Andrew Cuomo sexually harrassed mutiple women

Page 3 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:51 pm

AngelRho wrote:
When Republicans are the target of accusations, the whole party turns their back on you.

I haven't seen any Rs or Qs turn their backs on Matt Gaetz.
Or on any of the accusations of being white supremacists.
Or accusations of anti-semitism.
Or accusations of being a Jan 6 co-conspirator.
They all seem to band together to vote "no" on any- and every-thing.

Liz Cheney is the only person I've seen them turn their backs on lately.

AngelRho wrote:
And, bless his heart, nobody was ever going to sincerely vote for Sanders, either.

You were probably locked behind a filter bubble and couldn't see it, but support for Bernie was pretty huge. Almost everyone I knew was rooting for him, and they were all pretty bummed when it ended up being "vote for the lesser or two evils".
I really don't like any politicians at all, EVER, but I really liked him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 4:13 am

Brictoria wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Cuomo’s power has come entirely from his own party. If I’ve learned anything from legal experience and associations with local politicians, it’s that there’s a deep buddy system that nobody ever really sees purely from the media. It never gets reported on, but elections really are decided waaaaay in advance because that buddy system has a lot to do with who ends up running for office. It’s not that hard to be a governor or president because few people seriously want those jobs. Sometimes those in power don’t actually want those jobs.

The Democratic party is much more interested in circling the wagons and protecting their own at all costs than Republicans ever would be. When sexual allegations actually hit their mark as with Cuomo as of late, it’s not by accident. Cuomo has pissed someone off big time. We’ll likely never find out the details, but don’t doubt me…Cuomo has abysmally failed someone out there and made an enemy, and now there will be “victims” crawling out of the woodwork to nail him to the wall. I’ll be surprised if he gets removed from office or worse, but at the same time, it wouldn’t really be all that shocking.

It may not be a case of him having "pissed off someone big time", but (due to timing) may be a way to distract from Mr Biden's "Department of Justice" declining to look into the nursing home deaths in a number of states - Given New York was the more publicised state, putting pressure on him for a different matter might be intended to distract the public.

That said, I had heard from several sources that he wasn't liked by many (if any) powerbrokers in his party (well before this blew up) being tolerated simply as a weapon to use against the former President, and following the recent election he was no longer required to fill that role.

I mean...you might be right, but I'm not really trying to go THERE. It's such an unusual pattern when Democrats turn on their own, and I'm not speaking as a supporter or detractor of either party. When Republicans are the target of accusations, the whole party turns their back on you. Democrats will defend you until there's nothing left to defend. Republicans could learn a thing or two from Democrats about corporate solidarity.

I think the reason for this difference comes down to the parties beliefs regarding people: The Democrats tend to be more "collective" focussed, putting people into groups, whereas the Republicans are more "independant"\individualistic in nature (also demonstrated in the way one party pushes for "representation" for groups, whilst the other looks towards individual "merit"). As a result, the Democrats defend their own, seeing an attack on one of their "tribe" as being an attack on the tribe as a whole, whereas the Republicans see similar actions as only reflecting on that individual, and not as a representation of the party.

This leads to the Democrats appearing as a unified group, but at the same time gives rise to the appearance that they tolerate certain behavious simply because they defend those of their tribe so strongly when accusations against them are made. On the other side, it gives the Republicans the ability to show they do not tolerate certain behaviour through removal of those people acting in certain ways, but also gives the appearance they do not support others in their tribe...The balance between defending the tribe and upholding the principle is what sets the 2 sides apart.

You're kidding, right?
The Republican party has since become the Trump cult with all members giving their orange messiah absolute obedience, even after some of them had put the blame squarely on Trump on the 6th. Those few Republicans daring to stand up to Trump have been "shunned," in true cult fashion. Sounds pretty collectivist to me.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 4:22 am

Truly amazing how this thread quickly became about Trump. And it's not right-wing Trump cultists who took it in that direction.

