Amy Cooper tells her side of the story

Page 7 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:18 am

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
She was panicking.
She said stupid things.
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand the situation.

You could even argue that in a moment of panic at being confronted by a large yelling man while alone in a park, she seized on a racist weapon in the form of the threat with the police, and that could be defended. However, you're dealing with ignorant sh***ibs here, so off with her head and forget the nuance, even as these very people would likely be crucifying the man if the races had been reversed.

Unfortunately, nuance is something that many are unable to deal with, preferring to see things in simple black and white terms - with their prejudices for/against particular sides on public display.

In the case of this incident, neither side was in the "right", but due to the way the media presented it, many fixate on "race" to the exclusion of all other factors and use this sole component of the incident to "justify" the conclusions they come to regarding it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 11:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Except he wasn't yelling or intimidating. She even admitted that in writing.

Did you actually listen to the interview? She said he started the encounter by yelling at her, and only became more passive once the camera was on, and "I'm going to do something that you're not going to like", being said to a woman alone in a park from a man is threatening regardless of the tone it's said in. Also, what kind of weirdo carries around dog treats to lure people's dogs to him, knowing full well that it freaks out the owners, because he so frequently gets into this kind of confrontation? In the legal world, they call that kind of thing "evidence of intent".

That's her account. She's trying to maximise sympathy to get money out of her employer.

Given others had put forward similar descriptions of interactions with him that matched hers, unprompted, and prior to any charges being laid (or even investigation being announced), her account of what happened would seem credible...

cyberdad wrote:
The video corroborates Christian Cooper's account that he was polite and not intimidating. That's all that legally matters. Amy Cooper is on the record that she lied. You think a judge will fall her "damsel in distress" weeping for a second time? I doubt it.

The video only "corroborates" a small portion of the interaction - courts consider what occurred over the entire incident, and will include details about previous similar incidents involving either of the participants as well, not take a simplistic "we have a video of part of what occurred, and that is all we care about" approach.

As far as this case goes, a large portion relies on her former employer's claims of having conducted an investigation and the implication of racism they made against her - If this didn't occur (or was done without providing the "target" of the investigation to put forward their account of the incident), then Ms Cooper's case will be reasonably strong.

The filing for this case includes quite a lot of interesting information which will be considered by the judge, not simply a short video produced by a single participant in an incident which is favourable to themself. To assert that only this video would be considerd by a judge (or that this is all that "legally matters") demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the legal system...

Personally, I'm interested in seeing how this case goes - the complaint lodged by\on behalf of Ms Cooper is persuasive, but it's hard to determine how likely she is to prevail without being able to see what her former employer presents in their defence (there are 2 sides to a story, after all, and they may have exculpatory evidence to present which counters certain of the claims in the case) as well as what comes out through discovery should it not be settled prior to this. After all, the video was very "persuasive" to some, yet the experienced prosecutors were unable to find evidence to support common assertions made regarding the interaction, when all the evidence regarding the incident (beyond the video) was considered as a whole...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 6:20 pm

Regardless of how her case goes, I hope it costs her former employer a significant amount of time, money, and general hassle, to discourage these rushes to judgment over internet drama.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 7:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Regardless of how her case goes, I hope it costs her former employer a significant amount of time, money, and general hassle, to discourage these rushes to judgment over internet drama.

Had the internet and mobile telephones been around in the 1950's, and the races of those involved reversed, I can imagine that similar reactions would have likely played out (though with more severe outcomes for the dogwalker) in the southern states of the U.S.A.

It would be interesting to know how many of those passing judgement here have in the past weaponised race against others, or, worse, used derogatory racial terms about people of a different race, yet feel "justified" in their moral stance on this case...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 7:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kmele Foster doesn't consider himself black and is not at all shy about it or his other politics that put him at odds with the "African American community", it's kind of his whole thing (full disclosure; I've spoken with the man personally). Weiss also isn't right wing, she's a heterodox liberal, with most of the heresy coming from her Jewish identity and support of Israel, which again, anyone who'd done even cursory research would know. Both of them were on the record as being skeptical of the original narrative from the start, mostly due to the fact that they actually paid attention to the whole incident, including Christian Coopers' admission of threatening behavior:

https://shows.acast.com/wethefifth/epis ... the-ramble

(No, I'm not back)

Some people have a reputation for not doing their research, and as a consequence, have little credibility.
This is not an opinion.
It is an observation. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
She was panicking.
She said stupid things.

