Trial of Derek Chauvin, who Killed George Floyd

Page 6 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

With any luck he'll end up in general population quickly and the matter will resolve itself. Although solitary protective custody can be it's own kind of hell. Mind you with how little concern COVID in the prisons gets it would poetic justice if he got to spend his own final moments not being able to breath.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 11:32 pm

Brictoria wrote:
It seems that Ms Waters isn't confident of a guilty verdict, given her visit to the area and urging of the riots to continue:
Quote:
'We're looking for a guilty verdict,' she added in regards to the Derek Chauvin trial. 'If we don't, we cannot go away.'

'We gotta stay on the street,' Waters was recorded saying, adding that protesters needed 'to get more confrontational' and they should ignore the curfew in place.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9483471/Fury-Maxine-Waters-tells-Minnesota-BLM-protesters-weve-got-confrontational.html

Given the jury are not sequestered, and so may be aware of this, it looks like something that could be used by the defence in any potential appeal (based upon the effect her words may have had on jury members), if not cause a potential mistrial, should enough jurors have heard it\been provided knowledge of it.

Outside of expecting to see "not guilty" verdicts on at least the most serious charges (if not all), I can't think of a reason any normal person would be trying to whip up outrage like that, as it appears aimed at trying to "encourage" a verdict she desires (In the "This is a nice town. I'd hate to see something worse than what is occurring now happen to it..." way).

As she also would have had to cross from another state in order to make these statements, it could be interesting to see whether she may have an issue with 18 U.S. Code § 2101...

While Congresswoman Walters should not have said that a lot of the Republicans that are criticizing her have no standing to do that considering they enabled sedition. Even if they criticized the actual insurrection by saying sans proven evidence that the election was rigged and when they voted not to certify the election after the insurrection, and after 60 something courts threw Trump's cases out they engaged in the moral equivalent of treason. As far as I am concerned by pissing all over the former norm of conceding elections you lose they might as well have handed the rioters rocks and Molotov cocktails.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:22 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Yesterday's opening arguments were on all the major networks, so I just turned the TV off. Today live trial coverage is on several cable news networks, such as CNN, MSNBC, HLN, but not on the broadcast networks. They've been questioning some of the bystanders as to what they saw, including the teen girl who filmed the whole thing on her cell phone. It just sickens me both what happened to George Floyd, but also to hear what those kids (one only in 3rd grade) witnessed.

I said to my husband, if that officer gets acquitted, there is going to be hell to pay.

8O

..I agree with you.

Haven't watched more than a few seconds of trial clips. The whole thing is just sad. I saw enough of the original videos to know what happened. And yeah, if Chauvin gets let off for this.. hooooly is the s**t ever going to hit the fan.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:59 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What I think will happen is either a hung jury or conviction of manslaughter. All the defense had to do was to convince one juror that there is enough reasonable doubt that Chauvin committed third-degree murder.

:thumright:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 3:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mind you with how little concern COVID in the prisons gets it would poetic justice if he got to spend his own final moments not being able to breath.

I imagine the last thing he'd hear in prison is "bubba" saying "quit flaying around" as his knee rests on his neck.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 7:32 am

I wondered what the reasonable minds here thought about the trial. There is so much hysteria going on elsewhere on the internet it's hard to read any genuine sounding opinions.

https://www.scribd.com/document/463965971/2020-3700-Floyd-George-Perry-Update-6-1-2020

^ Here it says that he died from a heart attack which was induced by a combination of the scuffle with police, the neck compression, fentanyl, and meth. It doesn't say he was in a higher danger of having heart attacks because of the atherosclerosis and enlarged heart, but I think those things are mentioned if you keep reading. I think people should be more outraged at the drug dealer Morries guy dumping the drugs and the conterfeit $20 off on this poor hapless man.

