4 Catholic Churches burned down (so far!) in BC

Page 8 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
No justice, but some how peace is expected. :?

Not by me. 8)

Ironically no one is actually sure who's responsible for any of these incidents at this point so perhaps the assumptions that it was definitely indigenous people should be dialed back no matter what direction they're being made from.

I agree that we don’t know who is responsible.One of the articles mentioned the fire department thought Molotov cocktails were used and another article mentions lighter fluid.
A statement from two of the tribes.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-1150/news ... 1.15468316

So now they think the Russians did it? :?

I suppose it's not too far fetched.. a lot of Ukrainians on the prairies.

It doesn’t say anything about Russians.
Just Tribes speaking out that they would prefer people not speculate or set fires.
It’s the local fire departments that are staffed by Natives that would respond.Doesn’t seem right that they would need to risk their life.
https://indigenousfiresafety.ca/about/afac-apac/
It’s not right that the choice to destroy the structures was made a by a few instead of the whole Tribal body.
Mentioned in this article and the worry that one of the fires might spread to some homes.
https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/a ... rning-down

:lol:

You find this humorous?The Natives don’t.

“There is a lot of anger here now against the Catholic church. There is a lot of blame for what happened to the children,” Chief Crow said.

“The church burning is devastating to our community. Some of our members attended church. Memories were made at the church. There have been weddings in the good times and funerals held there in the bad times,” Chief Crow said. “Whoever did it should know it was just wrong.”

Chief Crow told Native News Online that within his community, decisions should be made as a whole. If it was time for the church to go, it should have come to a community decision, not just whoever set the fire.”

No, I found it humourous that you didn't get the Russian reference.

I'm not laughing at the situation.. it's quite serious. My reaction is more of a nod of understanding as to why these churches are excommunicating themselves from The Church via self immolation by fire.

I think you will have to enlighten several of us about the Russians.Lots of people use Molotov cocktails with no Russian heritage.Like the Finns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov ... #Etymology

I can understand the anger, but it should be decision for the whole tribe instead of a few.If the whole tribe agrees they don’t want those buildings on their land then they can be removed safely with no risk to other property or lives.I’d have no problem with that at all.

Why is a complete consensus required for you to accept removal of symbols of genocide? :?

It's almost never that an entire society agrees fully on anything. It's almost always that a small % of people make decisions for the rest - like elected officials, or any other group in a position of power or influence.

Seems to me there's a small group of people who've decided for their reasons that they want or need these buildings deleted from their field of view. So, they've gone ahead and done it. Not all that different from others deciding things for the masses, really.

Basically it’s tribal business and not for you or I to decide.I’ve posted what tribal leaders have stated and their words say more than yours or mine.

It's also the business of individuals, not simply the jurisdiction of Tribal governments.

Who are you or I to decide what is required for an individual's healing process?

If seeing symbols of genocide removed from the landscape in a fire cleansing ceremony is something someone needs to progress in their own personal healing, so be it, IMO.

The tribe is more than an individual.That’s why it’s a tribe.
If you are so invested , when are you lighting up your families Catholic Church in solidarity?

Just because I understand & accept why some people are doing this doesn't mean I'm lining up to do it myself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Is that the best you’ve got?

Those were the best gifs google image search had to offer up, so, I guess yeah - can't be bothered to use multiple search engines to see if maybe, just maybe, there's a slightly better gif or two.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:41 pm

Ok, in the spirit of your GIF, Blame Canada!!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Ok, in the spirit of your GIF, Blame Canada!!

And I do. 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:08 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:09 pm

I see a whole lot of people who aren't native who feel entitled to comment on what's almost certainly an internal issue.

It doesn't matter what side you're on, the fact that you're utterly disconnected to the issue makes your opinions worth less than the time it takes to post them or the effort you invest in being snarky to each other.

Quoting a few chiefs making official comments doesn't entitle one to speak for Canada's indigenous community.

Having sympathy for why a member of that community might lash out doesn't mean that that view represents a monopoly on how people in these communities feel.

Can you guys cut it the f**k out? Neither of you is contributing anything positive and just because both of you enjoy the privilege of not having to take stuff like this personally doesn't mean that everyone here has that privilege.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm

Is it a whole lot of people, as stated in your first paragraph or just two people as indicated by "neither of you"?

I don't want to sideline the OP's thread, and certainly I'm halfway across the world myself, so my own knowledge about the specific background is limited and not based on experience. My own country has resolved and unresolved issues of its own. But I must admit that the discoveries of what happened under the auspices of the church schools was shocking.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:29 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Is it a whole lot of people, as stated in your first paragraph or just two people as indicated by "neither of you"?

