, unless it's to find a way to pardon the McMichaels of their crimes.

I wanted to say this the other day, and add they were "good people", but decided against it.

In all seriousness, I think Travis McMichael should be locked up for life. His father too. If it wasn't for the video they might have gotten away with it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 12:19 am

Fnord wrote:
The father claimed his son got out of the truck holding a shotgun and was attacked by Arbery, according to a police report obtained by ABC News.  The two men tussled over the firearm before Arbery was shot, as seen in the cellphone video, which was allegedly taken by a bystander.

Didn't George Zimmerman use the same story when he shot Trayvon Martin? Since when do joggers attack men with guns??

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 1:28 am

Last I have heard now charges have been filed...its messed up it took two months after the incident and a lot of people on the internet bitching to actually get charges filed. Like if it wasn't for internet people spreading the info around those pieces of s**t may have never been charged with murder. Even the state court tried to argue they had done nothing wrong and were just comitting a 'citizens arrest' but since when do you get to grab guns, jump in a pick up truck and hunt someone down because you think they look like a burglar and call that an actual citizens arrest?

Just sad it takes internet outrage to f*****g get those peices of s**t charged with the murder they commited.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 1:36 am

Somebody on this thread said Gregory McMichael is an ex-cop so might just be the wheels of justice slowed to a halt so they could protect one of their own.

Ex-cop reliving the glory days and in the case of Zimmerman a wannabe cop

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2020, 1:49 am

I just read about Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman... WTH, a teenager shot dead just for looking athletic and the shooter not only set free but making a campaign about how Obama "by far overstretched, overreached, even broke the law in certain aspects to where you have an innocent American being prosecuted by the federal government" 8O

So, according to this narrative, shooting dead a boy coming back from 7-11 with a bag of skittles is "innocent" 8O "basic freedom" 8O 8O 8O

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 2:04 am

magz wrote:
So, according to this narrative, shooting dead a boy coming back from 7-11 with a bag of skittles is "innocent" 8O "basic freedom" 8O 8O 8O

My theory is that the case also tested the gun lobby argument that one should be permitted to carry loaded weapons for self-protection. Both Zimmerman and McMichael used the flimsy "protecting the neighbourhood" argument and then justified killing by fabricating the narrative that the victim attacked them.

Gun lobby in the US influences how police and judges conduct themselves even when indirectly and in both cases it makes gun carrying look bad unless you spin it a particular way. Only reason why Zimmerman is walking the streets beating pregnant women and boasting to people how he killed a n***.....

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2020, 9:44 am

Zimmerman should never have approached Martin in the first place. His pursuit of Martin was racially motivated. Nonetheless, he was then attacked by Martin who smashed his head into the ground. This was confirmed both by witnesses and the medical evidence. The pictures are widely available and are even on the Wikipedia page. He shot him in self defence after screaming for help. Police arrived on the scene immediately afterward and arrested him. He was ultimately found not guilty of murder because he was acting in self defence.

I haven’t seen the video of this new incident and don’t want to, but I think it will be harder for the aggressors to make a case of self defence.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 8:00 pm

Surveillance video seems to show he was not jogging, and was peeking around the home construction site.

He enters the garage.

Time index 13:30.

Play at .25x playback speed to get an accurate time representation.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 10:34 pm

Technically he stopped at a construction site and looked in. Not exactly a criminal offence?

The police are likely to release CCTV footage from three other properties which were robbed so we can confirm if he is using jogging to stake out homes....

Even if he was robbing doesn't give civilians the right to kill him.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 6:34 pm

What they did is wrong but i dont know if it has anything to do with race. My neighborhood watch group on Facebook is suspicious if anyone walking at night and called anyone riding a bike a crack addict thief. There’s been taking of taking matters into their own a hands rather then calling the police who they say never do anything.

More reason for me not to take walks. I don’t look like I belong here since apparently everyone in neighborhood must be upper middle class and drive a car.

I see a lot of my neighbors in this store. The security cameras, the calling police cause guy was walking around a house. There’s been some theft so anyone walking at night or riding a bike must be the thief. Talks about beating kids with bats etc.

I’d wager it’s a middle class neighborhood thing not racism.

Edit
I just remember it was this bad when I was younger too, I’d walk with my friends half way to their house and we were talking and this angry guy comes out of his house across the street and accuses us of staking out his house and having broke into it days before. We were like wrf were just walking home. We moved on and he watched us for while. Glad he didn’t follow us or do like some are thinking and attack us with a bat.

Last edited by sly279 on 11 May 2020, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 6:44 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Zimmerman should never have approached Martin in the first place. His pursuit of Martin was racially motivated. Nonetheless, he was then attacked by Martin who smashed his head into the ground. This was confirmed both by witnesses and the medical evidence. The pictures are widely available and are even on the Wikipedia page. He shot him in self defence after screaming for help. Police arrived on the scene immediately afterward and arrested him. He was ultimately found not guilty of murder because he was acting in self defence.

I haven’t seen the video of this new incident and don’t want to, but I think it will be harder for the aggressors to make a case of self defence.

Yeah Zimmerman was self defense. He shouldn’t followed the guy and got into situation, but then one could say people shouldn’t gone down that dark alley in bad part of town. Making bad choices shouldn’t mean you can’t defend yourself

This case they chased some guy down with guns out. They guy is confronted with two armed mean chasing him and so makes a move to get the gun from the one.
To be comparable zim would have to approached the guy gun drawn. If I remember the Martian guy jumped zim for following him also a bad move.
When I’m followed I speed up and try to get to safely not jump the person following me, but I’m no fighter, if I get in fight I’ll lose and so I carry a gun or knife which might not guarantee I’ll live but give me fighting chance.
The gun people I watch side with the victim In this case and I agree with them saying if in his placed they’d draw their gun and shoot or try to get the gun if unarmed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 7:06 pm

I look at these from a different perspective.

I blame the gun lobby who abuse the amendment for the right to carry weapons to promote this idea citizens who carry loaded weapons have the right to intervene when they believe a crime is being committed. The police tell US citizens to not carry loaded weapons and act like vigilantes when the police are employed for this purpose.

In both cases the cops could have been called. There was no need to intervene as nobody was at risk.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 9:45 pm

As I said to a long-lost high school friend that I recently found again on Fac(k)ebook (after almost 45 years):

“Nice to know that Jim Crow is still alive and well in this country. Considering our nation’s past, it will never die! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I shocked the living daylights out of him with that statement. (Considering how liberal and sarcastic he can be). I’m surprised he didn’t block and unfriendly me!