Page 4 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:02 am

A weird sound started in mid video (at 1:18 at the moment the lady was saying “what is this sound? come inside!” in Arabic); was it a jet or a chemical reaction of some sort? I am not a military expert.

It does sound pretty much like a jet to me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:10 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am not sure if the sound in mid video (at 1:20 at the moment the lady was saying “what is this sound? come inside!” in Arabic) was a jet or a chemical reaction of some sort? I am not a military expert.

It does sound pretty much like a jet to me.

That Was very scarey end to that video . Argh the whole video was scarey

where ever you go ,there you are

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:42 am

Jumping aboard with the "Glad you are ok" sentiments FoB.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:54 am

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 12:21 pm

According to news reports:

The massive blast witnessed on Tuesday was likely caused by the detonation of more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate that had been stored in a warehouse at the dock in Beirut’s port ever since it was confiscated from a cargo ship in 2014, Lebanese Interior Minister Mohammed Fahmi told local media.

Though the blast remains under investigation, Lebanese officials believe that a fire engulfed what initially appeared to be fireworks at a warehouse – igniting the explosion that leveled most of the port, blew out windows and collapsed balconies and roofs miles from its epicenter and sent out a shockwave heard from as far away as Cyprus. What initially started the fire at the port remains unclear.

Online videos of the disaster's initial moments show sparks and lights inside the smoke rising from the blaze, just prior to the massive blast. The white cloud that accompanied the explosion appeared to be a condensation cloud, often common in massive explosions in humid conditions that can follow the shock waves of an explosion, experts told the Associated Press. Orange clouds also followed the blast, likely from toxic nitrogen dioxide gas that's released after an explosion involving nitrates.

Source: Beirut explosion: Rescue workers frantically search for survivors as Lebanon capital confronts massive devastation

Based on the timeline and the size of the cargo, that ship could be the MV Rhosus. The ship was initially seized in Beirut in 2013 when it entered the port due to technical problems, according to lawyers involved in the case. It came from the nation of Georgia, and had been bound for Mozambique.

“Owing to the risks associated with retaining the ammonium nitrate on board the vessel, the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses," the lawyers wrote in a 2015 article published by shiparrested.com. “The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal.”

“Before the big explosion, you can see in the center of the fire, you can see sparks, you can hear sounds like popcorn and you can hear whistles," Hayoun told The Associated Press. "This is very specific behavior of fireworks, the visuals, the sounds and the transformation from a slow burn to a massive explosion.”

“It looks like an accident,” Lewis told the AP. “First, there was a fire preceding the explosion, which is not an attack. And some of the videos show munitions what I could call popcorning, exploding like ’pop, pop, pop, pop.’”

He added that “it’s very common to see fires detonate explosives."

“If you have a fire raging next to something explosive, and you don’t put it out, it blows up," he said.

Source: Fireworks, ammonium nitrate likely fueled Beirut explosion

According to the NYT:

Some 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate unloaded from a disabled vessel in 2014 had been stored in a port warehouse. Then yesterday, a welding accident ignited nearby fireworks — which caused the ammonium nitrate to explode.

IMPACT: The consequences of yesterday’s explosion will be even more serious than the immediate casualties and property damage. The main grain silo, which holds some 85 percent of the country’s cereals, was destroyed. Even more, the port will no longer be able to receive goods. Lebanon imports 80 percent of what it consumes, including 90 percent of its wheat, which is used to make the bread that is the staple of most people’s diets. About 60 percent of those imports come through the port of Beirut. Or, at least, they did.

Lebanon’s Mushroom Cloud of Incompetence

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 1:44 pm

The blast could be due to incompetence, but their existence there in the middle of an urban civilian area was not a matter of incompetence.

Netanyahu in 2018 showed 3 suspected locations of explosive (or parts to make missiles):

You can clearly see that one of the locations is the port, the same location of the blast.

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Leban ... nyahu.ashx

How can anyone explains this coincidence?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 1:50 pm

Thanks for that update, Jimmy M. So glad you're ok, Boo.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

Glad you're alright, Boo. Stay safe, or as safe as possible at least.

B.Sisko
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

Amity wrote:

+1 i agree

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:18 pm

Absolutely incredible the loss of life was. Not incredibly higher than what It was .
As written above .. the size of the blast was. Bigger than normal sized Biggest bomb .The. USA . Has

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm

I am glad to hear that you are ok Boo. This place would not be the same without you.

Ammonium nitrate can pack a heck of a punch if it goes off. In the US, there are limits on how much you can store and records are taken on what amounts one can buy. Farmers are required to secure the amounts that they have or risk being charged for improper chemical disposal. It only took two tons of it to take down a federal building in OKC back in 1995 in a domestic terrorist attack. The amount of ammonium nitrate involved in Beirut’s explosion was more than 1000x that used in OKC. Regardless of what caused it to go off, it is a terrible disaster for Lebanon. My condolences go out to those who lost loved ones in the blast.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Its highly unlikely Boo was any where near the building given the COVID-19 restrictions unless he was living or working on the Beirut waterfront

Actually, my office is less than 10 mins away.

I left late around 5:30, sometimes I stay there more than that.

That one pic of office.

Good grief! thank god you were late to work!

My parents were late for their connecting flight to the US leaving Athens and missed it. As turned out they were similarly lucky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_847

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 10:19 am

Close call Cyberdad ........ glad your ok. Aswell .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 1:01 pm

B.Sisko wrote:
Amity wrote:

+1 i agree

+2 I agree

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 1:05 pm

+3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 4:40 am

Jakki wrote:
Close call Cyberdad ........ glad your ok. Aswell .

My parents were the ones who missed the ill-fated flight, they told us they even had a fight with the Athens ground crew who stubbornly would not let them get on their connection. Later on they were certainly glad the Greek airport security were so strict with them.