You could even argue that in a moment of panic at being confronted by a large yelling man while alone in a park, she seized on a racist weapon in the form of the threat with the police, and that could be defended. However, you're dealing with ignorant sh***ibs here, so off with her head and forget the nuance, even as these very people would likely be crucifying the man if the races had been reversed.

I haven't seen anything/k to suggest the man was "yelling".
He made a sinister threat in the form of "You won't like what I am going to do", however.

The problem with some people, here, is that they are being hyperpartisan and have little respect for objectivity and the Truth.
I have no time for that.
I am the "Oracle of Truth" after all. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Except he wasn't yelling or intimidating. She even admitted that in writing.

Did you actually listen to the interview? She said he started the encounter by yelling at her, and only became more passive once the camera was on, and "I'm going to do something that you're not going to like", being said to a woman alone in a park from a man is threatening regardless of the tone it's said in. Also, what kind of weirdo carries around dog treats to lure people's dogs to him, knowing full well that it freaks out the owners, because he so frequently gets into this kind of confrontation? In the legal world, they call that kind of thing "evidence of intent".

This is the first time I have heard about him yelling.
I am on the fence on this one.

Yes, the threat was sinister, and why he isn't being lambasted for this is a sign of left-wing cyclopianism.
I really have to wonder why it is so hard for some people to acknowledge there was fault on both sides.
Not doing so destroys their credibility.
Perhaps "objectivity" is a concept they haven't fully comprehended yet. :mrgreen:

As a dog owner who luvs his kids, some stranger, and in this case, an aggressive, threatening stranger offering treats would freak me out.
People do leave bait around.

I have been threatened with having my kids poisoned, in the past, so I have zero tolerance for something like this.
The guy acted like a moron, no offence to the morons out there. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
She was panicking.
She said stupid things.

He made a sinister threat in the form of "You won't like what I am going to do", however.

I'd agree, there's nothing to confirm one way or another whether he was "Yelling", but there is evidence that he had approached other dog walkers in a particular way, which suggests that it is probable:
Quote:
My friend tells me about a month ago as we’re approaching the Ramble with our dogs off-leash, “a few
days ago there was a dude in their screaming a people to leash their dog. I’m glad that other owner was
with me because he’s a really buff dude waving his helmet.”
<...>
Well, a few days later we’re in there and Christian (had no idea his name or that this was the same guy
my friend mentioned to me days ago) comes yelling from about 10 yards away “YOU NEED TO LEASH
YOUR DOG!! ! THEY CAN’T BE OFF-LEASH IN HERE.” We both take a few steps back and my friend ask him
if he works for the park and he says no. So we say “sounds good, have a good one.” And when we turn
our back he starts to try and make these noises to call our dogs to him.

I yelled, “don’t try and call my dog to you!” He then says, “if you’re gonna do what you want, them I’m
not gonna do what I want, but you’re not gonna like it.”
<...>
My two fellow dog owners have had similar situations with this man, but don’t feel comfortable coming
forward because they’re white. They think they’ll be seen as some “Karen” or whatever.

Source: Exhibit "A" (page 26) of https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Amy-Cooper-v.-Franklin-Templeton-Complaint.pdf

Given this pattern of reported behaviour, it is more likely than not that he did approach her in a threatening manner (whether "Yelling", or simply in an aggresive tone), rather than the "meek" persona presented in his video of the later portion of the interaction.

As a side note, it has been interesting to see how many people seem to believe it is perfectly acceptable for a male, in a secluded area, to tell a female that they "will do what I want to do and you're not going to like it", and that the female should be prepared to accept whatever may follow, rather than seeking help.

The incident does put me in mind of the "racist baby" video - so many people choose to judge an event on a small portion at the end, rather than being curious as to (or dismissive of) what led up to this.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:19 pm

Brictoria wrote:
As a side note, it has been interesting to see how many people seem to believe it is perfectly acceptable for a male, in a secluded area, to tell a female that they "will do what I want to do and you're not going to like it", and that the female should be prepared to accept whatever may follow, rather than seeking help.

