Trump finally reveals his Anti-Semitism.

Page 5 of 11 [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 3:36 am

ironpony wrote:
QFT wrote:
Well, if someone were to say "Jews care about Israel too much" that would be antisemitic. Yet Trump saying "Jews don't care about Israel enough" is antisemitic as well. Despite the fact that this is the "opposite" statement to the above. So which is antisemitic then?

It sounds like making just about any observation involving Jews is automatically antisemitic. But here is logic. Every ethnic/religious group has SOME distinct properties. So, by default, it means Jews should have SOME distinct properties too -- or else they would no longer exist as a group. Yet naming any of those properties is antisemitic. Do you see how that is a bit ridiculous?

Putting terminology aside, many years ago I actually noticed the same things that Trump has, and was wondering about them too (and I am Jewish, although I am Messianic Jew meaning I believe in Jesus while still keeping Jewish law). The statistical fact revealed in demographic surveys is that 80% of Jews vote democrat. Yet the other statitical fact is that Republican party is a lot more pro-Israel than democratic party. And combination of these two facts is what makes it seem like Jews put Israel second to their other political preferences (whatever they might be). The fact that, in America, the evangelical Christians are more pro-Israel than Jews is also a statistical fact revealed on the surveys. And I believe those surveys were carried out by many different organizations, including Jewish ones. So I don't see how it is antisemitic. It is simple re-stating of the results of the surveys.

And like I said it actually contradicts antisemitic theme of Jews supposedly putting Jewish things (including Israel) ahead of everything else.

That's interesting. Why are evangelical Christians more pro-Israel compard to Jewish Americans?

A combination of two things:

1) Christians have the reasons why they, as Christians, support Israel

2) The reasons why Jews, as Jews, support Israel aren't as strong as they used to be

would logically lead to a possiblity of Christians being more pro-Israel than Jews.

Now lets fill in the blanks.

Reasons for 1:

a) The view of Jews as Gods chosen people

b) Belief that before Jesus returns Jews need to be in Israel

Reasons for 2:

a) Secularization of Jews

b) the fact that Jewish identity has many components and they are focusing on the components that don't involve Israel

Speaking of "2a", one thing to point out is that there is such a thing as "secular Jew" but there is no such thing as "secular Christian". Thats because being a Jew is an ethnic identity while being a Christian is a religious one. Now, even Jews as "ethnic identity" has reasons to support Israel: they want their ethnicity to have country of their own. But again there are other ways of reassessing their ethnic identity without the state of Israel. So if we are talking about "who has greater insentive to support Israel" it is logically possible that religious group (aka Christians) happens to be more motivated. I didn't say it has to be, just that its "logically possible". And America happens to be the one (and probably the only) country where such "logical possibility" materialized.

What I am trying to say is this. Jews and Christians are two distinct groups with strong motivation to support Israel. Some of their motivation is similar, but some of it is different. Due to the fact that they have enough differences in their motivation, it is possible for either one of them to be more pro-Israel than the other one. For example:

--- Jews can be more pro-Israel since their motivation is more personal

--- Christians can be more pro-Israel since they are the only ones who believe Israel is necessary for Jesus return

And this is just a random example of reasons on both sides.

Well it just happens that America is a country where Christians are more pro-Israel, while in the rest of the world its probably the opposite.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 3:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Jesus considered Himself a Jew….but Christians certainly don’t consider Him a Jew.

They believe He was the basis of a new religion which worships Him as the Son of God.

They do consider Him a Jew, they just have different understanding of Judaism. In particular they might not fully grasp that Jews don't view their upcoming Messiah to be God.

And then there are some who do grasp it, and they claim that Jews misinterpretted their own religion. So they make a distinction between "Biblical Judaism" and "Rabbinic Judaism", and they claim that Jesus was part of the former while most of the modern Jews are part of the latter.

