Mini Skirt With Auschwitz Images Pulled From E-Commerce site

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:04 pm

Fortune

Quote:
An Australian company this week removed a mini skirt, tote bag, and throw pillow decorated with Holocaust images from its e-commerce site after the Auschwitz Memorial tweeted the merchandise was “disturbing and disrespectful.”

While Jewish organizations praised the platform for its action and apology, they expressed concern the incident reflects a wider lack of awareness about the Holocaust.

“This insensitive and disrespectful display is just the latest in what has become a pervasive trend among certain vendors to flippantly offer up offensive items without pausing to consider the dangerous ramifications of turning symbols of human evil and human tragedy into fashion,” World Jewish Conference CEO and executive vice president Robert Singer told Fortune.

The Redbubble incident is reminiscent of three separate offenses in recent years by global fashion retailers.

“In 2014, Zara sold striped t-shirts bearing the Star of David, an obvious replicate of the striped pajamas worn by concentration camp inmates and the Jewish stars forced on Jews in the ghetto,” said Singer, expressing disbelief the company would do this since, “Just two years before, in 2012, Urban Outfitters sold a similar shirt, to the disgust of the Jewish community.”

Singer continued: “In 2017, the Prada-owned Miu Miu company sold a similar item, containing a yellow patch, removing it from its website only after representatives of the WJC personally called to express its discomfort and disgust.”

“Most e-tailers are not resourced to provide ongoing, active monitoring of all content available on the site,” Greg Portell, a lead global partner at A.T. Kearney’s consumer and retail practice, told Fortune. “Most aren’t curated like a traditional retail environment. Rather, they operate as communities with a spirit of open access. So this issue will continue to challenge social and commerce sites.”

We do not pre-screen every image that is uploaded to the site, as there are tens of thousands of images uploaded daily,” a spokesperson said, noting the company has a team, as well as third-party technology, which scours the site to identify and remove content and creators that violate its guidelines.

“While our team works tirelessly on this review,” the spokesperson said, “considering the sheer volume of designs that are submitted, we greatly appreciate our community, or others, bringing any problematic works to our attention if something is found that has not yet been removed.”

In fact, shortly after Redbubble tweeted Tuesday it had removed the products emblazoned with death camp photographs, the Auschwitz Memorial tweeted it found another shirt on the site, featuring a drawing of a character named “Dr. Holocaust.”

This item was removed as well, and the Auschwitz Memorial thanked the e-tailer for its message and actions.

A 2018 study conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany and Schoen Consulting found two-thirds of millennials are unaware of Auschwitz.

Citing the rise of “Nazi chic” aesthetics around the world—from Nazi themed bars and cafes, to people dressing up in SS uniforms for parades—Rabbi Cooper said, “This may seem like a fleeting incident, but it isn’t.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 8:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fortune
Quote:
An Australian company this week removed a mini skirt, tote bag, and throw pillow decorated with Holocaust images from its e-commerce site after the Auschwitz Memorial tweeted the merchandise was “disturbing and disrespectful.”

While Jewish organizations praised the platform for its action and apology, they expressed concern the incident reflects a wider lack of awareness about the Holocaust.

“This insensitive and disrespectful display is just the latest in what has become a pervasive trend among certain vendors to flippantly offer up offensive items without pausing to consider the dangerous ramifications of turning symbols of human evil and human tragedy into fashion,” World Jewish Conference CEO and executive vice president Robert Singer told Fortune.

The Redbubble incident is reminiscent of three separate offenses in recent years by global fashion retailers.

“In 2014, Zara sold striped t-shirts bearing the Star of David, an obvious replicate of the striped pajamas worn by concentration camp inmates and the Jewish stars forced on Jews in the ghetto,” said Singer, expressing disbelief the company would do this since, “Just two years before, in 2012, Urban Outfitters sold a similar shirt, to the disgust of the Jewish community.”

Singer continued: “In 2017, the Prada-owned Miu Miu company sold a similar item, containing a yellow patch, removing it from its website only after representatives of the WJC personally called to express its discomfort and disgust.”

