Canada’s trump country is covid-screwed

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 11:05 am

Same for regional differences within Provinces.

IIRC, Vancouver now has the highest vaxx rate in the country - cases and deaths in the city are fairly low. There are still more than we’d like in the Fraser Health region where I live - and I believe it’s a cultural thing.. a lot of people from certain cultures that have refused to stop having large gatherings, especially $ix figure 3 day wedding parties that were planned a year or two in advance.

Then there’s the Northern Health region of BC where most of our cases are. A bit sparsely populated in comparison, and I think covid wasn’t really there in the beginning, + likely a bunch of big city science skeptics/vaccine hesitancy = that’s who’s getting sick now and jamming up ICU’s. Then and the invincible young people of Kelowna - probably a bunch of young fit wakeboarders who think only the senior citizens are at risk, so they’re unvaxxed and filling up hospitals. Etc.

So crazy how politicized all of this has become. That depending on political leanings and news sources you’re more or less likely to get vaxxed - significantly so. And then the conspiracy theory crap. So many otherwise intelligent people seeking out bs misinformation for confirmation bias on their decision not to get vaxxed. Some extremely odd justifications going on. It’s sad, really. Ideally people would get their info from Medical Doctors and Public Health Officials, not politicians and alternative news media talking heads or internet conspiracy theorists making money from click bait and boner pills.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Then there’s the Northern Health region of BC where most of our cases are. A bit sparsely populated in comparison, and I think covid wasn’t really there in the beginning, + likely a bunch of big city science skeptics/vaccine hesitancy = that’s who’s getting sick now and jamming up ICU’s.

Having Alaska currently undergoing the worst outbreak in the U.S. as a neighbor probably is a factor.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 3:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Then there’s the Northern Health region of BC where most of our cases are. A bit sparsely populated in comparison, and I think covid wasn’t really there in the beginning, + likely a bunch of big city science skeptics/vaccine hesitancy = that’s who’s getting sick now and jamming up ICU’s.

Having Alaska currently undergoing the worst outbreak in the U.S. as a neighbor probably is a factor.

Maybe culturally, but not in terms of border crossings. Only fully vaccinated Americans are allowed to cross the Canadian border from Alaska for essential business only - meaning that 1/2 or so of the population in Alaska isn't admissible to Canada and is denied entry even if they have essential business to conduct. I know because I know someone currently posted on the Norther Border who's job it is to approve/deny entry to Alaskans.

It's Possible that fully vaxxed Alaskans are bringing Covid into Canada, but not that probable.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Northern Health region of BC is more affected by Northern Alberta than the Alaskan Panhandle - just by population density. IF there's external people influencing it at all - could just be our own home grown Northern British Columbian antivaxxers.