Satellite data shows up climate forecasts

Page 7 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 9:15 pm

?

Quote:
One reason, he explained, was that global warming appears to be leading to a weakening of the global jet streams -- air that flows high in the Earth's atmosphere.

As the jet stream waves grow slower and wavier, they allow weather systems to "become parked" in one spot for longer.

"You can get a summertime situation where you get persistent heatwaves, and the heat just builds and builds and builds, because the wave is not moving on," Nairn said.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 9:26 pm

"Brazil experiencing winter heat wave"

Quote:
Brazil is enduring a heat wave in the middle of the southern hemisphere's winter, with the metropolis of Sao Paulo close to breaking records for August and for the year 2023.

The inhabitants of the largest city in Latin America, with 11.5 million people, have been surprised by temperatures almost 10 degrees above the average for the month, of 24.5 degree Celsius (76.1 degrees Fahrenheit), according to the National Institute of Meteorology (Inmet).

And thermometers hit a high of 32.3 Celsius on Wednesday, close to the 32.5 Celsius reported on January 16, in summer.

I'm sorry, I'm a guy. I've got to ask. Does this mean smaller swimsuits? 8-O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 9:28 pm

Double Retired wrote:
?
Quote:
One reason, he explained, was that global warming appears to be leading to a weakening of the global jet streams -- air that flows high in the Earth's atmosphere.

As the jet stream waves grow slower and wavier, they allow weather systems to "become parked" in one spot for longer.

"You can get a summertime situation where you get persistent heatwaves, and the heat just builds and builds and builds, because the wave is not moving on," Nairn said.

Thank you, been very very hot,humid here, its parked over us,here.And fatigue , caused me a slip on my reading :D
...Lolzz yaah..yaah swimsuits....Hot time in Rio tonight...uhm how do you get smaller than a string thong?

Nothing left to the imagination ..... 8)

where ever you go ,there you are

The Bride
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2023, 1:08 pm

Ouch! Gotta wonder what their summer's going to look like if they're having significant temperature rises in the winter...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 1:13 pm

The Bride wrote:
Ouch! Gotta wonder what their summer's going to look like if they're having significant temperature rises in the winter...

I wouldn't anticipate a direct corelation. Some places where summers get warmer can also see winters get colder, depending on what factors are actually in play.

For example, being prone to heat domes in the summer doesn't mean one won't get blasted by cold arctic air in the winter.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2023, 1:48 pm

"Sea levels have been rising since the American Civil War. The reason? Coal"

Quote:
The American Civil War was well underway by the time President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863. Coincidentally, new findings show that global patterns of modern sea-level rise first emerged that same year. Though climate change and rising tides may have seemingly nothing in common with the famous, if symbolic, gesture of freeing slaves, they are more connected to Civil War than one might assume.

Nowadays, we associate climate change with clogged highways full of gas-guzzling cars and smoke stacks belching fumes from coal-fired power plants. But in the mid-19th century, climate change certainly was not the problem that it is today; but coal, which still powers 20 percent of the electrical grid today, was fueling an era of industrialization. Revolutionized by the coal-powered steam engine, transportation in the form of steamboats and railroads ultimately aided Union victory in what has been described as the first modern war.

There is broad consensus at this point that climate change started in the mid-19th century, and little doubt that burning fossil fuels, primarily coal, is the cause.

"Climate change will raise sea levels, cause apocalyptic floods and displace almost a billion people"
Quote:
When climatologist Dr. Twila Moon described a future of climate change-caused horrors as "baked in," she may not have intended to create a darkly apt pun for global warming. Certainly the future she laid out for sea level rise, a term for an increase in the level of the world's oceans, is a very grim one. As humans burn fossil fuels and emit so many greenhouse gases that they unnaturally overheat the planet, scientists agree that complex processes result which culminate in rising sea levels.

"Sea level rise from our past of heat trapping emissions is really baked in for the next few decades," Moon, who is the deputy lead scientist at NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center explained. "We are going to be seeing sea levels rise for the next several decades."

Moon says this will occur regardless of the actions undertaken today, and humanity will need to plan accordingly. There will be an increased number of inland floods, permanently changed coastlines and infrastructure damage, including everything from water sewage to transportation. If the billions of people who live near the coasts decide to move further away from the ocean, there will also be a massive population shift fueled by climate refugees.

Um...I'm still interested in the tiny bikini forecast.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 4:12 pm

"The Death Toll From Climate Change Will Be Catastrophic, Scientists Say"

Quote:
Now, a grim new estimate finds that approximately 1 billion people will die this century from various disasters driven by global warming, most of them poor and in the global south — a chilling data point as experts start to go beyond the mechanics behind climate change and move towards grappling with its dreadful toll.

This somber analysis was arrived at by researchers in Canada and Austria who analyzed 180 studies on climate change and mortality, as laid out in a new paper published in the journal Energies. From the analysis, they converged on a "1000-ton rule," which means for every 1,000 tons of fossil fuel burned, a person dies. Calculating with this rule in mind, the researchers concluded that roughly 1 billion people will die if the planet warms up to 2 degrees celsius or higher by 2100.

The poor in the global south aren't the ones burning the most fossil fuels per person, are they.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2023, 4:31 pm

"11 people went to the hospital after a bumpy Delta flight. What is a 'severe turbulence' injury?"

Quote:
The incident raises many questions about how you can get injured during turbulence, especially since a recent study from the University of Reading in the U.K. found that air turbulence — and severe air turbulence in particular — is on the rise, thanks to global warming.

Groan. I used to have perhaps a handful of trips via air travel a year, thanks to work. Courtesy of the 9/11 attacks air travel became much less pleasant after 2000...because of security precautions at the airport. And now climate change is making it less pleasant to be in the air, too?!?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 1:46 pm

"This summer was a global record breaker for the highest heat ever measured, meteorologists say"

Quote:
“The dog days of summer are not just barking, they are biting,” United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a statement. “Climate breakdown has begun.”

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 3:38 pm

"Earth is outside its 'safe operating space for humanity' on most key measurements, study says"

Quote:
Earth is exceeding its “safe operating space for humanity” in six of nine key measurements of its health, and two of the remaining three are headed in the wrong direction, a new study said.

Earth’s climate, biodiversity, land, freshwater, nutrient pollution and “novel” chemicals (human-made compounds like microplastics and nuclear waste) are all out of whack, a group of international scientists said in Wednesday’s journal Science Advances. Only the acidity of the oceans, the health of the air and the ozone layer are within the boundaries considered safe, and both ocean and air pollution are heading in the wrong direction, the study said.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 1:52 pm

"Scientists are sounding the alarm about a dangerous problem that will soon affect 2 billion people — here’s what to know"

Quote:
As the world has gotten hotter, more people are exposed to dangerously high temperatures each year. Recent findings published in Nature Sustainability show that without policy changes, the world will heat up enough by the end of the century that more than 2 billion people will live in life-threatening hot climates, as Science Hub reported.

So far, the world’s average temperature has risen by just under 1.2 degrees Celsius (about 2 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial level due to human activity, according to Science Hub. The Paris Agreement — an international treaty to limit heat-trapping gases produced by each country and stop the world from getting hotter — proposed to cap the increase at 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

However, the new study found that with the current laws, population growth, and environmental conditions, the world will likely reach about 4.8 degrees Fahrenheit above the preindustrial benchmark, per Science Hub.
You see...the thing is...I don't like hot weather!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 9:25 am

"French ski resort closes permanently because there’s not enough snow"

Quote:
Winter is coming. And for yet another ski resort in France, that means facing up to the reality that there isn’t enough snow to carry on.

La Sambuy, a town which runs a family skiing destination near Mont Blanc in the French Alps, has decided to dismantle its ski lifts because global warming has shrunk its ski season to just a few weeks, meaning it’s no longer profitable to keep them open.

“Before, we used to have snow practically from the first of December up until the 30th of March,” La Sambuy’s mayor, Jacques Dalex, told CNN.

Last winter, however, there was only “four weeks of snow, and even then, not much snow,” he added. That meant “very quickly, stones and rocks appeared on the piste.”

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 9:46 am

This doesn't sound good for overall future.... Gotta wonder how our ski destinations overhere (usa)are doing ...
Guess gonna be bigger business in snow machines ?
btw ...what happened to the Author of this thread.. who or what caused him to quit posting ?. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Last edited by Jakki on 18 Sep 2023, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 10:11 am

Jakki wrote:
This does sound good for overall future.... Gotta wonde how our ski destinations overhere (usa)are doing ...
Guess gonba be bigger business in snow machines ?
btw ...what happened to the Author of this thread.. who or what caused him to quit posting ?. 8O

Yeah. The Skunk has disappeared.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 9:12 pm

"'Humanity has opened the gates of hell': U.N. chief calls for climate change action"

Quote:
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres opened the United Nations’ Climate Ambition Summit on Wednesday in New York City with a dramatic declaration that “humanity has opened the gates of hell.”

Following the hottest summer on record, which featured a number of devastating extreme weather events linked to rising global temperatures, Guterres cataloged some of the results.

“Horrendous heat is having horrendous effects,” he said. “Distraught farmers watching crops carried away by floods. Sweltering temperatures spawning disease.”

The U.N. chief went on to call for more aggressive action to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions causing climate change and increased financial support for the most affected countries. He was followed by speakers from 34 nations discussing their own actions to address climate change.

While the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has said that 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming over preindustrial temperatures will cause catastrophic global consequences, national pledges to reduce emissions have so far fallen short of what is needed to stay below that threshold — leaving what experts call an “emissions gap.” The world already has warmed 1.1℃, and current policies put the world on pace for an estimated 2.7℃ (4℉) of warming by the end of this century.

Don't politicians tend to understate problems?!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 10:40 am

"Shocking images show snowplows cleaning city streets after summer storm brings 12 inches of ice and snow"

Quote:
In one recent example of changing weather patterns throughout the globe, the city of Reutlingen, Germany, experienced 12 inches of hail and snow in August.

Officials in the city, which is located in the southwest of Germany, described the event as a “localized storm with hail and heavy rain.” It took 250 firefighters and multiple snowplows to clean up the damage from the unexpected storm, which included blocked drainage systems and the Echaz River rising 5 feet and bursting its banks. ES Euro featured images here.

August is typically the warmest month in Reutlingen, with average temperatures ranging from 54.5 to 73.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The month of August typically brings no snowfall, according to Weather Atlas, as it is the height of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.
It used to be called "Global Warming." This story illustrates why it is now called "Climate Change."