Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:14 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You do realise that most non-left-wing partisan people would see "Nazi" as you meaning "Conservative", right?

That seems like the sort of thing conservatives shouldn't admit to if it's true. If you see the word Nazi and think 'hey, he means me' you're probably not a conservative but instead something worse. Conservatives don't view themselves as Nazis.

If other people misinterpret "Nazi" to mean anything other than "Nazi", that's on the listener, not the speaker. If someone says "I hate nazis" and someone else says "hey, I'm not a nazi", nobody pointed an arrow at that person, they pointed the arrow at their self all on their own. If someone hears "nazi" and take it to mean "conservative", that's THEIR connection that THEY made, all their own.

You are new here.
You don't know the history behind what I am saying. :wink:

:roll: You're kidding, right? But hey, why bother discussing THE POINT when you can just imply that I don't know what's going on. After all, avoiding a discussion is WAY easier than actually HAVING the discussion.

I'm not so new here that I don't know that being condescending and smug is one of your staples :wink:

No,
I never kid.
If you weren't a newbie,
You would have known that. :mrgreen:

Are these personal attacks?
Oh, dear. 8O

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:52 am

Magna wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I supposed it was assumed that since I only recently started posting, I must have only recently started visiting, and haven't spent the last year reading the forums and archives, and learning about who all is on the forum, before posting anything.

Welcome aboard, I feel like I'm going to be appreciating your ongoing contributions.

Thank you. I always scout a room before I jump on stage. "Know your audience" and such. I like to know who I'm talking to, and what kinds of responses I can expect. In addition to spending hours a day reading both new and old threads, I've also read individual user post histories. Makes it easier to spot patterns in behavior. I read the whole thread too, not just the individual comments, sans context. Because context matters.

I have a hard time believing that you've lurked for over a year, read people's post histories extensively, clearly have a taste for the PPR thread and you're only now jumping in. Either way enjoy the topsy-turvy world that is WP PPR.

That's ok. Facts aren't like Tinkerbell - they don't cease to exist just cos someone doesn't believe in it. However, I did join the middle of last year, that can be verified by my join date. I spend at least an hour or two a day just reading. I want to know people's minds. I don't need to ask questions, cos every question has already been asked a least 5 times over in the last decade, so I just use the magic Search button, find all the times it's already been discussed, and read those. That's why I don't post much - many of the answers are already out there floating around, just need to find them.

In the process, you start to notice certain people posting in consistent patterns. I don't claim to know everything about everyone, but certain people are more prominently visible, post a lot of the same stuff over and over, etc. Being more prominent, they stand out more in the mind. When I start to see patterns in behavior, I switch to individual histories. If someone claims another user said something in a particular thread, I'll go read that thread, too. Research is what I do.

And yes I post in PPR and News a lot, especially lately. Only recently have posts started surfacing that compelled me to chime in rather than sit and listen. I don't have too many strong opinions, but of the ones I do have, many of them are related to matters of equality, society, bigotry, and justice. Particularly, I believe in free speech. So one thing I will speak out about is when manipulation is used to try to silence others. I will point out when tactics are being used in bad faith, intentionally or not, so that they and others can see how things of that nature work, and how to navigate them.

I'm sure some people would accuse me of trying to silence them. However, while I have, and will, persistently disagree and explain my point, counter argue, express my opinions, and debate a matter, not once have I said or implied that anyone had to, should, or that I wanted them to, stop expressing their opinion, be quiet, stop arguing, or go away. I do continue to argue, but I don't tell anyone else to stop arguing.

I grew up in a time before things like autism and tourette were protected conditions under the federal disabilities act of 1990. I remember how difficult some things were before that, and how much better they got afterwards. Civil rights, human rights, are rather important to me as a result. I tend to be more vocal about it than other things. When things get weird like they are now, politically, racially, socially, I tend to talk about it even more.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:11 am

Pepe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You do realise that most non-left-wing partisan people would see "Nazi" as you meaning "Conservative", right?