In fact Christians are not unique in this regard. Some Lubavich rabbis today are awaiting the resurrection of Rabbi Schneerson. And that is despite the fact that they cite Maimonides that "if someone dies before fulfilling the Messianic prophecies they can not be a Messiah" whenever the topic of Jesus comes up. Granted, most of them don't think Schneerson was God, but even for that there are exceptions. I read about one Lubovich rabbi that was excommunicated for thinking that he was, in fact, God. And also I heard of another Jewish sect that decided that now that Schneerson is a messiah they can go ahead and break Jewish laws: in particular, instead of Yom Kippur being a fast day, they declared it to be feast day. Again, we are talking about just a small obscure group of Jews that was probably excommunicated. But I hope you see how, within this context, one can argue that Christianity is too one of the groups of Jews that just went weird.

Plus of course there is the fact that NOT ALL Christians break Jewish laws (for example Messianic and Sabbaterian groups still keep Jewish laws -- and in fact I am following those groups as opposed to mainstream Christians so I keep the Jewish laws too). So what is worse then: some weird people who believe in Schneerson as a Messiah who decided that "fast day is now feast day" or Messianics who believe that "fast day is still fast day" and in fact keep it more diligently than a lot of Jews. Many mainstream Jews today are secular and happily eat pork, which most Messianics do not. Yet secular Jews, who eat pork, are welcome to Israel while Messianics (who don't eat pork) aren't.

Likewise, NOT ALL Christians believe Jesus is God either. For example Jehovah Wittnesses and Christadelphians don't. So how is a Christian who believes Jesus is Messiah but not God any worse than Lubovich Jew who believes that Schneerson is the Messiah? If you say the Christian is worse for not keeping Jewish law, well let me point to the fact that some secular Jews don't keep Jewish law either. So if we take a secular Jew, who doesn't keep Jewish law, and happens to believe that Schneerson is Messiah but not God, then how is Christadelphian, who doesn't keep Jewish law either, and believes that Jesus is Messiah but not God, any worse?

And then of course there is also a combination of both of the above things. Instead of talking about Messianics (who say Jewish law is to be kept but Jesus is God) or Christadelphians (that say that Jesus is not God but Jewish law shouldn't be kept either) why not talk about the groups that say that Jesus is NOT God AND Jewish law has to be kept. The website www.torahofmessiah.com is an example of such group. So if you say Jewish law is to be kept AND Jesus is not God, then you are basically agreeing with Lubovich on both accounts, you just replaced Schneerson with Jesus. So then why is it Lubovichs are welcome to Israel while this specific brand of Messianis isn't?

Here is something else I been thinking of for a while that I don't think crossed most people's minds. I remember I attended the passover held by chabad lubovich (so no he doesn't believe in Jesus) and he mentioned how at the end of the first century around 100 Jews all died because they killed each other over some doctrinal disagreements. Now, he wasn't interested in Jesus, but this caused ME to come up with some ideas of my own. Namely, the crucifixion of Jesus was just part of the bigger picture of different civil wars within Jewish community at the time. Then Judeo-based religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) are simply children of respective Jewish groups (Judaism = children of Pharesees, Christianity = children of Nazarenes, Islam = children of ebionites) and the fighting between these three Abrahamic religions are simply the inheritance of the civil wars within Judaism, since all three of them are really descendents of Judaism. So Christians killing Jews in inquisition is really an inheritance of Jews killing each other during first century. And during first century when Jews were killing each other they knew they were all Jews, yet their differences were big enough to kill. Similarly, Christians also know they have Jewish roots yet differences are again big enough to kill.

Of course today most Christians don't kill. But the point is that antisemitism is really an inheritance of Jewish in-fighting in the context of Christianity being a Jewish offshot. In fact there is no reason for Buddhists to hate Jews: Jews are just one of zillion other ethnic groups. But for Christians yes there is a reason: they have Jewish roots, so they have some issues to fight over with their mother-religion.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 4:22 am

ironpony wrote:
QFT wrote:
Well, if someone were to say "Jews care about Israel too much" that would be antisemitic. Yet Trump saying "Jews don't care about Israel enough" is antisemitic as well. Despite the fact that this is the "opposite" statement to the above. So which is antisemitic then?

It sounds like making just about any observation involving Jews is automatically antisemitic. But here is logic. Every ethnic/religious group has SOME distinct properties. So, by default, it means Jews should have SOME distinct properties too -- or else they would no longer exist as a group. Yet naming any of those properties is antisemitic. Do you see how that is a bit ridiculous?

