Page 5 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm

Pepe wrote:
Apparently, a major factor in the election result revolved around the rights of the parents.
The parents won. 8)

And what the parents were against was Critical Race Theory, a thing taught in law schools, not public schools to kids. Now, overly sensitive white parents who don't like white people being described as having done horrible things to non-whites, don't have to have their children learn the real history of slavery, or the Civil War, or segregation, or white terrorism. That was the real aim of this movement.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 4:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe they should be teaching "critical race theory" as the only possible solution to racism---that's for sure. Some of the precepts of it I really don't believe in.

I do believe they should be teaching history as objectively as possible. They should teach about Emmett Till, say. And what happened to blacks and other "minorities" (yes, and some whites, too) in the past.

One doesn't have to believe 100% in CRT to be a decent liberal, a progressive, or somebody who wants social justice. I want social justice. I want de facto equality under the law for all people, all genders, etc.

There's too much "one extreme to the other," and not enough moderation and objectivity.

I know somebody who is a feminist, a vegetarian, a climate-change advocate, the whole nine yards. Even SHE doesn't accept all the precepts of CRT. She thinks they go too far sometimes.

All CRT is, is a legal theory taught in law schools, that laws of the past had been racially conscious in stacking the deck against non-whites. It's never been taught in public schools to kids. What this is really about is how conservative whites don't want their children taught that white people had ever behaved badly toward non-white Americans.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 5:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

All CRT is, is a legal theory taught in law schools, that laws of the past had been racially conscious in stacking the deck against non-whites. It's never been taught in public schools to kids. What this is really about is how conservative whites don't want their children taught that white people had ever behaved badly toward non-white Americans.

You not only don't know what you're talking about, you're actively spreading misinformation; stop. You don't know what CRT is, you don't know where it is and is not being taught, and you really don't know what's in the minds of those opposing teaching racial essentialism to kids. This is literally just the cable news talking points, which happen to be the same as those of the Democratic party, which is honestly not unexpected coming from you, but it's still wrong and you should at least try to form your own opinion on something for once.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 6:08 pm

Quote:
United States President Joe Biden has been rocked after a surge in support for Republicans by voters in two recent gubernatorial elections in Virginia and New Jersey.

Republican candidate Glenn Youngkin ousted former Governor Terry McAuliffe at Tuesday’s vote for Virginia's governor with the Democrat conceding the election on Wednesday morning.

Mr Youngkin campaigned on a moderate platform - winning back those who supported Mr Biden at the presidential election last November.

In New Jersey's gubernatorial election the Democrat incumbent Phil Murphy only just scraped over the line to win back leadership ahead of his Republican competition Jack Ciattarelli.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/b ... rallPos=15

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 6:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Apparently, a major factor in the election result revolved around the rights of the parents.
The parents won. 8)

And what the parents were against was Critical Race Theory, a thing taught in law schools, not public schools to kids. Now, overly sensitive white parents who don't like white people being described as having done horrible things to non-whites, don't have to have their children learn the real history of slavery, or the Civil War, or segregation, or white terrorism. That was the real aim of this movement.

Based on the reports I have seen, the parents resented having their parental rights being subjugated.

We have had this discussion before.
Parents should be the ones who impart a moral system to their children, not academic activists, surely.

Do you have children?
If so, you will understand what I am saying. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 6:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe they should be teaching "critical race theory" as the only possible solution to racism---that's for sure. Some of the precepts of it I really don't believe in.

I do believe they should be teaching history as objectively as possible. They should teach about Emmett Till, say. And what happened to blacks and other "minorities" (yes, and some whites, too) in the past.

One doesn't have to believe 100% in CRT to be a decent liberal, a progressive, or somebody who wants social justice. I want social justice. I want de facto equality under the law for all people, all genders, etc.

There's too much "one extreme to the other," and not enough moderation and objectivity.

I know somebody who is a feminist, a vegetarian, a climate-change advocate, the whole nine yards. Even SHE doesn't accept all the precepts of CRT. She thinks they go too far sometimes.

I have seen at least one example where it was.

