Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:19 pm

Apparently, just one account, so rumors of her being silenced are greatly exaggerated.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

So she promoted this nonsense and was banned from the entire Twitter or just one account?

I don't use Twitter so don't know how it works.

Her personal account was banned for violations of Twitters covid policy, which bars users from sharing content that is “demonstrably false or misleading and may lead to significant risk of harm.” Five or more strikes lead to a permanent suspension. She still maintains access to her congressional account, as the account is not in violation of Twitter policies :scratch:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:31 pm

That doesn't seem to make sense. Wouldn't her twits (tweets?) be more of a problem if posted from her work account?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That doesn't seem to make sense. Wouldn't her twits (tweets?) be more of a problem if posted from her work account?
That seems to be how it worked for POTUS #45.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

No violations were posted on her work account so it is in good standing. Tweets from her work account would of been more problematic but still would of fallen foul of Twitters Covid Policy.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 1:14 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know who those people are either (lmao sorry), but I get what you're saying.

So she promoted this nonsense and was banned from the entire Twitter or just one account?

I don't use Twitter so don't know how it works.

The British equivalent would be "Lord Haw Haw". I assume that you know him.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 1:45 am

I see I have arrived after the usual "if you're tongue hasn't literally been cut out you haven't been silenced" very smart discourse that always seems to arise in these threads. It's like some people can't grasp why allowing private companies to arbitrarily limit who has access to the modern public square might be problematic, which is particularly ironic coming from the literal fascism crowd.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 1:55 am

Dox47 wrote:
I see I have arrived after the usual "if you're tongue hasn't literally been cut out you haven't been silenced" very smart discourse that always seems to arise in these threads. It's like some people can't grasp why allowing private companies to arbitrarily limit who has access to the modern public square might be problematic, which is particularly ironic coming from the literal fascism crowd.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2022, 1:57 am

It's a good thing one of her accounts is gone. MTG has said so much batsh!t stuff that I'm surprised it has taken her this long.

I'm glad social media are taking responsibility and removing antivaxxers and other covid disinformation. It's a serious and unnecessary threat to public health. Responsible platforms should not host such content. Good, accurate images from Fnord on that topic.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

traven
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 1:59 am

:roll: :jester:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:52 am

Dox47 wrote:

Really? Seems more like people whining and moaning cos only FOUR million people "like" them instead of the usual FIVE million. Also, say it again , but slower. P R I V A T E. C O M P A N Y. Private means PRIVATE. How exactly their PRIVATE platform becomes "da new publik space!" does seem a little mysterious. Please do explain. When facebook and twitter got popular, did the Real World cease to exist? Did all IRL public spaces suddenly vanish from reality? The presence of protesters in the real world streets seems to indicate that actual public spaces still exist, and are still used, too.

Social media is not a public space. It is a privately-owned space, made available to the public, contingent upon compliance of agreed-upon rules. Just cos you're "out in public" or "publicly visible" doesn't mean you're in a Public Space. Just cos the whole neighborhood can hear you when you shout from my front yard, doesn't change the fact that it's MY front yard. A shopping mall is not "public space" just cos it's open to the public.

Somma y'all seem like you'd scream "FASCISM!" if your momma made you eat your veggies as a child. The horror! Spoiled brats screaming "fascism!" any time they don't get their way. Acting like being reprimanded is literal torture.

Anything less than "getting your tongue cut off"? Lol wut? That's quite a leap, from "twitter ban" to "rendered physically incapable of speaking". I mean, now that she doesn't have twitter all she has left is facebook, instagram, reddit, tumblr, tik-tok, fox-news, her seat as a congressperson, the ability to speak openly in public, etc, etc. That's practically NOTHING! The poor woman! Just imagine how dark and barbarous things were before twitter existed!

In all fairness, if they were that "silenced", I wouldn't still be hearing them screeching about it.

IT'S TWITTER FFS. If Twitter dies one day, are y'all gonna shed a tear for the loss of so much free-speechification? How many people on here would even notice if Facebook shut down right now, other than hearing other people whining about facebook being gone? If twitter failed tomorrow, would you be all up in arms lobbying congress to fund it's continuation? Or would you simply join any one of the other social media sites, and start complaining there, too.

*gets banned from a social media site*
*joins 8 other social media sites*
"OMG can you believe it, I've been SILENCED!! !"

:roll: :roll: :roll: clearly... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Social media gave the average moron the exposure normally only afforded to people in formal media or politics. And attention is addictive. "NO! NOT MY LIKES! I NEED THEM! VALIDATE MEEEEEE!" Sure, sometimes it's a convenient tool, and offers some useful benefits in some cases - but twitter is also a hundred million idiots babbling for 140 characters at a time. If all social media ceased to exist tomorrow, I somehow feel like life would go on just fine. Some individuals would probably be desperate for a "like" fix for a while... "noooooo, need followers, must feel important somehow...!"

If I've never used twitter at all, does that mean I'm even more "silenced" than she is? I don't use instagram or tik-tok either. I barely use facebook. IT MUST BE THE WORK OF FASCISMS!! ! I'VE BEEN SILENCED AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! Quick, somebody help me make a youtubes! I can FEEL my freedom slipping away as we speak!

All this talk of FASCISM! reminds me of a child I once knew that would quite literally hurl herself onto the ground and start flailing and screaming "HELP! ABUSE!" in public any and every time her father wouldn't cave into her every whim. Usually over toys or candy.

This topic is a good laugh though.

"I GOT BANNED FROM TWITTER!! !"

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Apparently, just one account, so rumors of her being silenced are greatly exaggerated.

It's like a "tree falling in the forest" type quandary. "If they've been silenced, why am I still hearing from them?"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 12:10 pm

People in the UK, Canada, and Australia should be able to understand this.

If you are a regular at your local pub, and you are regularly the cause of a row inside the pub, the owners of the pub have every right and reason to deny you the privilege of coming inside by kicking you out and barring you from ever coming back inside.

There is nothing to stop you from going inside another pub, so you have not been denied your right to drink.

Do not confuse the term "Public House" with "Publicly Owned", since pubs are privately-owned establishments.

By the same reasoning, for "Public Media Websites" that are privately-owned, the owners have every right and reason to kick you out and bar you from ever coming back inside when you violate their Terms Of Service.

Marjorie Taylor Greene has not been silenced -- she has not been denied her right to free speech.  She has only been denied the privilege of accessing Twitter through her private account.

Some people seem to not understand the difference between privileges and rights.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 12:20 pm

Fnord wrote:

Deal with it.

Everybody down a shot, he posted it again.
https://i.imgur.com/ixmi4bZ.png

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm

People get banned from here and it’s because they violated the TOS.It’s not silencing them, there are other forums they can use.She has the same opportunity.
However she could use one of those ball gags.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 12:31 pm

Yup; and I will keep posting it (or maybe just the text) every time someone is wrong about the Right to Free Speech.

Sooner or later, people will have to accept the fact that uttering or publishing in a privately-owned and publicly-accessible forum is a privilege, and not a right.