Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Taylord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

A pandemic, unemployment through the roof, people potentially being homeless, having to wear whenever going outside like it's Metro, not being able to socialize properly, and literally thousand of people a day getting infected and dying. Is this just life for decades now? Our younger peoples career dreams and hopes, their joy of finding love and starting a family shattered?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 7:27 pm

We don't know yet. All we can do is the best with what we have and let each day worry about itself.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 8:49 am

Unfortunately, Coronavirus or some other similar pestilence will be with us from this point on. I would be very surprised to see and end to the masks and social distancing in my own lifetime.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 8:55 am

Where's this coming from? We'll have a vaccine, it will be distributed to the World, and the coronavirus will be eliminated.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 9:03 am

Taylord wrote:
A pandemic, unemployment through the roof, people potentially being homeless, having to wear whenever going outside like it's Metro, not being able to socialize properly, and literally thousand of people a day getting infected and dying. Is this just life for decades now? Our younger peoples career dreams and hopes, their joy of finding love and starting a family shattered?
None of this was happening until those Millennials came of age.  Connection or correlation?  Who knows?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 9:46 am

Not the millennials, it’s Gen Z.
Let’s blame them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 9:48 am

Misslizard wrote:
Not the millennials, it’s Gen Z.  Let’s blame them.
The Zillenials?  Okay.  It's all their fault now.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 10:09 am

Taylord wrote:

No one knows. Pundits say this or that, but really no one knows.

I think it is important to focus on today. If you are all right today that is a great blessing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 11:58 am

Well it looks like nobody's got any future now, all because of a stupid virus that more people survive than don't.

But what I think is sometime within the next year or so the hype of all this COVID will suddenly disappear. Not the virus itself, but the hype. The media will just stop talking about it and life will start returning back to normal. The virus will still be out there and many people will still be getting it, but it just won't be spoken about much any more, and COVID will just become another virus that will spike every winter, along with flu, norovirus, chest infections and other unpleasant viruses like that. And you might stop and think, "wait, I haven't heard about that COVID thing in a while".

It's what usually ends up happening when there's a new deadly virus out there. This one has only become global because it's basically stuck on the in-between mark. If it was any more deadly it would kill too many people to be able to spread worldwide, and many people are asymptomatic which is the main problem. If every person who got COVID had severe symptoms it wouldn't spread as fast. But in order to live and thrive, every person must be treated like we're all diseased rats "just in case".

Yeah, s**t innit?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm

Nothing, no matter how awful or glorious, lasts forever.

This is quite a sticky patch for us though: and no route out is known as yet.

One will occur, whether by accident or design: most likely a mixture of the two.

No guarantees on the timing being soon.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 1:48 pm

When this is over, another pandemic will sweep the globe. And another after that -because of intensifying globalization.

And we were all just starting to relax because it looked like the War on Terrorism was winding down.

All of the vigilance we have had to have since 9-11 was starting to be not be needed! We all thought we were in the clear about THAT, but now we have THIS.

And of course the War on Terrorism was on the heels of the end of the Cold War...that period of tension that went on for almost 45 years... and sometimes morphed into hot wars (like Afganistan, Vietnam, and Korea). You remember the Cold War? It was right on the heels of World War Two, which was right after the Great Depression. Before that we had the roaring Twenties. We had Prohibition, but we had a brief phase of peace and prosperity. But they had a pandemic back then too (the Spanish Flu). OH YES -there was the Polio epidemic during the Cold War Fifties. But back to going backward. There was the peaceful prosperous Twenties, but they had the Spanish flu, which was on the heels of the First World War. That rather nasty thing -which resulted in Bolsheivism and Fascism, and like that.

So ...in the words of Anna Roseanadana "It's always something!". :D

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 1:54 pm

I hope not! I knew it was bad, the minute it spread like wildfire, wore a mask before it was advised.
I knew they'll be a second lockdown.

As for the economy globally, that's been hit for years. We cannot predict the next wave of a virus, no more an earthquake but the virus, it didn't diminish and not everyone took preventative steps, so it could've ended up not as bad. However, whom knows if it ended up much worse.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 2:53 pm

There will be Coronavirus 2.0 which we'll need a vaccine for, then Coronavirus Max which we'll need a new virus for. Government has found society's Achilles Heel.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

In my humble opinion (IMHO) this pandemic is winding down in the U.S. Death rates are dropping dramatically. It is a seasonal virus just like the influenza virus. There may be a resurgence come the winter (a second wave) but generally the effect will be less severe.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

jimmy m wrote:
In my humble opinion (IMHO) this pandemic is winding down in the U.S. Death rates are dropping dramatically. It is a seasonal virus just like the influenza virus. There may be a resurgence come the winter (a second wave) but generally the effect will be less severe.

Too soon to claim victory in lowering COVID-19 death rates

It often takes several weeks for the disease to kill people. Thus the younger people now sick enough to be hospitalized may die in a week or two.

Even if their youth and better health does cause them to have low death rates they are increasingly spreading it to more vulnerable populations. It is going to take people in those groups another few weeks to die.

You might be correct about the winter. If it spreads out of control now there might be partial her immunity by then. Add to that better treatments

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Evidence, please?  From somewhere other than Donald J. Trump's playbook, if you will.  Thank you.