As for Cuomo, this was an open secret for the past several years, but nothing came of it until now. Couldn't take out a Democrat governor with Trump in power. Couldn't take out the politically-necessary governor during COVID. It all comes out now...Trump is gone, vaccines are readily available, Cuomo served his purpose.

If his behavior is so egregious, this shouldn't have been buried regardless of the political climate. But it was. Now, he's expendable, now they give the green-light to bring him down (instead of 2 years ago).

Personally, I think he is guilty of some of the allegations. Others were made up to fuel the fire. A small minority might be women who want in on the action ($$, fantasists, hysterics). I just hope truth and facts prevail.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 5:08 am

Cuomo might get the sack, but 75 million Americans support another rapist
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wome ... ?r=US&IR=T

Pot calling the kettle black :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 7:04 am

The only problem is that Biden has actually asked Cuomo to resign.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/03/poli ... index.html

My post was intended to show that a large swathe of the American population might froth at the mouth over democrats like Bill Clinton and Andrew Cuomo fornicating but concurrently have no problem supporting a supreme court nomination who was a college rapist or a POTIUS who has 26 outstanding allegations of sexual assault from 26 different women. He is also on the record for boasting he could assault any woman he wanted.

I find the trajecotry of this thread to be somewhat cockeyed given the deplorable reputation of members of republican party with women.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 7:22 am

Oh, where are you Rashida, where are you?

Please share your eloquence and wisdom again ...

Be the hero of your life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 10:45 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

What is "MF"? :scratch: :mrgreen:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
When Republicans are the target of accusations, the whole party turns their back on you.

I haven't seen any Rs or Qs turn their backs on Matt Gaetz.
Or on any of the accusations of being white supremacists.
Or accusations of anti-semitism.
Or accusations of being a Jan 6 co-conspirator.
They all seem to band together to vote "no" on any- and every-thing.

AngelRho wrote:
And, bless his heart, nobody was ever going to sincerely vote for Sanders, either.

You were probably locked behind a filter bubble and couldn't see it, but support for Bernie was pretty huge. Almost everyone I knew was rooting for him, and they were all pretty bummed when it ended up being "vote for the lesser or two evils".
I really don't like any politicians at all, EVER, but I really liked him.

Liz Cheney had to go. I'm not sad about that one bit.

Meh...I don't care one way or the other about Gaetz. That's really just another example that demonstrates my point. QAnon is dedicated to a tinfoil hat cause, so of course Gaetz gets their undying loyalty. I don't think you can assume that's the mainstream viewpoint, though.

I do believe, btw, that probably on average many of your typical Republicans are going to be loyal to whoever's in power. Trump is a media darling who at least has the courage to say what many of us are thinking, which is why Trump got to be so popular. But I still maintain Dems did not take down Trump without a lot of help. People like Sarah Longwell, Joe Walsh, Steve Schmidt, Bill Kristol, George Conway, Anthony Scaramucci, and pretty much anyone remotely associated with Right Side PAC, RVAT, The Lincoln Project, and half of all the Republicans who ran in the primaries. If you want to make a case for a conspiracy theory, that right there is your conspiracy...except nobody was ever hiding anything. They stayed on point for getting rid of Trump. For a few months Fox News, Drudge, CNN, and NPR were in perfect sync.

Then you had incompetent people like Sessions who was a disaster of an AG. Compare with Holder, Yates, Lynch, Ashcroft, and Reno. I mean...you can't tell me NONE of them EVER had a conflict of interest, but the Democrat examples might as well have had the long knives in their hands staring down the party Brownshirts. Everyone fell in line, and if there was a law the president didn't like, they just ignored it. Reno was especially catastrophic. But Reno and Holder both had one thing in common: They had the President's back like a butt crack, and it didn't matter how much heat Republicans put on them.

Sessions? Recused himself before the ink dried on the paperwork.

I think Trump was ahead of his time in the Republican party following Obama's lead with regard to attempting to secure loyalty from a few highly-reputed Republicans. But he missed the fact that Republican pols have no value or use for solidarity. They'll throw anyone under a bus and apologize for all sorts of things they don't actually feel guilty for if it means picking up one or two votes. I'd be like, GREAT! Whatever it takes. Except it's not winning any votes for Republicans. It's not helping any careers, it's not passing better policies.