“Most e-tailers are not resourced to provide ongoing, active monitoring of all content available on the site,” Greg Portell, a lead global partner at A.T. Kearney’s consumer and retail practice, told Fortune. “Most aren’t curated like a traditional retail environment. Rather, they operate as communities with a spirit of open access. So this issue will continue to challenge social and commerce sites.”

We do not pre-screen every image that is uploaded to the site, as there are tens of thousands of images uploaded daily,” a spokesperson said, noting the company has a team, as well as third-party technology, which scours the site to identify and remove content and creators that violate its guidelines.

“While our team works tirelessly on this review,” the spokesperson said, “considering the sheer volume of designs that are submitted, we greatly appreciate our community, or others, bringing any problematic works to our attention if something is found that has not yet been removed.”

In fact, shortly after Redbubble tweeted Tuesday it had removed the products emblazoned with death camp photographs, the Auschwitz Memorial tweeted it found another shirt on the site, featuring a drawing of a character named “Dr. Holocaust.”

This item was removed as well, and the Auschwitz Memorial thanked the e-tailer for its message and actions.

A 2018 study conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany and Schoen Consulting found two-thirds of millennials are unaware of Auschwitz.

Citing the rise of “Nazi chic” aesthetics around the world—from Nazi themed bars and cafes, to people dressing up in SS uniforms for parades—Rabbi Cooper said, “This may seem like a fleeting incident, but it isn’t.”

These actions just prove the axiom, “Those who fail to study history, are doomed to repeat it.” Too bad the veterans from WWII, Korea, and ‘Nam are dying off. I did know a few WWII vets (including my maternal grandfather, who was plastered every time I saw him) that flat out refused to talk about what kind of action they saw at that point in time. :cry:

Unfortunately, no one gives a tinker’s damn about the horrors of the Holocaust, except for the obscene amount of money that can be made on another culture’s horror story.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 10:38 pm

The corporate types who came up with the idea of capitalizing on the Holocaust makes us Aspies look social adept.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:37 pm

That might be the most bizarre news story title I've ever read.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 1:42 am

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 1:43 am

This is a little weird ...

"Dr. Holocaust wants you to get a beard".

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 2:03 am

Quote:
Citing the rise of “Nazi chic” aesthetics around the world—from Nazi themed bars and cafes, to people dressing up in SS uniforms for parades...

What.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 2:42 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

To be perfectly frank, most males wouldn't notice the design if they happen to see this dress....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 4:54 am

Gosh.

Reminds of a tidbit I read in the margins of the National Lampoon years ago. A real thing.

Some fashion designer had models wear dark shadows around their eyes, and wear garments with wide vertical black and white strips "inspired" by the prisoners of the death camps. The project was banned from the fashion show runway, but even so. Who would even dream up such an idea?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 5:17 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Gosh.

Reminds of a tidbit I read in the margins of the National Lampoon years ago. A real thing.

Some fashion designer had models wear dark shadows around their eyes, and wear garments with wide vertical black and white strips "inspired" by the prisoners of the death camps. The project was banned from the fashion show runway, but even so. Who would even dream up such an idea?

That's what I was also asking myself: who would want to wear that?!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 11:46 pm

I guarantee nobody will identify this as Auschwitz

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 12:35 am

I never would have. Just would have looked like a picture of a building. Of course since I know what I'm looking at it's quite disturbing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 12:20 am

That mini skirt is in very bad taste. I'm glad it was removed. The fashion designer who came up with that idea should be removed from the fashion industry.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 5:45 pm

Was that the work of some bot scrapung the internet for images?

Like the adult diaper image on an iphone case.
Or the heroin on a spoon image.

These things don't actually exist until someone orders it, it doesn't cost anything to put it on the website, and it's basically the current state of AI generated products: random royalty free images on any product, to be produced on demand.

I mean... this isn't even some neo nazi thing, or some tasteless design to attract attention, .... it's just so random

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 7:18 pm

Lets be frank. There is a market for pretty much anything your mind can come up with.

It really isn't surprising at all....