Putting terminology aside, many years ago I actually noticed the same things that Trump has, and was wondering about them too (and I am Jewish, although I am Messianic Jew meaning I believe in Jesus while still keeping Jewish law). The statistical fact revealed in demographic surveys is that 80% of Jews vote democrat. Yet the other statitical fact is that Republican party is a lot more pro-Israel than democratic party. And combination of these two facts is what makes it seem like Jews put Israel second to their other political preferences (whatever they might be). The fact that, in America, the evangelical Christians are more pro-Israel than Jews is also a statistical fact revealed on the surveys. And I believe those surveys were carried out by many different organizations, including Jewish ones. So I don't see how it is antisemitic. It is simple re-stating of the results of the surveys.

And like I said it actually contradicts antisemitic theme of Jews supposedly putting Jewish things (including Israel) ahead of everything else.

That's interesting. Why are evangelical Christians more pro-Israel compard to Jewish Americans?

Evangelicals very much take the book of Revelations (too) literally, thus believing that Jesus will only return to rule an earthly kingdom for a thousand years if the Jews rule Israel, and when the temple of Jerusalem is restored. They believe God will show them favoritism for supporting the restoration of Israel.
Most mainline Christians don't take Revelations 100% literally, see most of that book as covering things that have mostly already occurred centuries ago, see Christ's kingdom on earth as the Christian faith, and His thousand year reign as a long, indeterminant period of time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 4:31 am

DmitriNicholaev wrote:
ironpony wrote:
DmitriNicholaev wrote:
ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Jesus considered Himself a Jew….but Christians certainly don’t consider Him a Jew.

They believe He was the basis of a new religion which worships Him as the Son of God.

Well it's just that the Jewish people are considered to be a race, so I thought Jesus was a Jew in racial terms, rather than religious terms.

But I find Trump and some people who think Jesus is awesome people bad to be contradictory. That's like saying Malcolm X was a great black man, but every other black person is bad, because a few black people betrayed Malcolm X. It's contradictory and wouldn't make sense. That's how it seems to me when people view all Jews as bad, but still love Jesus as a Jew.

Christian Anti-Semitism isn't the same as white nationalist anti-Semitism even if both heavily overlap.

Christian Anti-Semitism hates and reviles Jews because to them the Jews are terrible scum for rejecting the New Testament of Jesus, for turning in Jesus to the Romans, and for not believing in Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God that Christians believe he was prophesied to be from the time of Isiah.

white nationalism takes some of that Christian anti-semitism as a springboard to launch into weird pseudoscientific racial hierarchy BS that posits that Jews are somehow intrinsically evil to their genetics and hates them for that.

Both are wrong but seem to emanate from 2 similar but fundamentally different impetuses and currents

Oh okay, but how come Christians don't hate Catholics then as well, the same way? Aren't Catholics descendant of the Roman people very heavily, and those are the same people that also crucified Jesus? Therefore, shouldn't Christians lump Catholics into the same category as Jews?

I mean by the time Christianity swept through Europe all forms of Paganism, which the Romans used to practice during the time of Jesus, was wiped out. The Catholic Church was ruthless and vicious in its bloody elimination and genocide of pagans throughout Europe so there wasn't much point in hating the Romans for killing Jesus when it was the Romans who ultimately converted to Christianity and forcefully spread it throughout their empire.

Actually, it was more a matter of mass conversion. While pagans within Roman society could be treated harshly for their beliefs, the Romans were interested in expanding Christianity among pagan tribes and nations, perhaps to gain political influence as well as saving souls.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 4:50 am

ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Well it's just that the Jewish people are considered to be a race, so I thought Jesus was a Jew in racial terms, rather than religious terms.

But I find Trump and some people who think Jesus is awesome people bad to be contradictory. That's like saying Malcolm X was a great black man, but every other black person is bad, because a few black people betrayed Malcolm X. It's contradictory and wouldn't make sense. That's how it seems to me when people view all Jews as bad, but still love Jesus as a Jew.

Malcolm X is a bad example to use because Malcolm X was himself racist against Whites (or was until he a dramatic change of heart not long before the end of his life).

There are plenty of actual real examples of Black individuals being lionized by White individuals who ...were still racist against Blacks.