All Republicans have to do is hold steady while a Republican executive is in power. That's really it. If Dems can selectively enforce and ignore laws in the justice department, so can our guys without fear of reprisal. The AG takes the pres side, which is why the pres appoints him, anyway. When accusations are made, MAKE THEM PROVE IT first, don't automagically accept accusations as truth, and stick by your own people UNTIL accusers come up with something that will actually stick. I must add that it has been proven extremely difficult to bypass the justice department, but if you cave and give Dems any room at all, you've already lost as a Republican.

This is not negative commentary on Dems, btw, and isn't even intended as such. It's just an observation. Republican response to attacks have been consistently half-hearted, and when you make the mistake of pointing to Gaetz and those like him as examples, you're really pointing to people who don't really have that much power to start with and who nobody is really going to take all that seriously in the big picture.

Andy, though...that's a whole other beast. You're talking about God's right-hand man, Gabriel himself, HOLDING THE TRUMPET ready to sound the end of all creation at any time, the one pulling all the strings in New York state, and he's being read all over the media. He can't catch a break. I just can't fathom that it's simply a matter of he's no longer politically necessary. That's what they have elections for. Naw, cuz... You don't have that happen in a party that pushes solidarity that hard. You expect Republicans to turn on their own. Something HUGE happened. It's entirely possible we'll never find out what happened, but someone is loaded for bear out there.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 5:03 pm

President of country’s largest LGBTQ rights group ensnared in Cuomo scandal

Quote:
The president of the country’s largest LGBTQ advocacy organization is facing calls to resign over his alleged role in efforts to discredit a woman who accused New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment.

Human Rights Campaign President Alphonso David, who served as the embattled governor’s chief counsel from 2015-19, is mentioned dozens of times throughout a report released Tuesday by the New York Attorney General’s Office that concluded Cuomo sexually harassed nearly a dozen women and violated the law.

LGBTQ advocates calling for David to step down say they are particularly alarmed by several incidents from December that they allege show David aided in efforts to discredit one of the governor’s accusers. Most of the incidents mentioned in the report took place while David was serving as president of the Human Rights Campaign.

David, who called for Cuomo to resign Tuesday after the report’s release, told NBC News in an email Thursday that the findings “made me sick to my stomach.

“I was never aware of any allegations of sexual misconduct, and no one ever reported them to me, as the report verifies,” he said. “Of the 11 survivors, I only directly engaged with one, and that was on a personnel matter that had nothing to do with sexual misconduct.”

The report verifies that no one reported allegations of sexual misconduct to David during his employment as the governor’s chief counsel, and that he only had contact with one of Cuomo’s accusers, Lindsey Boylan, regarding a personnel matter. According to the report, David first became aware of Boylan’s allegations in December 2020 — while he was president of the Human Rights Campaign

After Boylan first began tweeting about the governor in early December, Melissa DeRosa, the governor’s secretary, asked David for a confidential personnel file on Boylan from her time working in the executive chamber, according to emails and text message exchanges cited in the report. David, who had met with Boylan after other employees had filed complaints against Boylan, directed DeRosa to the governor’s acting counsel, who shared the full file with DeRosa, according to the report.

DeRosa has not responded to a request for comment and has not issued a public response to the attorney general’s report.

A few days later, David shared additional documents “relating to his investigation into and counseling” of Boylan for personnel matters, according to David’s testimony. He sent the documents to Richard Azzopardi, Cuomo’s senior deputy communications director and senior adviser at the time, and testified that he kept a copy of the documents even after he left his job as Cuomo’s chief counsel because it “may have been the only instance where [he] was actually involved in a counseling of an employee when [he] was in the Executive Chamber,” the report says.

In an effort to discredit Boylan, Cuomo’s aides later leaked the file — which included the documents David shared — to a number of news outlets, along with a statement that there was “no truth” to her claims, according to the report.

