Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:48 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dave-prowse- ... 07498.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:49 am

I wonder if George Lucas can finally put his spite away and honor this man.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:20 am

AH! so THAT is who that big lug was in "a clockwork orange." had no idea he was a good guy IRL. may his heavenly sojourn be long and deep. i wonder why george the lucas was miffed with him?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
AH! so THAT is who that big lug was in "a clockwork orange." had no idea he was a good guy IRL. may his heavenly sojourn be long and deep. i wonder why george the lucas was miffed with him?

Prowse had been publicly critical of Lucas for keeping him in the dark about how James Earl Jones voice would be dubbed over his, and how, after promising him he would be unmasked in Vader's death scene, Lucas had gotten another actor. Lucas had also accused him of leaking information about the Star Wars movies to the press during production, after which Lucas had left him out of the loop, having most of his scenes filmed by a stuntman in the Vader suit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Prowse had been publicly critical of Lucas for keeping him in the dark about how James Earl Jones voice would be dubbed over his, and how, after promising him he would be unmasked in Vader's death scene, Lucas had gotten another actor. Lucas had also accused him of leaking information about the Star Wars movies to the press during production, after which Lucas had left him out of the loop, having most of his scenes filmed by a stuntman in the Vader suit.

whatever nominal respect i once may have had to george the lucas, i no longer have. :x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:55 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

whatever nominal respect i once may have had to george the lucas, i no longer have. :x

He definitely has his petty side.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:00 am

Rest In Peace, Mr Prowse.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday, 9:48 am

Aside from any nastiness, I think Lucas had the right idea with replacing the original voice - a Bristol/SW England accent really doesn't suit Darth Vader in character or stature.
Check out the video in this article.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:29 am

i long have thought they should have used thurl ravenscroft's voice. anyways, definitely a mismatch of appearance and sound. despite that, he was a good egg and deservedly will be mourned.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday, 11:54 am

Yes, agreed - and quite close to the James Earl Jones eventually used.