Trump booed after urging crowd to take vaccine

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:08 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
What makes me sad is he tried to do something positive and in the moment handled the negative feedback well, but will probably never make such a statement again. The downplay of the virus has gotten too far down the road for him to be able to pull his stans back.

He's actually doing kind of a straddle at the moment, "vaccines are great, but it's a free country" in essence:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-to ... -freedoms/

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't totally back off, I generally share the sentiment that he's completely crowd driven.

I'll take it. Better than nothing.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:14 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I have a feeling the right wing news played up the small segment much more than it warranted. It wouldn't be the first time right-leaning news tried to pretend a fringe left element was more popular with the left than it is.

So. Close. :D

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:16 pm

I'm going to drop this here largely because of who published it, I was pretty shocked to see it there:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lefties-p ... skepticism

Quote:
n Dec. 31, 2019, the first case of the coronavirus was recorded, a global pandemic was en route and emerging biotechnology would be our salvation—so long as we embraced it.

The following day, anti-biotechnology activists saw their biggest American legislative win go into effect: federal labeling for genetically modified organisms, or GMOs.

Those rules, pushed forward by political progressives, were supposedly the answer to health concerns stoked by a health disinformation campaign, amplified by the media and seized upon by opportunistic lawmakers pandering to populist fears about “frankenfoods” in the name of “freedom of choice.” Sound familiar?

Weeks later, Moderna had developed a coronavirus vaccine prototype via a new method: mRNA (the “m” stands for “messenger”), a previously untried approach. Trials began in February, the same month that Oxford announced they, too, had a vaccine in the works with AstraZeneca, with that one using a genetically modified virus.

Where emerging biotechnologies have often been treated as harbingers of a looming dystopia, these radical new scientific innovations now looked like humanity’s best hopes of reaching a better tomorrow—the popular forces that stoked fears of biotechnology would now have to assuage them. Biotechnophobia would quickly become politically incorrect, leading to a swift change in tone by some.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 8:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm going to drop this here largely because of who published it, I was pretty shocked to see it there:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lefties-p ... skepticism

Quote:
n Dec. 31, 2019, the first case of the coronavirus was recorded, a global pandemic was en route and emerging biotechnology would be our salvation—so long as we embraced it.

The following day, anti-biotechnology activists saw their biggest American legislative win go into effect: federal labeling for genetically modified organisms, or GMOs.

Those rules, pushed forward by political progressives, were supposedly the answer to health concerns stoked by a health disinformation campaign, amplified by the media and seized upon by opportunistic lawmakers pandering to populist fears about “frankenfoods” in the name of “freedom of choice.” Sound familiar?

Weeks later, Moderna had developed a coronavirus vaccine prototype via a new method: mRNA (the “m” stands for “messenger”), a previously untried approach. Trials began in February, the same month that Oxford announced they, too, had a vaccine in the works with AstraZeneca, with that one using a genetically modified virus.

Where emerging biotechnologies have often been treated as harbingers of a looming dystopia, these radical new scientific innovations now looked like humanity’s best hopes of reaching a better tomorrow—the popular forces that stoked fears of biotechnology would now have to assuage them. Biotechnophobia would quickly become politically incorrect, leading to a swift change in tone by some.

At the risk of triggering a different debate I have no desire to engage in, sometimes people overplay an issue because it gives them something actionable to put their energy into and a "cause" to help them feel unified. I feel like the Republicans are playing with quite a few of those right now (like CRT), but I've also tended to feel that parts of the GMO concerns are similar. Some GMOs logically seem worthy of concern, some don't; they aren't all the same, yet they tend to be treated the same politically. At least that's how it seems to me given the limited investment I've given to the question (I do try to buy organic for certain items as a way to avoid food modified to withstand weed and bug killer). So ... I do think the tension the article mentions is real. It may well force some people to have to parse and stretch their understanding of certain issues, for better or for worse. Still, its going to sit on a scale for people: fear of catching or spreading a deadly and/or debilitating disease, or fear of frankenscience.

Am I correct to understand the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines more as gene programming than insertion of trans-genetic traits? I believe its fairly distinct science from what Monsanto does with RoundUp, but I'm sitting on incomplete memories here.