Frankly, I don't know if the police can heart attack you to death while detaining you. That may make the difference. I've heard examples where it could go either way. I was surprised to hear Chauvin could have PUNCHED, KICKED, and CHOKED Floyd and chose not to. What??? I am generally never on a criminal's side, but I also don't want to be choked or punched during some sort of misunderstanding with an officer. Maybe there should be some Biden commission to rework that kind of thing.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Apr 2021, 8:06 am

I don't know if I'm a "reasonable" mind here and the Atlantic is helping me with keeping some distance to the story.
I believe it was a murder - intentional killing of a man.
I believe Chauvin is guilty.
What I think is: US police needs better training in routines for non-live-threatning handling of people who might be drunk, on drugs or mentally ill. It's completely unacceptable that encountering a policeman is a real, immediate life threat for you just because your brain is not working perfectly (and your looks suggest you're the "wrong" demographics). The purpose of the police is to keep people safe!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:14 am

magz wrote:
I don't know if I'm a "reasonable" mind here and the Atlantic is helping me with keeping some distance to the story.
What I think is: US police needs better training in routines for non-live-threatning handling of people who might be drunk, on drugs or mentally ill. It's completely unacceptable that encountering a policeman is a real, immediate life threat for you just because your brain is not working perfectly (and your looks suggest you're the "wrong" demographics). The purpose of the police is to keep people safe!

Not in the USA.. the purpose of the police is to keep corporations, their cash and assets, and white people safe..

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Apr 2021, 11:33 am

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
Not in the USA.. the purpose of the police is to keep corporations, their cash and assets, and white people safe..

Unless they're white but also poor and homeless, I guess.
But, from this side of the Atlantic, it looks deadly wrong.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

I disagree with you on the white people part slightly. The worst instances of police brutality ever were the ones against 2 white guys named Daniel Shaver and Tony Timpa, which you yourself can look up

Master Oogway

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:38 am

magz wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

Unless they're white but also poor and homeless, I guess.
But, from this side of the Atlantic, it looks deadly wrong.

It's wrong here, too.

But it's the ~400 year history of police in North America.

American police forces were formed to capture runaway slaves. Canadian police forces were formed to protect businesses & white people by murdering Indigenous people. It's still ingrained in their work cultures. We're at least beginning to acknowledge it and address it here in Canada - where people think the problem isn't nearly as bad as it is in the USA, but in reality it's still very bad/far from perfect. BUT, at least efforts are being made to improve things here.. South of the border? Who knows if it'll ever change.. American law enforcement is so infiltrated by white supremacist groups it may not ever be possible to fully correct the wrongs down there.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:39 am

salad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

I disagree with you on the white people part slightly. The worst instances of police brutality ever were the ones against 2 white guys named Daniel Shaver and Tony Timpa, which you yourself can look up

One statistical outlier of an incident vs. countless incidents against non-whites does not make police actions against white people worse than non-whites in America..

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:42 am

goldfish21 wrote:
salad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

One statistical outlier of an incident vs. countless incidents against non-whites does not make police actions against white people worse than non-whites in America..

Being homeless, mentally ill or at a left-wing protest are all things that seem to make cops much more willing to beat the s**t out of white people.

Mind you when it's a right-wing cause cops seem to be much more gentle.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:45 am

goldfish21 wrote:
salad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

I mean its actually a lot more complex than that. When we actually factor in encounters for crimes and population proportion whites actually do get shot by the police more than blacks, however blacks reportedly experience more incidents of police abuse like being slammed or pepper sprayed or even stopped and frisked.

Master Oogway

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:08 pm

salad wrote:
I mean its actually a lot more complex than that. When we actually factor in encounters for crimes and population proportion whites actually do get shot by the police more than blacks, however blacks reportedly experience more incidents of police abuse like being slammed or pepper sprayed or even stopped and frisked.

Well said. You have to look at encounters or arrests. Sadly, African Americans are much more likely to be arrested and police are sent in to arrest an African American disproportionately much more often.

The bigger issue in my opinion to address is segregation of housing and education and racism related to hiring practices in our society and how that and other issues lead to high arrest rates for African Americans.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:10 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I don't know if the police can heart attack you to death while detaining you. That may make the difference.

That's the weak point of the prosecutor's case.

The defense attorney brought this up in closing arguments.

Pointing out that the medical examiner *watched the arrest video* to determine homicide.

As there's *no physical proof* that Chauvin caused Floyd's heart to stop.

Be the hero of your life.