I don't want to sideline the OP's thread, and certainly I'm halfway across the world myself, so my own knowledge about the specific background is limited and not based on experience. My own country has resolved and unresolved issues of its own. But I must admit that the discoveries of what happened under the auspices of the church schools was shocking.

'A whole lot' isn't just including WP, just in general.
'Neither of you' is referring to the two posters here.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jul 2021, 2:35 pm

OK... thanks.

my blog:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:51 pm

I would suggest not reading what triggers you.
I’m not speaking for them ,but posting their words.One from a native news site.
It’s also not just a problem in Canada,
there are unmarked graves here and residential schools still in operation.
https://www.indianz.com/News/2021/07/08 ... stigation/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:57 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
OK... thanks.

For what it's worth I'm not asking for any sort of intervention, just asking everyone who wants to comment to take a second to remember that the situation involves actual people who feel actual trauma as a result of how these schools operated and that this trauma doesn't always come with healthy or appropriate coping skills.

The rate of mental illness and substance abuse among survivors of these schools is elevated, even people who didn't personally go have seen how these institutions ruined the lives of those who were forced to go to them. The harm inflicted extends beyond just the immediate victims.

It's fair to criticize the arsons as wrong and the arsonists as criminals but some of the exaggerations over the nature of the crimes has sounded unreasonable and uninformed. If that initial harm inflicted against these communities has harmed some members so deeply that they're unable to see how their actions will end up harming their communities that a tragedy and dismissing the root cause like they're a monster instead of someone who's been deeply wounded and in need of healing demonstrates a deep lack of understanding about the situation.

That said, no one should be cheering on the arsons either, the people doing them aren't acting in an acceptable way and they're harming others even if some people do feel catharsis.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 2:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I would suggest not commenting on things you don't have enough depth of familiarity with to make reasonable comments on, but that's just me. :wink:

Copying a few comments devoid of context from a news site doesn't make you an expert on how indigenous Canadians feel.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jul 2021, 3:02 pm

Yes - so many wrongs - how would we have felt in their situation? Going a few kilometres in someone else's shoes would be instructive - hard to feel their kind of pain.

That said, please allow for dissenting opinions or those that take a look from a different angle. I don't believe anyone here condones what happened at these schools but might differ on how restitution should be achieved.

my blog:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I would suggest not commenting on things you don't have enough depth of familiarity with to make reasonable comments on, but that's just me. :wink:

Copying a few comments devoid of context from a news site doesn't make you an expert on how indigenous Canadians feel.

Of course not, but I can read what they say and learn from them.It was more than a few native news sites.
Are you native?Just curious.
I was in a group home and of course I didn’t experience the extent of the trauma they did.It also was not good and one of the reasons I have PTSD.Have you ever attended one of those?So I can understand how a survivor feels ,but I also will never experience having my language and religion stripped from me.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jul 2021, 3:11 pm

Yes, nothing worse than taking away a child's language, religion or culture and forcing them to accept your own as the conqueror. It's happened throughout history however, when the victors want to put their own stamp on society to consolidate their control. It happened here too. Suppression of culture is seen by some as "civilization". It's good to see how many folk today are proud of their indigenous heritage, and I've been watching a few YT videos about that.

my blog:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Of course not, but I can read what they say and learn from them.It was more than a few native news sites.
Are you native?Just curious.
I was in a group home and of course I didn’t experience the extent of the trauma they did.It also was not good and one of the reasons I have PTSD.Have you ever attended one of those?So I can understand how a survivor feels ,but I also will never experience having my language and religion stripped from me.

Yes I am. My grandmother and all of her siblings attended a boarding school ran by the Catholic Church in the province of Quebec. I have other relatives who went to the residential schools in Quebec. I'll concede I'm not certain if the boarding school she went to was the same as a residential school and if that was a euphemism, or if it wasn't connected to that. She spoke French so that might be the distinction.

Think about it this way, you know how when an autistic criminal commits a terrible crime and some people here get outraged that autism comes up because it feels like it makes the entire community look bad?

Well, imagine now if the criminal action was a result of life-long abuse inflicted upon that person and that they may or may not be in a healthy enough state of mind to ignore that aspect of whether or not they can bear responsibility, their loved ones believe they need compassion and people seem to be screaming to throw the book at them before the situation is even understood fully.

If it was your loved one you'd feel a degree of 'whoa, this person needs compassion' and you'd be hurt if people ignored that to use your other loved ones condemnations of the acts as calls for punishment when ultimately they're also on the pro-compassion side.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 10 Jul 2021, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.