That seems like the sort of thing conservatives shouldn't admit to if it's true. If you see the word Nazi and think 'hey, he means me' you're probably not a conservative but instead something worse. Conservatives don't view themselves as Nazis.

If other people misinterpret "Nazi" to mean anything other than "Nazi", that's on the listener, not the speaker. If someone says "I hate nazis" and someone else says "hey, I'm not a nazi", nobody pointed an arrow at that person, they pointed the arrow at their self all on their own. If someone hears "nazi" and take it to mean "conservative", that's THEIR connection that THEY made, all their own.

You are new here.
You don't know the history behind what I am saying. :wink:

:roll: You're kidding, right? But hey, why bother discussing THE POINT when you can just imply that I don't know what's going on. After all, avoiding a discussion is WAY easier than actually HAVING the discussion.

I'm not so new here that I don't know that being condescending and smug is one of your staples :wink:

No,
I never kid.
If you weren't a newbie,
You would have known that. :mrgreen:

Are these personal attacks?
Oh, dear. 8O

And I'm supposed to fall for that? You usually kid, often while being condescending and smug. Kinda like that^ Oh my! Good heavens! Is that a red herring? Is it a personal attack to tell someone who's being smug that they're being smug? Is "smug" such a soul crushing slight of character that you'd consider it an attack? You made a big song and dance about how much you're going to enjoy not being bothered by me - how is that not smug? Cos yes, my only purpose in life is to try to offend specifically you, for, um, reasons or something, I guess. Sure thing darling, I'm only here for you :roll:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:13 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I supposed it was assumed that since I only recently started posting, I must have only recently started visiting, and haven't spent the last year reading the forums and archives, and learning about who all is on the forum, before posting anything.

Welcome aboard, I feel like I'm going to be appreciating your ongoing contributions.

Another lefty who hasn't a chance of ruffling my feathers, err, fur. :mrgreen:

con·de·scend·ing
/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:14 am

Pepe wrote:
Magna wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Thank you. I always scout a room before I jump on stage. "Know your audience" and such. I like to know who I'm talking to, and what kinds of responses I can expect. In addition to spending hours a day reading both new and old threads, I've also read individual user post histories. Makes it easier to spot patterns in behavior. I read the whole thread too, not just the individual comments, sans context. Because context matters.

I have a hard time believing that you've lurked for over a year, read people's post histories extensively, clearly have a taste for the PPR thread and you're only now jumping in. Either way enjoy the topsy-turvy world that is WP PPR.

I have been attacked for many years, predominantly from those embracing the political party of compassion, and the higher moral ground. :mrgreen:
They made me a better person,
Because they made me stronger. :twisted:
Bring it on,
Bully boys. :ninja: :mrgreen:

smug
/sməɡ/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:17 am

So the person making the claim has the burden of proof to illustrate their point. Now that I've done so, I'll wait to hear how I've "attacked" people by following their own instructions.

The nature of an attack is that it's meant to harm. If having your own behavior pointed out to you, with no judgement of that behavior attached to it, causes harm, maybe the problem isn't the one observing the behavior...

And, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with being smug or condescending, or both. You have every right to be so, and I do not judge individuals for being so. I actually find the attitude kinda cute sometimes. But I'm sill not gonna pretend they aren't.

My own character is not without it's own flavor. I can be catastrophically insensitive, and sarcastic in the harshest sense of the word - knowing that I'm like that I take extra care to be clear of what I mean, and to use the best and most appropriate words I can think of.

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 25 Jun 2020, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:22 am

Remind me not to get on your bad side uncommondenominator.

My grammar and punctuation will surely fail a jousting duel.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:46 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Ding ding. Further, I thought conservatives disliked Nazis so much they often slander their liberal opponents as Nazis and fascists, so why the sudden sympathy for dead Nazis?

I thought I would only see that from liberals calling conservatives nazi/fascist. I don't remember the other way around.

However, those who apply the term to their opponents are usually the real fascists. :twisted:

Tucker Carlson accuses most people he disagrees with of it on a daily basis. Posters on here regularly insist ANTIFA are fascist. Have you really never encountered this or were you just hoping I'd play along?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:56 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Ding ding. Further, I thought conservatives disliked Nazis so much they often slander their liberal opponents as Nazis and fascists, so why the sudden sympathy for dead Nazis?

