Page 4 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 4:42 am

MrsPeel wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I have a slight bone to pick with him over his book "Future Eaters" where he claimed the indigenous Australians were responsible for the mass extinction of most mammals in Australia such as megafauna. I thought attributing blame seemed odd, never liked the fellow much.

I don't think the idea was to attribute blame so much as to understand - and learn from - the ecological impact of mankind in the past. It wasn't about blaming indigenous Australians so much as mankind in general, I thought?
I mean, the same thing happened in New Zealand with the loss of megafauna after the Maori arrived. He wasn't saying that the indigenous Australians were unique in that respect.

It's the misguided "noble savage" outlook that some have, where the aboriginal people (of any region) were "perfect" and lived in harmony with nature, having no negative impact on the pre-existing flora, fauna, or people (such as the Neanderthals).

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 4:59 am

Also I find some people don't really grasp the timescales we're dealing with. The indigenous Australians arrived here at least 40,000 years ago. Nobody's saying they arrived and immediately went on a wholesale slaughter of the wildlife. We're talking ecological changes over multiple generations.

Flannery's way of looking at things over long timescales also gets misinterpreted when it comes to climate change, as per this debate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 5:57 am

Brictoria wrote:
It's the misguided "noble savage" outlook that some have, where the aboriginal people (of any region) were "perfect" and lived in harmony with nature, having no negative impact on the pre-existing flora, fauna, or people (such as the Neanderthals).

Only relics of the British colonial era entertain the notion of the "noble savage" Bric. A wee bit cringey.

Well I'm not saying aborigines didn't contribute to the disappearance of the Australian megafauna but the antiquity of the extinction events make it problematic to not consider climatic change or the introduction animals such as the dingo.

We already know the thylacine was widespread and didn't die off on the mainland unit the arrival of the dingo.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 6:52 am

But who brought the dingo? :twisted:
No, ignore me, I understand what you mean now. That far back in history we can only interpret the evidence (introducing to our own biases), we can't know for sure.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 6:59 am

MrsPeel wrote:
But who brought the dingo? :twisted:
No, ignore me, I understand what you mean now. That far back in history we can only interpret the evidence (introducing to our own biases), we can't know for sure.

The dingo came across from Asia with Macassan sailors around 5000 years ago.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 1:11 am

If having a wet summer stops bushfires bring on the rain.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 1:19 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Erm,
Sometimes I can be a little thick.
How does Brictoria's transcript support your position? :scratch:

We're never going to agree on this Pepe!

But in case you are genuinely wanting to know, when you put the quote in context it is clear that Flannery is talking about long term climate trends, not yearly variations in the weather.
In essence he is saying that increased warming over the long term will increase evaporation, so he expects there will be more severe droughts in which the rainfall which does fall does not reach the rivers.

The trouble is, it was a verbal interview, so he tried to get to the essence of the issue without bogging things down in explanation.
I'm sure what he said was not intended to be a prediction that "from now on none of the rain will reach the rivers and the dams will never be full ever again".
Seriously, when has he said that?

Can you find the transcript that puts his "dams will never be filled again" comment into context?
Or do I have to do all the heavy work myself? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 1:25 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
If having a wet summer stops bushfires bring on the rain.

We should be ok for a number of years, if the rain continues.
A big part of the problem was the very dry underbrush.
However, wet weather eventually creates more debris, and so it goes. 8)

The best thing we can do to mitigate future bushfires is to prevent "green tape", by mulching greenies. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 5:48 pm

IN YOUR FACE, TIM FLANNERY!! :mrgreen:

Quote:
Wild storms have lashed parts of Australia's east coast, bringing heavy rain, large golf-ball-sized hailstones and damaging winds, and sparking severe weather warnings for two states.
Northern NSW was today warned to expect large hail, flash flooding and severe winds.
The intense storms have been whipped up by a cold front and upper trough which combined. https://www.9news.com.au/national/weath ... e95443ee0b

Quote:
People in NSW have been told to prepare for severe thunderstorms this afternoon as the first major spring storm event begins.
The storms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Dubbo, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Griffith, Cobar and Broken Hill. https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-s ... 0f1706538c

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 6:40 pm

Given the storms are damaging property (including here where I live) I am not sure it's anything to celebrate.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 7:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Given the storms are damaging property (including here where I live) I am not sure it's anything to celebrate.

I am revelling in the rain.
Better rain than bushfires.
No water, and we all die.

The dams have filled, despite Tim Flannery's predictions.
So,
In your face, Tim Flannery. :mrgreen:

If you have a problem with storms, why did you allow yourself to be born? :mrgreen:

Quote:
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 8:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
If you have a problem with storms, why did you allow yourself to be born? :mrgreen:

Born to complain? that's just a sign of aging

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 7:02 am

As one who was brought up in the UK, I find the size of Australian hail completely mind boggling.

Actually, Australian weather is generally scary.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Oct 2020, 7:09 am

MrsPeel wrote:

Hmmm, stroms resulting in this:
seem definitely scary.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 6:56 pm

In Australia you never drive in a hailstorm
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5093u.html

Hailstones have been recorded that get to the same size as your American baseballs

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:04 pm

magz wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

Hmmm, stroms resulting in this:
seem definitely scary.

Yes, mud is indeed scary. :mrgreen: