Are these protests really a democrat thing?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 1:59 am

Oh okay, well let's call it a violent protest then instead, if that's better?

These protests are said to be a democratic issue, where they want police defunding. So the only reason republicans do not police defunding near as much is because they live in smaller populated states?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 5:47 am

Violent protest is a correct description, so is rioting. Rioting usually includes besides that violently protesting those that use the opportunity to get stuff or just to enjoy being violent.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 6:10 am

Brictoria wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Perhaps rioting is the wrong choice of words, but there are statues and landmarks being destroyed, and some street violence has occurred during this. Perhaps there is a better word for that?

"non-peaceful protest" or "violent protest"?

There was a small amount of rioting right at the beginning in a couple of places. Minneapolis and maybe Milwaukee, I don't exactly recall. A couple of other places where somebody may have thrown a rock or two through a shop window, but if the situation didn't get out of control, I wouldn't consider it a riot. Tearing down a statue is a destructive act but it's not a riot. I don't know whether that would be considered an act of violence. It would depend on your definition. It was undoubtedly a criminal act.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 11:27 am

Oh okay, well the people tearing down statues for example... are they doing it in the name of democratic beliefs, or is it a democrat thing?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2020, 1:03 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, well the people tearing down statues for example... are they doing it in the name of democratic beliefs, or is it a democrat thing?
I think they're doing it in the name of being pissed off by what the monuments symbolize - there were a lot of torn down monuments in my part of the world, lots of Tsarist monuments removed in 1918, all the Lenins put down in the 1990s, etc.

I think the only way Democrats are involved is that they are trying to capitalize on this anger, while Republicans seeem to call for fighting it off.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 2:03 pm

So it would be the democrats who are more pissed off at what the statues stand for then?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2020, 3:13 pm

ironpony wrote:
So it would be the democrats who are more pissed off at what the statues stand for then?

Democrats and Republicans are politicians, they don't need to feel genuine emotions about such things, they just try to gain votes from emotions of people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

MaxE wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Perhaps rioting is the wrong choice of words, but there are statues and landmarks being destroyed, and some street violence has occurred during this. Perhaps there is a better word for that?

"non-peaceful protest" or "violent protest"?

There was a small amount of rioting right at the beginning in a couple of places. Minneapolis and maybe Milwaukee, I don't exactly recall. A couple of other places where somebody may have thrown a rock or two through a shop window, but if the situation didn't get out of control, I wouldn't consider it a riot. Tearing down a statue is a destructive act but it's not a riot. I don't know whether that would be considered an act of violence. It would depend on your definition. It was undoubtedly a criminal act.

While most of the protests were peaceful America went through the worst and most widespread civil unrest since the 1968 assassination of Martin Luther King. 28 people were killed, the national guard was called out in 30 states, and curfews were ordered in at least 200 cities. There was widespread looting, attacks on police including rock, and bottle-throwing, and numerous fires set including the torching of many police cars. Most of this occurred at the beginning, there are still scattered disturbances.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

Oh okay. Well I keep hearing about that the only reason reactions are this bad in the US is because it's an election year, but is that the real reason though?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2020, 2:31 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Well I keep hearing about that the only reason reactions are this bad in the US is because it's an election year, but is that the real reason though?

Election year certainly doesn't help calm things down but I don't think it's the sole reason for such an unrest. The pandemic seems to expose cracks and weak points of societes worldwide, uncertain future helps radicalize people's attitude, with both fears to lose and hopes to gain from upcoming changes.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 3:10 am

magz wrote:
I think they're doing it in the name of being pissed off by what the monuments symbolize - there were a lot of torn down monuments in my part of the world, lots of Tsarist monuments removed in 1918, all the Lenins put down in the 1990s, etc.

I think the only way Democrats are involved is that they are trying to capitalize on this anger, while Republicans seeem to call for fighting it off.

exactly. magz is saying it better than i could.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:36 am

Just opinion here, but I think Antifa, BLM and most politicians in general are owned by the same entities who want to take the country down and turn it into a communist autocracy. They're bought, paid for, and doing their jobs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:38 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Just opinion here, but I think Antifa, BLM and most politicians in general are owned by the same entities who want to take the country down and turn it into a communist autocracy. They're bought, paid for, and doing their jobs.
Thank you for sharing.  Have a nice day!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:40 am

^^^
beat me to it

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 9:01 pm

Oh okay well why do a lot of these people tearing down statues and what not, want communism, if that's the case? What good will that do?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

If the politicians are bought and paid for by this shadowy elite, why would they want to change the system at all, since they’re already in full control of the current system?