03 Nov 2021, 1:15 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the GOP is doing its best to turn us into a one-party tyranny.

From where I sit, neither party is interested in the best for the individual. 8)

the democrats and ONLY the democrats have tried for generations to get us universal health care, while the GOPQ has done the opposite.

We have Medicare.
I have no idea if that is similar to what you mean by "Universal Health Care".
Our system works fine for me.
You guys should do the same, imo.

yours is a universal system, every australian citizen is a part and contributes via taxation. ours is not universal, not by a longshot. ours is a fragmented system with the lions' share of healthcare going to rich folk with Cadillac "full ride" plans where they pay not a cent, that is subsidized by obscenely high premiums and co-pays/penalties on the rest of us and only the most minimal health care in exchange, with many millions falling through the abyss-like cracks.

Apparently, Medicare is expensive to run, but it seems to work well in Australia and Kanada.
I think you need to put a whip to your Democratic representatives.
All out of excuses now that they are in government. 8)

Given it's a federal issue (not state, which is what the thread was discussing), and the Democrats control both houses and the executive branch, they shouldn't have any problem putting forward legislation to enable this - if it is something they truely believe in, and not merely words used to try and gain suport from the gullible with no intention of carrying through on it...

If they try and fail, at least they tried. If they talk but don't try - "actions speak louder than words"...

Agreed.
Unless I'm missing something, the ball is in the Democrat's court, now.
Less "lip service".
More aktion. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 1:20 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

From where I sit, neither party is interested in the best for the individual. 8)

the democrats and ONLY the democrats have tried for generations to get us universal health care, while the GOPQ has done the opposite.

We have Medicare.

yours is a universal system, every australian citizen is a part and contributes via taxation. ours is not universal, not by a longshot. ours is a fragmented system with the lions' share of healthcare going to rich folk with Cadillac "full ride" plans where they pay not a cent, that is subsidized by obscenely high premiums and co-pays/penalties on the rest of us and only the most minimal health care in exchange, with many millions falling through the abyss-like cracks.

Apparently, Medicare is expensive to run, but it seems to work well in Australia and Kanada.

Given it's a federal issue (not state, which is what the thread was discussing), and the Democrats control both houses and the executive branch, they shouldn't have any problem putting forward legislation to enable this - if it is something they truely believe in, and not merely words used to try and gain suport from the gullible with no intention of carrying through on it...

If they try and fail, at least they tried. If they talk but don't try - "actions speak louder than words"...

Currently, Biden is throwing his support behind the Affordable Care Act, which sadly does not cover everything like universal health care.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 1:34 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We have Medicare.

"we have met the enemy, and he is US." IOW too many frankly ignorant people who vote against their own interests in favor of the interests of the wealthy because they've bought the horatio alger koolaid that they will be rich also one day. or even worse, they vote against affordable health care for themselves because they're afraid "the undeserving" [POC and anybody else they hate] will get it also. cutting off their bloodyminded noses to spite their bloodyminded faces. THAT is why amuuuricans can't have the nice things that EVERY OTHER INDUSTRIALIZED NATION'S citizens expect as a birthright.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 1:57 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We have Medicare.

Agreed.
Less "lip service".
More aktion. 8)

Democrats are not united on what kind of universal healthcare coverage would suit us best.

Be aware that most Americans have a negative impression of the healthcare system in our neighboring country and do not want to replicate it. I think a lot of that is due to misinformation, but it remains the reality.

Democrats are not going to push through something it isn't clear most citizens want. That wouldn't be prudent.

I am glad you Aussies like your system, and many of us wish the USA would go in a similar direction, but the numbers just aren't there. You can't blame the "Democrats" for that; it's a whole host of factors. We expect our politicians to represent us, not force feed us.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:44 am

As for results in Virginia, I understand they follow a statistical pattern for the state, so may be less ideological than pundits and other foreign leaders will read it to be. Predictable by historic patterns or not, it also makes things more difficult for Democrats.

Nothing deep, just my observations.

Statistical patterns also suggest Democrats will lose congress in the midterms. Definitely now or never for keeping the promises made.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 4:05 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
As for results in Virginia, I understand they follow a statistical pattern for the state, so may be less ideological than pundits and other foreign leaders will read it to be. Predictable by historic patterns or not, it also makes things more difficult for Democrats.

Nothing deep, just my observations.

Statistical patterns also suggest Democrats will lose congress in the midterms. Definitely now or never for keeping the promises made.

Then again, that's business as usual for whichever party wins big in the previous election.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 4:39 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We have Medicare.

Agreed.
Less "lip service".
More aktion. 8)

Democrats are not united on what kind of universal healthcare coverage would suit us best.

Be aware that most Americans have a negative impression of the healthcare system in our neighboring country and do not want to replicate it. I think a lot of that is due to misinformation, but it remains the reality.

Democrats are not going to push through something it isn't clear most citizens want. That wouldn't be prudent.

I am glad you Aussies like your system, and many of us wish the USA would go in a similar direction, but the numbers just aren't there. You can't blame the "Democrats" for that; it's a whole host of factors. We expect our politicians to represent us, not force feed us.

So, you are saying you only have yourself to blame?
You get what you vote for. :shrug:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 4:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We have Medicare.

"we have met the enemy, and he is US." IOW too many frankly ignorant people who vote against their own interests in favor of the interests of the wealthy because they've bought the horatio alger koolaid that they will be rich also one day. or even worse, they vote against affordable health care for themselves because they're afraid "the undeserving" [POC and anybody else they hate] will get it also. cutting off their bloodyminded noses to spite their bloodyminded faces. THAT is why amuuuricans can't have the nice things that EVERY OTHER INDUSTRIALIZED NATION'S citizens expect as a birthright.

Well, at least you have stopped blaming only the Republicans. 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:40 am

It's official, Youngkin is governor.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/election-day-results-2021-virginia-governor-youngkin/

Eric Adams is NYC's new mayor.

https://www.reuters.com/business/cop/democrat-eric-adams-wins-new-york-city-mayoral-election-2021-11-03/

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:42 am

i hope the virginia legislature is able to keep a lid on things.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:52 am

Still no word on NJ. I heard it was too close to call, which surprised me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:52 am

all we can do is pray at this point.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2021, 8:00 am

… And people wonder why I refuse to vote?

Lookit, the fix is in, and it’s been that way since FDR. The kakocracy reigns supreme. That group will never go away. The two party system is a joke, since the kakocracy controls everything. The Dopeycrats and the Rethugicans are one and the same, corrupt to the core. As the saying goes, power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

As much as I hate to say it, Trumpty Dumpty should have completely overthrown the government. Maybe, we, the people would have woken up by that action. Unfortunately, we, the people are too f!cking stupid to recognize those actions.

Like Facebook changing their corporate name to Meta, the USA should change our name to Mahagonny, where the only thing that is illegal is being poor, with said punishment being immediate death. (Which can’t come fast enough to this country or to my person.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:06 am

i want us to be a country i can be proud of, not the kakistocracy we have got with ever-willing participants who just wanna get theirs. i so wish we were more like canada.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
i hope the virginia legislature is able to keep a lid on things.

I thought McAuliffe was going to win, based on his previous stint as governor, and that he's a Clinton-esque moderate.

If Youngkin governs as a moderate and not a hard-righter like Abbott or DeSatan, the people of VA should be ok.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 10:46 am

i have no reason to believe this crypto-trumpkin will govern in any fashion to the left of trumpy.