Also, teaching young children to feel guilty about what previous generations have done is a crime.
I have first-hand, personal experience of this. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 7:46 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You not only don't know what you're talking about, you're actively spreading misinformation; stop. You don't know what CRT is, you don't know where it is and is not being taught, and you really don't know what's in the minds of those opposing teaching racial essentialism to kids. This is literally just the cable news talking points, which happen to be the same as those of the Democratic party, which is honestly not unexpected coming from you, but it's still wrong and you should at least try to form your own opinion on something for once.

Even if any of what you're saying is true, it doesn't negate the fact that CRT is just a bogeyman used by the right to terrify their constituents into action, just as mixed race marriage, gay marriage, and Trans bathroom use had been used in the past. These are the exact same people who want BS taught in schools like that the Civil War had been fought over states rights, that slavery was a mutually beneficial relationship, and who want to completely ignore white terrorism and segregation, all so that their children won't learn something contradictory to what their parents told them about race and history. And yes, I do know what's in the heads of those parents, as people in such red states have been pushing that ahistorical crap for years now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 7:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I have seen at least one example where it was.

Also, teaching young children to feel guilty about what previous generations have done is a crime.
I have first-hand, personal experience of this. 8)

Nobody should be made to feel guilty about what they themselves are not responsible for. I just question how much of that is actually happening in America. I personally find it hard to believe that any child came home from school and asked: "Mommy, am I evil for being born white?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 7:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
The parents won. 8)

Based on the reports I have seen, the parents resented having their parental rights being subjugated.

Parents should be the ones who impart a moral system to their children, not academic activists, surely.

Do you have children?

Subjugated how? By being told that there had been white people in the past who had oppressed blacks and other non whites with both legal and illegal means? History isn't supposed to make you feel good, it's just supposed to truthfully tell you what had occurred, and why.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 8:18 pm

if they'd just come clean and admit to god and the rest of us that they don't like POC, say it out loud and proud, at least i could respect them for being truthful. but all this legalistic claptrap and philosophical flipflop is just so tiring, so old.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Democrats were ‘smashed’ in Virginia due to stance on education: Alan Jones
15 hours ago

Sky News host Alan Jones says the Democrats were “smashed” in the Virginia election because the former governor Terry McAuliffe argued parents shouldn’t be telling schools what they should teach.

“Now the Republicans went berserk with their election ads,” Mr Jones said.

“With coronavirus and home-schooling – and this was central to Virginia – parents gained an insight into what their kids were being taught.

“And a black lawyer representing the parents in Virginia said ‘Government education is exposing children to ideologies that are sometimes inconsistent with what the consumers … want their children to be exposed to’.

“I think this is going to be a big issue here.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/alan ... erallPos=2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if they'd just come clean and admit to god and the rest of us that they don't like POC, say it out loud and proud, at least i could respect them for being truthful. but all this legalistic claptrap and philosophical flipflop is just so tiring, so old.

I doubt you can substantiate your comment with a valid/rational argument. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Even if any of what you're saying is true, it doesn't negate the fact that CRT is just a bogeyman used by the right to terrify their constituents into action, just as mixed race marriage, gay marriage, and Trans bathroom use had been used in the past. These are the exact same people who want BS taught in schools like that the Civil War had been fought over states rights, that slavery was a mutually beneficial relationship, and who want to completely ignore white terrorism and segregation, all so that their children won't learn something contradictory to what their parents told them about race and history. And yes, I do know what's in the heads of those parents, as people in such red states have been pushing that ahistorical crap for years now.

Mr Binary man had made us another visit. :mrgreen:

Why do you consistently overlook how leftist extremists pervert the theory for their own personal agenda?
"Curious. " 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
The parents won. 8)

Do you have children?

Subjugated how? By being told that there had been white people in the past who had oppressed blacks and other non whites with both legal and illegal means? History isn't supposed to make you feel good, it's just supposed to truthfully tell you what had occurred, and why.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=401258&p=8898762#p8898762

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Mr Binary man had made us another visit. :mrgreen:

Why do you consistently overlook how leftist extremists pervert the theory for their own personal agenda?
"Curious. " 8)

What personal agenda might that be?
Is the right so pure as the driven snow as to not pervert anything?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm

What are the key differences between CRT and what people have traditionally been taught about historical race issues (slavery, segregation, et al)?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!