I get the distinct impression that without the racial angle, this could just as easily have been a #MeToo incident, with Amy Cooper as the victim and Christian Cooper as the villain.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:30 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
She was panicking.
She said stupid things.

I'd agree, there's nothing to confirm one way or another whether he was "Yelling", but there is evidence that he had approached other dog walkers in a particular way, which suggests that it is probable:
Quote:
My friend tells me about a month ago as we’re approaching the Ramble with our dogs off-leash, “a few
days ago there was a dude in their screaming a people to leash their dog. I’m glad that other owner was
with me because he’s a really buff dude waving his helmet.”
<...>
Well, a few days later we’re in there and Christian (had no idea his name or that this was the same guy
my friend mentioned to me days ago) comes yelling from about 10 yards away “YOU NEED TO LEASH
YOUR DOG!! ! THEY CAN’T BE OFF-LEASH IN HERE.” We both take a few steps back and my friend ask him
if he works for the park and he says no. So we say “sounds good, have a good one.” And when we turn
our back he starts to try and make these noises to call our dogs to him.

I yelled, “don’t try and call my dog to you!” He then says, “if you’re gonna do what you want, them I’m
not gonna do what I want, but you’re not gonna like it.”
<...>
My two fellow dog owners have had similar situations with this man, but don’t feel comfortable coming
forward because they’re white. They think they’ll be seen as some “Karen” or whatever.

Source: Exhibit "A" (page 26) of https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Amy-Cooper-v.-Franklin-Templeton-Complaint.pdf

Given this pattern of reported behaviour, it is more likely than not that he did approach her in a threatening manner (whether "Yelling", or simply in an aggresive tone), rather than the "meek" persona presented in his video of the later portion of the interaction.

The incident does put me in mind of the "racist baby" video - so many people choose to judge an event on a small portion at the end, rather than being curious as to (or dismissive of) what led up to this.

Exquisite irony.

That catchup, whatever, keeps on deleting what is written.
I can be bothered re-writing my argument.
Trust me, was insightful and very intelligent. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I get the distinct impression that without the racial angle, this could just as easily have been a #MeToo incident, with Amy Cooper as the victim and Christian Cooper as the villain.

Or, as suggested elsewhere, had Ms Cooper been the birdwatcher and Mr Cooper the dogwalker (all other factors being the same), Ms Cooper would still likely be considered at "fault" in the interaction.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Most people are more interested in virtue signally than acknowledging an objective Truth.
Rather embarrassing. 8O
Same old same old.
"Nothing to see, people, move along."

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:36 pm

Off Topic
Pepe wrote:

I've found of late that the Captcha's have been more aggressive (hungry?) than usual, but an additional "back" (or "forward", then "back") seems to result in them regurgitating what had been typed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Or, as suggested elsewhere, had Ms Cooper been the birdwatcher and Mr Cooper the dogwalker (all other factors being the same), Ms Cooper would still likely be considered at "fault" in the interaction.

You would have to be an Olympic spin doctor to concoct a lone woman intimidating a fit larger male story, however.
Then again, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Humanity.
What a pathetic beast. :eew:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Off Topic
Pepe wrote:

I've found of late that the Captcha's have been more aggressive (hungry?) than usual, but an additional "back" (or "forward", then "back") seems to result in them regurgitating what had been typed.

I'll try that next time. :thumright:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:01 pm

In what world is Christian Cooper a fit larger male?

He's a small-framed gentleman who's old enough to be Amy Cooper's father, and she's middle-aged.

But at no point did he ever say anything that could be construed as what Amy Cooper claimed. If she felt he was enough of a threat that she needed to call the cops, that's fine but she didn't need to say he was threatening her life. There's a man harassing me and my dog in the Ramble wouldn't have created the same response as there's an African-American man threatening my life and it wouldn't have sounded like she purposefully lied in order to use the threat of a violent police encounter as a weapon.

He probably shouldn't have been trying to enforce the bylaws even though it harms his hobby of bird-watching. He's been the head of ornithological societies and social advocacy groups, that might be relevant to why he was acting rather Karenesque on that matter.

If someone pulls out their phone and starts recording they're not likely to be a physical threat even if they might have been just a moment ago; it shows they're adopting a non-physical approach to the confrontation.

It's when someone's friend starts recording a physical confrontation you need to worry. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う