Verdict returned in Rittenhouse trial

Page 23 of 60 [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 60  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2021, 4:49 am

I guess that tells more about the online communities you frequent.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 4:57 am

magz wrote:
I guess that tells more about the online communities you frequent.

Leftist ones?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
magz wrote:
Race is a touchy topic in the US. Much more touchy than here in Europe.

Remind me, what do Europeans think about Gypsies?

In the UK, we have a very poor opinion of them. Everyone I know in work has had a bad experience with them. One guy was welding and they took his welding set by putting it on the back of a van. They just drove off with it and the tongs flew out of his hands in the middle of a weld.

Another guy was offered a TV after seeing a display TV in the back of a van. He bought one in a box, took it out and it had a huge crack through it. Obviously dropped.

They also kept raiding the local heavy industry's. Welding sets, grinders, steel, lifting equipment, they just break in through the fence and steal it. Once the hole was fixed they cut another and done the same. They're not even subtle about it.

Another huge case we had was where a police officer was called to a theft of a quad bike (no surprise). He ran after them and got his feet stuck in a the strop they were using to hook the bike to the car. The proceeded to drag him doe the road at speed for over a mile while finding it hysterically funny that his arms and face was being ripped off. He died a bloody pulp.

Another pensioner was burgled by a gypsy at knife point in the middle of the night and stabbed him in return, killing him. The local gypsy community thought this was terrible despite one of their own robbing him and his wife at knife point. They proceeded to hound him out of his home and intimidated the local community. Group intimidation is often their M.O.

I even had one knocking on my door a couple of months back asking to do my driveway which is another scam they often have.

Off topic, but that's what people think here. Ironically, being a gypsy here will likely result in an unfair trial by association alone (sort of like many want to do to Kyle because he's white). A gypsy typically has to prove to people they're honest, otherwise everyone assumes they're not (and rightly so)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:21 am

Dox47 wrote:
... quite a few of the laws you object to came as corrections to Democratic party positions, notably stand your ground and castle doctrine.

I don't recall specifically "objecting" to any laws, although I do think some could use some updating and/or refining. But it isn't my area, and I won't pretend it is. Just ... there are times the legal conclusion doesn't feel right.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 23 Nov 2021, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2021, 5:24 am

Nades wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
magz wrote:

In the UK, we have a very poor opinion of them. Everyone I know in work has had a bad experience with them. One guy was welding and they took his welding set by putting it on the back of a van. They just drove off with it and the tongs flew out of his hands in the middle of a weld.

Another guy was offered a TV after seeing a display TV in the back of a van. He bought one in a box, took it out and it had a huge crack through it. Obviously dropped.

They also kept raiding the local heavy industry's. Welding sets, grinders, steel, lifting equipment, they just break in through the fence and steal it. Once the hole was fixed they cut another and done the same. They're not even subtle about it.

Another huge case we had was where a police officer was called to a theft of a quad bike (no surprise). He ran after them and got his feet stuck in a the strop they were using to hook the bike to the car. The proceeded to drag him doe the road at speed for over a mile while finding it hysterically funny that his arms and face was being ripped off. He died a bloody pulp.

Another pensioner was burgled by a gypsy at knife point in the middle of the night and stabbed him in return, killing him. The local gypsy community thought this was terrible despite one of their own robbing him and his wife at knife point. They proceeded to hound him out of his home and intimidated the local community. Group intimidation is often their M.O.

I even had one knocking on my door a couple of months back asking to do my driveway which is another scam they often have.

Off topic, but that's what people think here. Ironically, being a gypsy here will likely result in an unfair trial by association alone (sort of like many want to do to Kyle because he's white). A gypsy typically has to prove to people they're honest, otherwise everyone assumes they're not (and rightly so)

Off topic but I expect you to be honest: what's the local opinion of Poles where you live? :mrgreen:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:55 am

magz wrote:
Off topic but I expect you to be honest: what's the local opinion of Poles where you live? :mrgreen:

I keep hearing that some Brits are not fond of your plumbers, something about undercutting the local rates IIRC.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:56 am

Now that Kyle has come out in support of BLM, can we expect the headlines to be changed to:

"BLM Supporter Guns Down 3 White Men"?

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2021, 5:56 am

Not to go off topic, but is it common for people in the UK call elders pensioners. I believe the US equivalent is retiree.

Personally I consider pensioner to be a rich old person.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2021, 6:04 am

OK, back to the topic: what can be done to discourage more teenagers to go to places of unrest with deadly weapons?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 6:15 am

magz wrote:
OK, back to the topic: what can be done to discourage more teenagers to go to places of unrest with deadly weapons?

Stop the unrest in those places, perhaps?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 6:20 am

magz wrote:

I'd vote for all the classics: keeping them busy, keeping them engaged in meaningful and fulfilling activities. It isn't surprising to realize Rittenhouse's excursion happened in the pandemic when the teens were stuck at home twiddling their thumbs with too much screen time and unusually high exposure to the families news media of choice (meaning their perception of events could have been less tempered by open discussion with others of different opinions than normal).

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 23 Nov 2021, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
Not to go off topic, but is it common for people in the UK call elders pensioners. I believe the US equivalent is retiree.

Personally I consider pensioner to be a rich old person.

Yes. Or OAPs (Old Age Pensioners).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2021, 6:30 am

Brictoria wrote:
Stop the unrest in those places, perhaps?

How?

I already expressed my opinion that the way police was handling BLM was counter-productive (or rather, they were a party in this conflict and de-escalation wasn't in their particular interest...) but maybe you can propose some solution that would be safe and effective?

BTW, I find it normal that young people are interested in public life and join various manifestations - but they should go there with signs and flags, not guns.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 8:24 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
magz wrote:

Usually mixed. As Dox said they undercut the local workforce but that's not always a bad thing. I swear by middle and Eastern European builders and depend on them. I was charged £500 by a British builder for repainting a 5 meter square patch of wall and £240 for replacing a 4 meter length of gutter which only took an hour tops. If you're a rip off merchant you'll probably be angry with Poles and eastern Europeans as they charge a days pay for an honest days work.

My Latvian builder and I are scheming on my next move. I was very happy with the work he done on my house after that tenant trashed it and he was regularly working until 9pm. He offered to tour houses with me giving me an immediate price for a full refurb before I even buy them. Best builder I know.

Some people dislike Poles and eastern Europeans because of anti-immigration sentiment and job competition but many others like them as they do important work here. Both Polish women and men are approachable and hard working. Builders, scientists, fruit pickers and even prostitutes, Poles and eastern Europeans do it better and cheaper...usually with a smile on their face too.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 2:27 pm

Brictoria wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I wonder what all those hero worshipping Rittenhouse think about him saying he supports BLM?

I'm glad he said it, personally. Of course, easier to say than to live, but ...

People are complicated. Efforts to pin them into boxes should always be contradicted with little nuggets like that.

Given there was footage of him going out and offering\providing medical assistance to the protesters, it doesn't look like he had any personal issues with them.

Quote:
“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”

― Mark Twain
:mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I have always seen it as poor marketing because they omitted the "Too".
BLMT... 8)

Yes, but ... BLMT would have it's own marketing problems. First, the fourth word affects mouthfeel. Second, speaking of mouthfeel, do you see the sandwich? As in BLT (do you have BLT's in AU?).

I *like* Bacon, lettuce, mayonnaise, and tomato.
What's your point? :scratch: :mrgreen: