Have you SEEN that new, all-electric Ford 150 pickup?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Is this for real?
Naw. It's just a PR stunt. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Why not? We can put a man on Mars, but can't make an affordable electric vehicle? 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
Who knows. I don't follow the news. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 11:01 am

Biden test-drove it on a recent visit to a Ford plant.

OMG, it has amazing stats, including a generator that can run your house in the event of a power failure, and starts at under $40,000!

That's going to be a game changer. That was Biden's point: we can get away from the internal combustiom engine NOW - it's here, NOW. Oh, and auxiliary points - it's made in America; it's affordable; the performance doesn't suffer one bit. Also, it illustrates that with the right combination of engineering excellence and forward-thinking political leadership, we can be world leaders in this technology and meet environmental goals.

If I could afford a pickup, I'd go out and buy one today.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 12:10 pm

Love to have one but out of my price range.I’ll be driving my gasoline Chevy S-10 for a long long time.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 7:22 pm

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 8:42 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
including a generator that can run your house in the event of a power failure,

There seem to be some conditions in the fine print, which likely require spending additional money on both the truck and the home, and doing additional work to the home, https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Quote:
*When home is properly equipped and home transfer switch disconnects home from the grid. Based on 30 kWh use per day using the F-150 Lightning with the extended-range battery. Your results may vary depending on energy usage.

Quote:
TARGETED EPA-ESTIMATED 300-MILE RANGE
The Ford F-150 Lightning comes with a standard-range battery that offers a targeted EPA-estimated range of 230 miles. * Or choose the available extended-range battery that offers a targeted EPA-estimated range of 300 miles. *

*Excludes Platinum models. Based on full charge. USA EPA-targeted range reflecting current status based on analytical projection consistent with US EPA combined drive cycle. Actual range varies with conditions such as external environment, vehicle use, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health. Final EPA-estimated ratings available in 2022 calendar year.

But, hey, I guess that would be an improvement over having no option to do so.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 8:45 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Quote:
*When home is properly equipped and home transfer switch disconnects home from the grid. Based on 30 kWh use per day using the F-150 Lightning with the extended-range battery. Your results may vary depending on energy usage.

But, hey, I guess that would be an improvement over having no option to do so.

That's basically what's required to have a backup generator for one's home.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 8:48 pm

That sounds pretty cool and quite useful,

Quote:
PRO TRAILER HITCH ASSIST
Available Pro Trailer Hitch Assist helps you to hook up your trailer more easily by automatically controlling the steering wheel, throttle and braking to align the hitch ball and trailer coupler. All the driver needs to do is hold down a button and control the gears. The driver is then alerted to help ensure that the coupler is high enough to clear the hitch ball. Once the two are aligned, the truck stops and you lower the trailer onto the tow ball.

ONBOARD SCALES
This available feature offers a scale that measures payload weight automatically based on the specific capability of the F-150 Lightning. It then displays the approximate payload weight in the truck. Load information is displayed in the center touchscreen with a graphic representation of the truck or on a mobile phone through the FordPass™ App.164 Additionally, the truck can be set on scale mode, which zeroes out the current load and allows for approximate weighing of additional items loaded onto the pickup.
Preproduction screen shown and is subject to change.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 8:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I had looked up some info about backup generators but since I live on an upper floor apartment of subsidized housing, a backup generator is undoable for me even if I was given a generator, therefore I didn't spend overly long pursuing the details.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:59 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Biden test-drove it on a recent visit to a Ford plant.

OMG, it has amazing stats, including a generator that can run your house in the event of a power failure, and starts at under $40,000!

That's going to be a game changer. That was Biden's point: we can get away from the internal combustiom engine NOW - it's here, NOW. Oh, and auxiliary points - it's made in America; it's affordable; the performance doesn't suffer one bit. Also, it illustrates that with the right combination of engineering excellence and forward-thinking political leadership, we can be world leaders in this technology and meet environmental goals.

If I could afford a pickup, I'd go out and buy one today.

Where was this when we had the big ice storm here?

Sign me up!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 1:05 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I had looked up some info about backup generators but since I live on an upper floor apartment of subsidized housing, a backup generator is undoable for me even if I was given a generator, therefore I didn't spend overly long pursuing the details.

My dad has one.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 8:36 pm

Cybertruck also starts at $40k usd and is bigger w/ longer range IF it gets built as promised. Only thing it doesn't have is the home backup power option. Otherwise it's bigger and better in almost every metric. https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#battery

But it doesn't LOOK like a typical truck, which may be a turnoff to the typical F-150 buying crowd.