‘Brown Sugar’ not on current Rolling Stones setlist

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:31 pm

In 1960 it would have been completely harmless if it was sung by Ben E King.

But when Jim Reeves (a white man) sang it in the 1960s it sounded racist as everyone knew he was referring to the one white girl living in Spanish Harlem.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:14 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'd say the guy who's gotta sing it gets final veto on whether or not he still wants to sing it, regardless of the justification.

It's an enjoyable song, but if the singer no longer wishes to perform it that's a choice he's entitled to make. The song hasn't been banned, the band are just choosing to play other songs.

True, but is it really his choice when there's a loaded gun pointed at his head in the form of current political activism by a small but loud minority? Mick Jagger likely falls into that category of people like Rowling or Chappelle who can't be cancelled (and at his age, I can't imagine him really caring), my concern is for the young up and coming singer who might have a great song they hesitate to perform because of the risk of offending the wrong person and damaging their career. If the Stones had formed today, there's no question that many of their hit songs would not have seen airplay and they may never have found an audience, it's that chilling effect that worries me more than what an established musician chooses to pull out of their back catalogue.