Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:34 pm

Investigators say they've finally identified the Zodiac Killer

Quote:
A team of cold case investigators say they have finally identified the Zodiac Killer, one of America's most prolific serial murderers who terrorized San Francisco in the late 1960s.

Fox News reported, The Case Breakers, a team of more than 40 detectives, journalists and military intelligence officers, believes the killer is responsible for a murder hundreds of miles away that was never linked to him previously.

The Zodiac Killer has been connected to five murders in 1968 and 1969 in the San Francisco area. The Zodiac taunted authorities with complex riddles and codes in letters sent to newspapers and police. The murders spawned books, movies and documentaries. Amateur and professional detectives have pored over the case to try to identify the killer.

The Case Breakers say they have identified the Zodiac Killer as Gary Francis Poste, who passed away in 2018.

According to Fox News, the team's years of digging uncovered new forensic evidence and photos from Poste's darkroom. Including an image that features scars on the forehead of Poste that match scars on a sketch of the Zodiac, the team said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm

Being a Fox News story, one can only hope it is true.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm

Did they give any hints as to what this forensics evidence was? It sounds like an extremely flimsy circumstantial case without any hard evidence like DNA.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:44 pm

Nades wrote:
Did they give any hints as to what this forensics evidence was? It sounds like an extremely flimsy circumstantial case without any hard evidence like DNA.
You mean like DNA samples and such?  Does not look like it.  However, they allegedly found some strong circumstantial evidence in Poste's darkroom.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
You mean like DNA samples and such?  Does not look like it.  However, they allegedly found some strong circumstantial evidence in Poste's darkroom.

DNA samples seem to be the only way to truly crack this case now. To much time has passed for other evidence to be of much use. Paper trails have almost certainly been broken over the decades and memories have obviously weakened substantially.

It still appears to me to be nowhere near enough evidence. His name being some sort of key for encryption sounds interesting but they failed to elaborate on that. Reading between the lines this whole name as a key thing seems to be insignificant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:01 pm

Nades wrote:
... It still appears to me to be nowhere near enough evidence...
Well, it IS a Fox News story, after all...

Last edited by Fnord on 06 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
... It still appears to me to be nowhere near enough evidence...
Well, it IS a Fox News story, after all...

It reminds me of breakthrough battery technologies from complete nobodies that nobody ever hears about once a single article has been published. I imagine this lead will "vanish" and someone else will be named next year as the killer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm

Well, it turns out that UPI covered this story first, back on December 12, 2020.

LINK 

:lol: Fox must be having a slow news day!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Well, it turns out that UPI covered this story first, back on December 12, 2020.

LINK 

I noticed the cyphers were incredibly boring.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 2:43 pm

I suspect the evidence will get laid out in a book the investigators are busy writing and that they’ve only dropped teasers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 3:36 pm

Fnord wrote:

LINK 

How is that the same story?

In the UPI story says that they made a break through in breaking the Zodiac Killers secret code to finnally read more of his letters. But it doesnt say that they now know who the Zodiac killer was.

This Fox story is supposedly about a group who built upon that code breakthrough to finnally identify him. Or not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 3:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:

LINK 

How is that the same story?  In the UPI story says that they made a break through in breaking the Zodiac Killers secret code to finnally read more of his letters. But it doesnt say that they now know who the Zodiac killer was.  This Fox story is supposedly about a group who built upon that code breakthrough to finnally identify him.  Or not.
Ahh ... my bad.  This is one of those days when not even espresso can clear my mind.  Too many recent covid deaths.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 6:45 pm

Read Robert Graysmith's books about The Zodiac Killer that became the basis for David Fincher's film.

Graysmith (when he was a young cartoonist working for The San Francisco Times) became so fascinated with the murder spree that he did an amateur investigation of his own.

Before production began, David Fincher and some of the production team spent about two years
conducting their own investigation and research.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm

Now to bring him to justi... What, he's been dead since 2018? Never mind. :? :?