Plot to kidnap Michigan governor thwarted.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 12:44 pm

Michigan militia members are accused of plotting to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (a Democrat) and potentially kill other state officials in an effort to overturn the government.  Five Michigan men and another man from Delaware are charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping.  The FBI became aware through social media that a group of individuals were discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law-enforcement components in early 2020.

Source:
This M-Live Article

Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 1:42 pm

Stand back and stand by?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:25 pm

Why is she being singled out? How come these guys never go after Newsom or Cuomo?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:33 pm

I heard on the radio that they were going "try" her at some kind of mock trial, on charges of violating the Constitution. Or something.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:43 pm

Pro-Kyle Rittenhouse coronavirus denier arrested in plot to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer

Quote:
And the social media for one of them, Brandon Caserta, is filled with right-wing misinformation and violent memes. A Facebook page of his showcases his far-right bona fides. On it, he showers praise on Kenosha, Wisconsin shooter Kyle Rittenhouse, calls coronavirus a hoax, and makes allusions to the QAnon conspiracy.

In a TikTok posted Wednesday, Caserta is shown wearing a Hawaiian shirt, which could be a signifier of the Boogaloo Boys, a militia bent on starting a second civil war. Boogaloo Boys are known to wear Hawaiian shirts to showcase support for the movement.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 7:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
... In a TikTok posted Wednesday, Caserta is shown wearing a Hawaiian shirt, which could be a signifier of the Boogaloo Boys, a militia bent on starting a second civil war. Boogaloo Boys are known to wear Hawaiian shirts to showcase support for the movement.
Great.

I have dozens of Hawai'ian shirts hanging in my closet that are comfortable in hot weather.  Now, if I wear one, I could be mistaken for one of those far-right, anti-government, and extremist political nutjobs.

I guess it is back to blue jeans and tee-shirts from now on...

nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 7:59 pm

I can't wait for the Trump brigade to come up with some sort of justification for this.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:11 pm

These men are evil scumbags.

I've been wearing a face mask and I've never watched the Kardashians.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I can't wait for the Trump brigade to come up with some sort of justification for this.

“My freedom!“

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:40 pm

I told you sociopolitical genocide was coming. Thankfully, a terrible incident was avoided.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 9:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
"My freedom!"
Anything the Trump Brigade comes up with as "justification" I call "Bulls██t!"

The sole end for which mankind is warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection.  That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.  His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant.

roronoa79
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2020, 2:57 pm

Right wing militias plotting violent takeovers and assassinations? Planning to execute a democratically elected governor and bomb the state capitol? Who could have foreseen this?!
Even the fbi--no friends to the left-- openly acknowledge that right wing groups represent the greatest terrorist threat to america.
Right and left wing groups are not morally equivalent. One side wants police accountability and are tired of asking nicely, because that is a great way to be ignored and targeted for more police killings. The other is actively trying to undermine democracy and instigate race/civil war.

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think I'll save them some time and go ahead and rehash the same whataboutism we've all come to know and love:
"Okay yeah this is partially a result of Trump's implicit endorsement of right wing militias and calls for blue states to be 'liberated', but blm protesters have caused a non-zero amount of property damage so no one can really claim the moral high ground here!"
Or:
"The left will do the same thing or worse if given the chance. The CHAZ was just the beginning. Next thing theyll be coming for us in our homes!"
Or:
"Well Democrats were cheering at the idea of Trump dying from covid, so they're just as bad as Republicans forming terrorist militias trying to overthrow state governments for 'treason'!"

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν
- Thucydides

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 5:20 pm

Speaking of coming for homes

Of course at this moment the right is a more lethal and some of the BLM rioters were trying to get the fellow rioters to stop attacking homes. While the militias are way more lethal currently I have not observed thousands of courses on Nazi ideology being taught nor influential companies boycotting “anti racism”. I do not see alt right screeds being best sellers like say “White Fragility”

This gone beyond fighting back against the police to the revolution of replacing “traditional” American values with “woke” “anti racist” or whatever phrase works at the moment ideology.

All that is going to happen is this is going to continue to escalate. The only people that are going to win are the fascists and trained marxists behind this who will keep on validating each other.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:02 pm

They were also targeting Ralph Northam:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/michigan-kidnap-plot-group-also-discussed-targeting-virginia-gov-ralph-northam-fbi-agent-says/ar-BB19Z5PD?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 5:46 am

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/northamerica/top-stories/crowd-chants-lock-her-up-about-whitmer-at-michigan-trump-rally/ar-BB1a8F1s

I would vote for her solely because Trump hates her.

But, as with Hillary Clinton, “lock her up” really means “make me a sandwich”.

roronoa79
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2020, 2:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/northamerica/top-stories/crowd-chants-lock-her-up-about-whitmer-at-michigan-trump-rally/ar-BB1a8F1s

I would vote for her solely because Trump hates her.

But, as with Hillary Clinton, “lock her up” really means “make me a sandwich”.

"Should Trump maybe dial back this kind of rhetoric in light of these attempted assassinations? Nah, then he couldn't trigger those darn libs!!1!1!"

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν
- Thucydides