Eric Clapton's life work was imitating the guitar playing blues singers of America like BB King, Freddy King, and Albert King. All of whom were Black. He did an album with, and made music vids with BB King. But that didnt stop Eric Clapton from using racial slurs when he got drunk on stage, and from being against Blacks immigrating to the UK.

Is that inconsistant? Yes. Does it make sense? No. But thats how human beings are. Humans dont always make sense. :lol:

So its possible for folks to make a Jewish guy into a god, and still hate Jews.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 8:10 am

Some Christians seem to forget that Catholics are also Christian.

Protestants initially disliked Catholics because they believed Catholics were too much into worshiping idols and were too materialistic.

Read Martin Luther’s 95 Theses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 8:11 am

But Christians don’t consider Jesus to be Jewish. I don’t know any who do—who don’t think about the historical Jesus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 8:34 am

I actually don’t know if Trump is an anti-Semite…..but be does certainly say things that anti-Semites say.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 11:09 am

QFT wrote:

You should not take Trump’s statement as a stand alone comment but combine it with his other comments to Jews describing Israel as “your country” and Netanyahu as “Your Prime Minister”.
Slur of Dual Loyalty
Quote:
The charge of alleged dual loyalty of Jews is on the rise. What is this charge? It’s nothing new. It’s the claim that we American Jews are either not truly loyal to the United States of America or that we have some sort of dual loyalty to the U.S. and to Israel or some allegedly anti-American organization or belief.

We must call out those that make these slurs and be heard. It’s coming from the Left and the Right.

Here are just a few recent examples of the charge of disloyalty with which I strongly oppose, as should all American Jews:

“I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says that it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.” – Rep. Ilhan Omar, referring to the Jewish lobby.

“I stood with your prime minister at the White House to recognize Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights,” President Trump at the Republican Jewish Committee’s annual leadership conference in Las Vegas.

This charge of disloyalty by those who harbor anti-Semitic views or are simply woefully ignorant has been used against us for centuries. Capt. Alfred Dreyfus was convicted of spying in a French court in 1894 in the midst of public discussion of Jew’s loyalty to France. Nazis made accusations that Jews in Germany were loyal to Communism and not to the State. Communists in the Soviet Union alleged that Jews were loyal to Israel and not the U.S.S.R. Arab States used it to evict millennia old Jewish populations from their midst. And in America, Lindbergh used it to accuse Jews of pushing for war, stating:

“Instead of agitating for war, the Jewish groups in this country should be opposing it in every possible way, for they will be among the first to feel its consequences. Tolerance is a virtue that depends upon peace and strength.

“A few far-sighted Jewish people realize this, and stand opposed to intervention. But the majority still do not. Their greatest danger to their country lies in their large ownership and influence in our motion pictures, our press, our radio and our government.”

While this was stated in Des Moines, Iowa, on Sept. 11, 1941, does anyone doubt that we could find similar sentiment and comparable statements today?

We have a major problem when those on the Left and the Right continue to spread false tropes of American Jews, particularly the charge of disloyalty or dual loyalty. To be sure, American Jews have a deep sense of affection for Israel and even attachment to Israel.

But strong ties and feelings do not make for dual loyalty. We must combat this at every opportunity.

These days the emphasis is on identity but it was the opposite way when my Grandparents and Great Grandparents escaped programs to come here arriving at Ellis Island. They were met with open discrimination. Rightly or wrongly their solution was rigorous schooling and hard work in order to Americanize. It until recently worked. My family became solid middle class citizens. Others became key parts of American economy and culture. The dual loyalty accusations were relegated to the fringes and stayed there for decades.

And now we seem to be going backwards. These accusations are truly an insult because they dismiss all the work that went into the success of Americanization.

For sure most Jews do recognize the rise in Jew hate with the well publicized physical attacks. But that I and others feel the need to explain why Trump’s comments are bad to fellow Jews speaks to the tremendous success of the Americanization efforts.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Some Christians seem to forget that Catholics are also Christian.

Protestants initially disliked Catholics because they believed Catholics were too much into worshiping idols and were too materialistic.

Read Martin Luther’s 95 Theses.

There was serious doubt that John Kennedy could be elected President because of the belief he would be loyal to the Pope, not America
How John F. Kennedy Overcame Anti-Catholic Bias to Win the Presidency
Quote:
On September 12, 1960, less than two months before Americans would choose the next president of the United States, Democratic candidate John F. Kennedy was in Texas giving a speech to a Houston gathering of Southern Baptist clergy.

This wasn’t a normal campaign stop. Kennedy was Catholic and, at the time, only the second Catholic presidential candidate in U.S. history after Al Smith’s unsuccessful run in 1928. And for a Catholic candidate from New England, a conference of Southern Baptist ministers was considered the “lion’s den,” ground zero for anti-Catholic political rhetoric and even outright bigotry.

[C]ontrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for president,” Kennedy said on live TV in his now famous address. “I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me.”

In the late 1950s, Catholic politicians were viewed with open suspicion by many mainline Protestants and Evangelicals. Shaun Casey, director of the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs at Georgetown University, and author of The Making of a Catholic President, says that Catholic candidates were accused of having “dual loyalties” to both the Vatican and the United States.

“The argument was, when push came to shove, a president who was Roman Catholic would ultimately be more loyal to the Vatican because the fate of his eternal soul was at stake,” says Casey. “If Kennedy was elected president, he’d criminalize birth control, he’d cut off foreign aid that helped countries invest in birth control, and he’d funnel tax money to Catholic parochial schools.”

When Al Smith ran for president in the 1920s, anti-Catholic sentiment was widespread. One political cartoon from the era shows Smith’s “cabinet” as a conference room full of bishops with the Pope sitting at the head of the table. Smith is seen serving the assembled clergy with a jug of “XXX” liquor. One prominent Baptist minister from Oklahoma told his parishioners, “If you vote for Al Smith you’re voting against Christ and you’ll all be damned.”

By the 1960 election, anti-Catholic bias was less overt, but still a considerable obstacle for Kennedy to overcome. Kennedy received hundreds of letters from conflicted Democratic voters saying that they loved his policies but could never vote for a Catholic, according to Casey.

Richard Nixon and the Republican National Committee knew the Catholic question was one of Kennedy’s greatest weaknesses, and while Nixon professed publicly that he wouldn’t raise the issue of his opponent’s faith, his actions behind the scenes spoke differently.

“Nixon had a widespread, robust, anti-Catholic, pro-Protestant campaign that he was running surreptitiously,” says Casey. “People like Billy Graham and Norman Vincent Peale did a lot of organizing under the radar trying to gin up Protestant fear that this Catholic guy was going to be bad for them and bad for America”

The KKK was huge and very much out in the open on Long Island in the 1920s. At the time there were not many blacks or Jews here so it was Catholics that received most of their ire. There was a cross burning at a Catholic Church in my hometown.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But Christians don’t consider Jesus to be Jewish. I don’t know any who do—who don’t think about the historical Jesus.

Okay here is an example. There were some New Testament sections that mentioned places in Israel that were occupied by Jews and places occupied by gentiles. Well, one of us used the argument that Jesus was born in Bethlehem as a proof that Bethlehem was occupied by Jews. So clearly that person knew that Jesus was Jewish. And nobody else asked him "what are you talking about". Everyone knew Jesus was Jewish within the context of that conversation.

And no it wasn't Messianic Bible study, it was a regular Christian Bible study. The fact that Jesus was Jewish is a common knowledge among Christians.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I actually don’t know if Trump is an anti-Semite…..but be does certainly say things that anti-Semites say.

He walks like a duck.
He's got credible accusations of sexual assault like a duck.
He quacks like a duck.

I think you're safe in calling him a duck, instead of just pointing out his strong resemblance to ducks.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He walks like a duck.
He quacks like a duck.

I think you're safe in calling him a duck, instead of just pointing out his strong resemblance to ducks.

Well, he moved American embassy to Jerusalem, which doesn't sound like something an antisemite would do.

I guess it is logically possible to have a really obscure mindset that combines zionism with antisemitism. But it would be quite an obscure kind of antisemite indeed.

And by the way being accused of sexual harassment has nothing to do with antisemitism. Think logically instead of just assuming "all bad things go together".

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2021, 12:45 pm

QFT wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He walks like a duck.
He quacks like a duck.

Well, he moved American embassy to Jerusalem, which doesn't sound like something an antisemite would do.

I guess it is logically possible to have a really obscure mindset that combines zionism with antisemitism. But it would be quite an obscure kind of antisemite indeed.

And by the way being accused of sexual harassment has nothing to do with antisemitism. Think logically instead of just assuming "all bad things go together".

I hope you do realize that there is actually a very strong connection between Anti-Semitism and Pro-Zionism, which a liberal Zionist professor by the name of Peter Beinart himself talks about in his piece in the Guardian on this topic:

Quote:
here is, finally, a third argument for why anti-Zionism equals antisemitism. It is that, as a practical matter, the two animosities simply go together. “Of course it’s theoretically possible to distinguish anti-Zionism from antisemitism, just as it’s theoretically possible to distinguish segregationism from racism,” writes Stephens. Just as virtually all segregationists are also racists, he suggests, virtually all anti-Zionists are also antisemites. You rarely find one without the other.

But that claim is empirically false. In the real world, anti-Zionism and antisemitism don’t always go together. It is easy to find antisemitism among people who, far from opposing Zionism, enthusiastically embrace it.

Before Israel’s creation, some of the world leaders who most ardently promoted Jewish statehood did so because they did not want Jews in their own countries. Before declaring, as foreign secretary in 1917, that Britain “view[s] with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people”, Arthur Balfour supported the 1905 Aliens Act, which restricted Jewish immigration to the United Kingdom.

And two years after his famous declaration, Balfour said Zionism would “mitigate the age-long miseries created for western civilisation by the presence in its midst of a Body [the Jews] which it too long regarded as alien and even hostile, but which it was equally unable to expel or to absorb”.

In the 1930s, the Polish government adopted a similar tack. Its ruling party, which excluded Jews, trained Zionist fighters on Polish military bases. Why? Because it wanted Polish Jews to emigrate. And a Jewish state would give them somewhere to go. You find echoes of this antisemitic Zionism among some rightwing American Christians who are far friendlier to the Jews of Israel than the Jews of the US. In 1980, Jerry Falwell, a close ally of Israel’s then prime minister, Menachem Begin, quipped that Jews “can make more money accidentally than you can on purpose”.

Israel’s current prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, in 2005 said, “we have no greater friend in the whole world than Pat Robertson” – the same Pat Robertson who later called former US air force judge Mikey Weinstein a “little Jewish radical” for promoting religious freedom in the American military.

After being criticised by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) in 2010 for calling George Soros a “puppet master” who “wants to bring America to her knees” and “reap obscene profits off us”, Glenn Beck travelled to Jerusalem to hold a pro-Israel rally.

More recently, Donald Trump – who told the Republican Jewish Coalition in 2015: “You’re not going to support me because I don’t want your money” – invited Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress, who has said Jews are going to hell for not accepting Jesus, to lead a prayer at the ceremony inaugurating the American embassy in Jerusalem.

In 2017, Richard Spencer, who leads crowds in Nazi salutes, called himself a “white Zionist” who sees Israel as a model for the white homeland he wants in the US.

Some of the European leaders who traffic most blatantly in antisemitism – Hungary’s Viktor Orbán, Heinz-Christian Strache of Austria’s far-right Freedom party and Beatrix von Storch of the Alternative for Germany, which promotes nostalgia for the Third Reich – publicly champion Zionism too.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/m ... ntisemitic

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:53 pm

QFT wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He walks like a duck.
He quacks like a duck.

Antisemites can still support Zionism out of the belief that a Jewish nation will draw Jewish citizens to emigrate.

DmitriNicholaev addressed this well.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 1:30 pm

Oh okay thanks, this is all very interesting. One thing I find interesting about American politics is that it seems that the republicans are more pro-Israel, and that the democrats are more pro-Palestine. I am not sure if one side chose to be pro the opposite, just for the sake of being opposite, of the other party.

But what I find ironic is, is that democrats are progressive where as Palestine is less progressive than Israel, in their politics it seems. They seem more regressive in comparison. Not that I am judging, I am just pointing out how the more progressive democrats seem to be pro-the more regressive Palestine.

And it's ironic more the more regressive republicans, are pro, the more progressive Israel. Is there a reason for this irony perhaps?