Golden Gaytime name overwhelmingly retained

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 3:12 am

Australians are urging ice cream giant Streets to keep the name of its iconic Golden Gaytime following a petition that called for it to be rebranded.
Over 1150 people have signed the petition that argues the name of the ice cream, which was first released in 1959, was “outdated” and “offensive” – and implores for the term “gay” to be banished from its title.
But news.com.au readers have spoken out against the request, with a whopping 98 per cent voting to keep the renowned name.
In a survey published on Wednesday, more than 45,000 voters said the name is “harmless and not offensive”.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/ ... e6f7ebd6eb

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 4:40 am

Well, the word "Gay" did not begin acquire its connection to homosexuality until the middle of the 20th century.

"And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

- Edgar Allan Poe, 1842

Poe wasn't talking about homosexuality here.... or a communist genocide, by the way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 5:02 am

I mucked up the thread title

I think it was supposed to say the petition was "overwhelmingly rejected by the Australian public (at least 45,000 news.com readers). but there's not enough characters.

Streets Confectionary have rejected the name change owing to the brand name being first marketed back in 1959 so it's 62 years old.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 5:03 am

Originally the word "gay" meant happy. If you listen carefully to the original Flintstones theme there is the line "we're gonna have a gay ol time." but this actually means happy. It is used in old films to mean happy but to our ears now it doesn't make sense without understanding the past meaning.

So, Gaytime actually means Happytime but to modern ears it means something else.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:16 am

Back in the 70s it was common to hear people say "we had a gay time" or "have a gay old time" not to mention "gay Parie"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 10:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Back in the 70s it was common to hear people say "we had a gay time" or "have a gay old time" not to mention "gay Parie"
The Flintstones' (1960-1966) theme song ended with the lyrics "... we'll have a gay old time".

To put this in a chronological perspective, the local school board prohibited all student choirs from singing a certain song featuring the word "gay" during the Christmas season in 1973.

:wink: Fa-la-lalala, la la la la!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 12:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:

On my dad’s 1946 high school yearbook the title was “Our Hearts are Young and Gay” which we joked about because by the ‘70s the term had lost its earlier meaning of very happy. In the ‘70s “gay” described the entirety of the LBGQT spectrum not just homosexual men.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 5:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The Flintstones' (1960-1966) theme song ended with the lyrics "... we'll have a gay old time".

To put this in a chronological perspective, the local school board prohibited all student choirs from singing a certain song featuring the word "gay" during the Christmas season in 1973.

:wink: Fa-la-lalala, la la la la!

gay apparel :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 5:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

On my dad’s 1946 high school yearbook the title was “Our Hearts are Young and Gay” which we joked about because by the ‘70s the term had lost its earlier meaning of very happy. In the ‘70s “gay” described the entirety of the LBGQT spectrum not just homosexual men.

I've scoured the resources of professor google and theres no consensus on when gay first become associated with homosexuality. There is evidence that boys who were prostitutes to older men were called "gay boys" as early as the 14th century. It appears to have reached critical mass and appropriated by the homosexual men around the 70s/80s but no one point leading to the zeitgeist.

Another word that was appropriated is "queer" which was commonly used in English literature until it became part of the acronym LGBTQI

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:06 pm

I remember when a friend who lived in Australia told me that they had an ice cream called "Golden Gaytime" I thought she was messing with me. Like, I got the connotation of "happiness" instead of homosexuality, but the fact they still have something with "Gay" in it confused my American brain.

If we had something called "Golden Gaytime" I could see certain subsets of people getting upset the moment the meaning of "gay" overwhelmingly changed to mean being homosexual, since they wouldn't want the poor children seeing something with "gay" on it and turning "gay". :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:13 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I remember when a friend who lived in Australia told me that they had an ice cream called "Golden Gaytime" I thought she was messing with me. Like, I got the connotation of "happiness" instead of homosexuality, but the fact they still have something with "Gay" in it confused my American brain.

If we had something called "Golden Gaytime" I could see certain subsets of people getting upset the moment the meaning of "gay" overwhelmingly changed to mean being homosexual, since they wouldn't want the poor children seeing something with "gay" on it and turning "gay". :lol:

A number of iconic brands of lollies/sweets have been taken off the market here in Australia by the parent companies

Wrigleys/Allens - Redskins (I used to eat these)
Allens - Chicos
Riveiras - Fags (I used to eat these)
Coles - Creole chocolate creams (choc biscuit with cream)

This might get removed but the following was the most popular brand of licorice in Australia until the 1960s

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:18 pm

This sounds silly to me. I'm queer and I see nothing wrong with this name. It never was meant to have anything to do with us queers to begin with.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:45 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
This sounds silly to me. I'm queer and I see nothing wrong with this name. It never was meant to have anything to do with us queers to begin with.

There's nothing wrong with the labels. I'm trying to document at what point these terms became appropriated by the LGBTQI community.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

Well I for one like the name Golden Gaytime.
I don't see why the word gay can't have multiple meanings - and even if you get it muddled, what's the issue?
Aren't we over the whole "feeling upset about references to homosexuality" already?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 10:16 pm

My wife likes them too. She doesn't understand the fuss.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 10:47 pm

I've just had a golden gaytime, they're very nice.