PFizer announces a 90% effective vaccine

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 1:39 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-biontech

Obviously great news!

I don't usually go in for conspiracy theories, but the timing of the announcement strikes me as suspicious. Seems to me that somebody sat on this announcement until after the election. Could be coincidence.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 3:52 pm

Antrax wrote:
... I don't usually go in for conspiracy theories, but the timing of the announcement strikes me as suspicious. Seems to me that somebody sat on this announcement until after the election. Could be coincidence.
While I am usually inclined to go along with the 'coincidence' factor, there is just too much of a coincidence here for me to be flippant about it.

I think that Trump knew all along what Pfizer was up to, and even encouraged them to hold off until after the election. Because...

• If Trump had won the election, he could have claimed bragging rights, as in "Look what I did to Make America Great Again!"  Not that he ever believed in the coronavirus in the first place (it was supposed to disappear on November 4th, remember?).

• Since he lost the election, he can now throw Pfizer under the bus and claim they colluded with the Biden campaign to withhold the vaccine so as to enable the Media to blame Trump for the lack of an earlier vaccine so that Trump could claim to be the victim of not only an illegal vote, but a diabolical left-wing conspiracy to assure that he would never again be able to run for office.

But a coincidence? Really?

With Hillary so quiet, Obama smirking and smiling so broadly, and even Pence avoiding eye contact with his master?

Yeah ... coincidence ...
I mean it.  It really IS a coincidence.  The visible portion of this post is just sarcasm.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 4:16 pm

The 90% success rate is very encouraging.
However, I want to know the %of reactions the human test subjects are experiencing.
And the severity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 9:28 pm

I watched an interview with the chief medical officer in the UK and apparently the 90% success relates to 40,000 participants who are from diverse cultural backgrounds but the CMO was unable to confirm whether the 90% reliability applies to people with severe health problems or old age.

As usual if you are young and healthy then the vaccine works.....otherwise seek medical advice.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 9:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Antrax wrote:
... I don't usually go in for conspiracy theories, but the timing of the announcement strikes me as suspicious. Seems to me that somebody sat on this announcement until after the election. Could be coincidence.
While I am usually inclined to go along with the 'coincidence' factor, there is just too much of a coincidence here for me to be flippant about it.

I think that Trump knew all along what Pfizer was up to, and even encouraged them to hold off until after the election. Because...

• If Trump had won the election, he could have claimed bragging rights, as in "Look what I did to Make America Great Again!"  Not that he ever believed in the coronavirus in the first place (it was supposed to disappear on November 4th, remember?).

• Since he lost the election, he can now throw Pfizer under the bus and claim they colluded with the Biden campaign to withhold the vaccine so as to enable the Media to blame Trump for the lack of an earlier vaccine so that Trump could claim to be the victim of not only an illegal vote, but a diabolical left-wing conspiracy to assure that he would never again be able to run for office.

But a coincidence? Really?

With Hillary so quiet, Obama smirking and smiling so broadly, and even Pence avoiding eye contact with his master?

Yeah ... coincidence ...
I mean it.  It really IS a coincidence.  The visible portion of this post is just sarcasm.

:D

Or it could be that other side encouraged Pfizer to hold off, since Joe Biden being the right man to deal with a lengthy coronavirus crisis was his biggest selling point.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 10:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I watched an interview with the chief medical officer in the UK and apparently the 90% success relates to 40,000 participants who are from diverse cultural backgrounds but the CMO was unable to confirm whether the 90% reliability applies to people with severe health problems or old age.

As usual if you are young and healthy then the vaccine works.....otherwise seek medical advice.

Ah yes, clinical trials, always cherry-picked the healthiest of all patients to participate in them, no different here.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 8:58 pm

That is exactly what I am afraid of.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 9:55 pm

Told ya it could be done. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Well, of course, they aren't going to deliberately infect the most vulnerable, duh!
If the vaccine works for younger people, there is a good chance it is going to work for everyone.
But you aren't going to be silly about including those that might die if it doesn't. :roll: :mrgreen:

Am I the only rocket surgeon here? :scratch: :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 12:33 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well, of course, they aren't going to deliberately infect the most vulnerable, duh!
If the vaccine works for younger people, there is a good chance it is going to work for everyone.
But you aren't going to be silly about including those that might die if it doesn't. :roll: :mrgreen:

Read the article I posed in the conversation Pepe. Older folk need to get medical advice on how much protection they can realistically get from the new vaccine.

But yes, its likely better than no protection, but older people might want to rethink crowd surfing or diving into mosh pits just because they took the vaccine.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 12:49 am

Noca wrote:
Ah yes, clinical trials, always cherry-picked the healthiest of all patients to participate in them, no different here.

This is a necessary part of medical trials. They need to observe the effects in healthy patients in order to establish normal reactions and potential results. Unhealthy patients present too many unknown variables in these early stages. Later on, the effects it has on people with specific conditions and specific medications, can be assessed. This will take longer and be more tedious if it's done thoroughly.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 12:52 am

^ This

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 1:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Read the article I posed in the conversation Pepe. Older folk need to get medical advice on how much protection they can realistically get from the new vaccine.

But yes, its likely better than no protection, but older people might want to rethink crowd surfing or diving into mosh pits just because they took the vaccine.

Oh. 8O

I wasn't planning to get it in a hurry, or at all, in the first place. Let the young and dumb go into the fray first and wait a while to see how many fall off the perch, because of it.
Age/maturity/experience has made me cluey. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 2:15 am

Pepe wrote:
I wasn't planning to get it in a hurry, or at all, in the first place. Let the young and dumb go into the fray first and wait a while to see how many fall off the perch, because of it.

Precisely what I am planning to do. it's wise to wait because the trials won't tell you the longer term effects/protection?

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 2:35 am

Imho the only real risk per se is lack of effectiveness.