Weird side note: if I had completed college with the intentions I had my senior year of high school, I well may have ended up a chemist at a place like Monsanto. Wonder how that would have changed my thoughts and positions?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 10:14 pm

This article may also help explain some of the hesitancy as well:

Quote:
Why Don’t They Believe Us?
You’re struggling to understand where all this vaccine hesitancy comes from. Let me help you.

Imagine you’re a normal person. The year is 2016. Rightly or wrongly, you believe most of what you see in the media. You believe polls are broadly reflective of public opinion. You believe doctors and scientists are trustworthy and independent. You’re a decent, reasonable person who follows the rules and trusts the authorities.

<...Big SNIP of background explanations...>

It is at this point that vaccines become the main focus of government policy and media commentary.

The same people who told you Brexit would never happen, that Trump would never win, that when he did win it was because of Russian collusion but also because of racism, that you must follow lockdowns while they don’t, that masks don’t work, that masks do work, that social justice protests during pandemic lockdowns are a form of “health intervention,” that ransacking African American communities in the name of fighting racism is a “mostly peaceful” form of protest, that poor and underserved children locked out of shuttered schools are “still learning,” that Jussie Smollett was a victim of a hate crime, that men are toxic, that there is an infinite number of genders, that COVID couldn’t have come from a lab until maybe it did, that closing borders is racist until maybe it isn’t, that you shouldn’t take Trump’s vaccine, that you must take the vaccine developed during the Trump administration, that Andrew Cuomo is a great leader, that Andrew Cuomo is a granny killer, that the number of COVID deaths is one thing and then another … are the same people telling you now that the vaccine is safe, that you must take it, and that if you don’t, you will be a second-class citizen.

Understand vaccine hesitancy now?

Source: https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/vaccines-konstantin-kisin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:46 am

^ I lost brain cells reading that. :roll:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:57 am

Don't forget: Trump actually had COVID, and was hospitalized for it.

Usually, people who have had COVID and survived it sing a different tune.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 8:48 am

"Trump booed after urging crowd to take vaccine" reminds me of when Dr. Frankenstein lost control of his monster.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Aug 2021, 9:26 am

I don't think the crowd was booing Trump. They were booing vaccines in general. I think a lot of people wish they were booing Trump, but they weren't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 9:28 am

neilinmich wrote:
I don't think the crowd was booing Trump. They were booing vaccines in general. I think a lot of people wish they were booing Trump, but they weren't.
Ahh ... another new member defending Trump.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

They were booing Trump because they expected him to be a dickhead anti-vaxxer. It was an expression of disappointment---especially since Trump, otherwise, exemplifies their value system.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Aug 2021, 9:58 am

Fnord wrote:
neilinmich wrote:
Ahh ... another new member defending Trump.

Oh no! I'm not defending Trump. I'm one of those who wish they WERE booing HIM. But I just think that if those people are of a mind to go to the rally in the first place then they wouldn't think poorly of Trump for ANYTHING he said. I say they were thinking "Trump good, Vaccines bad".

I would never think Trump was good.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 10:35 am

Oh no, did Trump betray his supporters? Oh shame on him. :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 12:00 pm

neilinmich wrote:
[...] I would never think Trump was good.
That is a relief.

Welcome Aboard!  (Belatedly)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 3:16 pm

It aint easy being a rabble rouser.

What can you do if you change your mind about something? Like you suddenly come to your senses and realize that its sane to take vaccines?

The rabble that you roused cant just turn on a dime with you.

Kinda like turning around and the telling the lynch mob behind you... "meh...lets just all chill instead of hanging the guy". Youll end up swinging from the same tree branch as the other guy! :lol:

When you stop in your tracks you're just gonna get run over by your own rabble.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 3:54 pm

Realistically, Trump has always been pro-vaccine. He was counting on it as a way to avoid more shut downs that could hurt his economic numbers. But he also didn’t want people acting cautiously and staying home pre-vaccine, once his patience for the effort to flatten the curve wore off, so he downplayed the threats from the virus. Where he may have failed to read the room was in understanding how B would affect A, and that is the momentum he now gets bit by.