China building huge new prisons....?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 4:26 am

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/me ... rs-muslims

China has made a lot of material progress, but in some ways its an Orwellian S--thole :cry:

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 2:41 pm

Would be bad if China becomes as unfree as the USA where more then 2 million people are prisoners. :roll:
According to the Wikipedia is the incarceration rate of China not even 20% of that in this land of the most unfree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ation_rate

Last edited by quite an extreme on 01 Sep 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 2:44 pm

America's high incarceration rate (which Joe Biden played a major role in jacking up) is awful. However, the treatment of China's prisoners is on average far worse. From hard labor to organ extraction/human experiments, with execution for trifles.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 2:49 pm

I don't see Trump lining up to commute sentences of anyone but his cronies. Do I think democrats are hypocrites? Of course, they are DC politicians. That doesn't change the obvious fact that the political right has been converted to outright belligerent fascism.

Straight up, I would rather have a the old drug war back in place of total chaos.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:03 pm

I don't see Trump lining up to commute sentences of anyone but his cronies.

"The First Step Act would give federal judges more leeway when sentencing some drug offenders and boost prisoner rehabilitation efforts. It also would reduce life sentences for some drug offenders with three convictions, or "three strikes," to 25 years. Another provision would allow about 2,600 federal prisoners sentenced for crack cocaine offenses before August 2010 the opportunity to petition for a reduced penalty.
It also incentivizes prisoners to participate in programs designed to reduce the risk of recidivism, with the reward being an earlier release to either home confinement or a halfway house to complete their sentence."

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:05 pm

Due to low levels of voluntary organ donation, most organs used in transplants are sourced from prisoners. The Chinese government approved a regulation in 1984 to allow the removal of organs from executed criminals, provided they give prior consent or if no one claims the body.

Chinese websites advertised hearts, lungs and kidneys for sale and available to book in advance, suggesting that the victims were killed on demand, it added. :evil:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:07 pm

FWIW this is appples & oranges. China & the modern U.S. are beyond reproach. Fascism is not left or right leaning, it's violent & sadly predictable.

If Trump weren't just working on prison reform as a publicity stunt, I'd be impressed. The guy just does not care about anyone different from himself, or doesn't care about people in general. Token actions don't convince me of anything when the wording is this calloused.

Xi Jinping may be worse, that's no reason for anyone to give Trump a pass.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:16 pm

If Donald Trump walked on water, some of y'all would accuse him of being unable to swim.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:20 pm

Clearly you are unaware of the criminal nature of this administration. The guy built high rise apartments with no fire sprinklers (people died). He defended a minor killing protestors with an illegal firearm (people died). He's entitled to freedom of speech but inciting riots from the oval office just to make opponents look bad is treason, since it's at the expense of the entire country (people died). You can't end the civility of the western world as it was known for centuries without consequences.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:24 pm

You can't end the civility of the western world as it was known for centuries without consequences.

Umm, a tad dramatic? Trump was basically elected because Middle America was tired of war, and so far he's kept us out of a major one, while trying to wind down regional conflicts He will be re-elected by a comfortable margin.

Having said that, I am really tired of arguing about politics, and I feel that everybody is allowed to think and vote as they see fit. So your viewpoint is ok with me :mrgreen: :heart: :jester:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:33 pm

Elected because we're tired of war or because he promised to start a civil war if at all possible?

Nuclear sabre rattling just makes the cold war worse. You're probably only saying that because you know the election will be rigged for Trump inevitably. You have refused democracy entirely in this statement.

We have never had a real election in the U.S. anyway, the electoral college made sure of that. Trump was not elected by the vote & is not likely to be. You're looking at zero legitimacy here, but it suits your political fancy so what could go wrong?

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:40 pm

Nuclear sabre rattling just makes the cold war worse

Umm...Trump brokered an agreement to normalize relations between the United Arab Emirates and Israel, and was quite successful with befriending the North Korean nutcase, at least for a while. people see what they want to see, I guess, and you are free to hold whatever opinions you wish.

Excelsior!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:50 pm

I think befriending mass murderers is bad, OK?

Some people just don't like it when your diplomatic strategy relies on terror.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:55 pm

I think befriending mass murderers is bad, OK?

Sure, but in a world of jerks with nukes playing nice is sane policy. Trump has had decent relations with Putin and Kim, which may have saved lots of lives. If we 'worked' with Stalin and Mao, Pinochet and Noriega, we can work with anybody.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:57 pm

Xi Jinping is also a friend of the DPRK regime. You don't see Trump doing anything about this, but you're still willing to contrast China with the U.S. to make him look good.

Biden may be culpable, partially, in our private prison racket but Trump threw kids in CAGES.

Trump aggrandized a despot known for execution of dissidents with anti-aircraft guns.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 3:58 pm

I guess I wouldn't exactly take an armor piercing flachette for Biden, but trump is off the sicko deep end.