I thought I would only see that from liberals calling conservatives nazi/fascist. I don't remember the other way around.

However, those who apply the term to their opponents are usually the real fascists. :twisted:

I can't decide if this is more "I know you are, but what am I?" or "he who smell't it, dealt it"...

Also, "Antifa is fascist" and "liberals/ leftists are fascist thought police bullies" are pretty common things said, both here and elsewhere.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm

Magna wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why do you have a hard time believing he lurked for a long time before posting? I lurked for a time before I ever created an account and posted. I have seen others say the same thing. There are likely a lot of people that have never said anything or even made a single post and went back to lurking. To all the lurkers, you're welcome to join in whenever you feel comfortable doing so and it's all good, even if all you want to do is lurk.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:55 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
Magna wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why do you have a hard time believing he lurked for a long time before posting? I lurked for a time before I ever created an account and posted. I have seen others say the same thing. There are likely a lot of people that have never said anything or even made a single post and went back to lurking. To all the lurkers, you're welcome to join in whenever you feel comfortable doing so and it's all good, even if all you want to do is lurk.

>People who participate in PPR more often that not have solid, staunch, concrete, specific political viewpoints.
>People who participate in PPR have an interest in politics, philosophy or religion (mostly politics) if the participate in PPR otherwise they have no interest in PPR.
>The political climate in the U.S. since 2016 has both interested and roiled people interested in politics like no other time in our lifetimes.

I'm not saying it's flat out impossible, I'm simply saying that I find it hard to believe given the facts above that anyone would lurk for over a year and not join the fray. Timidity is clearly not a problem for him, nor is there a lack of ability to convey his thoughts cogently which might otherwise give a person pause in posting written comments.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:01 pm

The news forums has become worse then ppr forum

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

Have strove for years to apply the flippant discourse to my contributions , with a apparent flair for the obvious.
Having issues I do does not allow much in-depth response , regardless of how deep or shallow my responses appear.

Will periodically read the backstory. On threads and even more rarely read about the poster, Relying primarily on what is written before me . ( prolly perfect example of Theory of mind argument) . And having a very apt vocabulary.
If the argument or discussion has holes in it , then. I back read to assess issues .If insufficient , might ask questions to gain clarity .
Hope this new persons.Uncommondenominator , Time is fun and worthy of his time here .

where ever you go ,there you are

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 4:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Tucker Carlson accuses most people he disagrees with of it on a daily basis. Posters on here regularly insist ANTIFA are fascist. Have you really never encountered this or were you just hoping I'd play along?

ANTIFA are literally fascist and militant. Communism (that is socialism too) and fascism are both sides of the same ugly coin. Both movements are literally totalitarian. In the end, it is only labeling.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 5:11 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
ANTIFA are literally fascist and militant. Communism (that is socialism too) and fascism are both sides of the same ugly coin. Both movements are literally totalitarian. In the end, it is only labeling.

Go on, how exactly is ANTIFA literally fascist? Have they adopted totalitarian reactionary nationalism in the past few hours? If not, they are not literally fascist no matter how many times the totalitarian right insists otherwise.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:38 pm

According to the anti-defamation league (ADL) the label antifa should be limited to "those who proactively seek physical confrontations with their perceived fascist adversaries" who are a handful of individuals and not be misapplied to include all anti-fascist counter-protesters who make up the bulk of people wrongly classified as antifa.

According to the ADL - Conspiracy theories about antifa tend to inaccurately portray antifa as a single organization with leaders and secret sources of funding have been spread by right-wing activists, media organisations and politicians including Trump administration officials. There have been multiple efforts to discredit antifa groups via hoaxes on social media, many of them false flag attacks originating from alt-right and 4chan protagonists posing as antifa backers on Twitter. Many hoaxes have been picked up and reported as fact by right-leaning media such as Tucker Carlson and Fox news.