The report does not claim that David was involved in the decision to leak the file.

In another alleged incident described in the report, Cuomo’s aides — not including David — pressured a former staffer to call a woman named Kaitlin, who had tweeted in support of Boylan after she initially tweeted her accusations. DeRosa “was looking for information about if [Kaitlin] was working with Lindsey [Boylan] or if she had allegations against the Governor,” the report says. Investigators also allege that David was involved in discussions about recording the call, though a source familiar with the situation told NBC News that David does not recall having any such conversations and did not know Kaitlin, whose last name is not included in the report.

In another alleged incident around Dec. 15, David was involved in the circulation of a letter or op-ed that “denied the legitimacy of Ms. Boylan’s allegations, impugned her credibility, and attacked her claims as politically motivated,” according to the report.

Though the letter was never published or sent, investigators found that “its substance was shared with a significant number of current and former Executive Chamber employees who were not otherwise aware of the information in it,” and that the way the governor’s office responded to Boylan’s allegations amounted to unlawful retaliation.

It later notes that “Mr. David testified that he did not agree to have his name attached to the statement because he did not know if the statements in it were true and he did not think it was a good response.”

Roberta Kaplan, an attorney who successfully argued the landmark Supreme Court case that struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, also saw the letter, according to investigators, and she showed it to Tina Tchen, the head of advocacy at Time’s Up, a charity that support’s victims of sexual harassment.

Kaplan has not returned a request for comment, but told The Washington Post that she “made it very clear that any response should never shame an accuser.”

“Given the revelations in the New York Attorney General report, I support and agree with Time’s Up that Governor Cuomo should resign,” she added.

In a series of tweets on Wednesday, Tchen wrote that she has never given advice to the governor or his team.

“I’m furious that the Governor’s office used me and TIME’S UP as a justification for their defense,” she wrote. “TIME’S UP is an organization that has always centered survivors while holding those committing harm accountable. Any characterization of us to the contrary is simply not true.”

The same source familiar with the situation told NBC News that even after the letter discrediting Boylan was revised, David refused to sign it because he was not familiar with many of the references in it. The source also corroborated David’s claim that he was not advised of any sexual misconduct claims that the office may have been aware of.

According to press reports, David is facing pressure from some Human Rights Campaign staff to step down. In an all-staff meeting Wednesday, employees asked him to resign several times, according to The Washington Post and HuffPost, which both reportedly obtained audio of the meeting. The Human Rights Campaign did not respond to NBC News’ requests seeking to verify these reports.

A few officials and advocates have publicly called on David to resign.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:17 pm

Brictoria wrote:
and another group indulging in "whataboutisms" in order to try and excuse the behaviour which was in the report (whether through "solidarity" with the side that is the target of the report, or because they see nothing wrong with the behaviour identified in the report is an open question).

I can't speak for everyone here but I certainly don't endorse any form of sexual harassment.

The difference you are ignoring is that Biden has taken swift action in calling for Cuomo's sacking. I should imagine that's the end of it.

In stark contrast the republicans not only ignore, but endorse candidates with a history of misogyny against women. There's also interesting convergence between the republicans and our own coalition here in Australia in the number of female candidates who hold office. Familiar patterns.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

What is "MF"? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Be the hero of your life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:57 pm

What is Motherf---er? :scratch:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
What is Motherf---er? :scratch:

Another word for "father"?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:05 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

There’s also Adam Kinzinger. If he runs for president in ‘24, I would consider him.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 1:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

There’s also Adam Kinzinger. If he runs for president in ‘24, I would consider him.

I fear that as long as Trump draws breath, Kinzinger would never get his party's support.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 2:05 am

Kinzinger and 9 other republicans appear to be the only members of their party who have balls to maintain some level of integrity
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/3 ... rty-464140

He also is not afraid to call out the hypocrites in the GOP who sniff the backsides of racists

I'd certainly prefer Kinzinger to a unloyal traitor like Tulsi Gabbard if she ever got nominated by the democrats.