Asian group calls for not awarding ‘Licorice Pizza’

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 5:44 am

Asian activist group calls for awards boycott of 'Licorice Pizza' for fake Asian accent

Quote:
An Asian American activist group is calling for an awards boycott of director Paul Thomas Anderson's "Licorice Pizza" over its use of a fake Asian accent.

In the film, a white male restaurateur, played by John Michael Higgins, speaks to his Japanese wife with a fake Asian accent. He appears again in the film with another Japanese woman, his new wife, and he repeats the attempted gag.

While the film has garnered overwhelmingly positive reviews and generated a ton of awards buzz, some critics and people on social media blasted it for its depiction of racism without any pushback from its characters.

"Due to the casual racism found in the movie 'Licorice Pizza,' the Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) believes that Paul Thomas Anderson's film is not deserving of nominations in the categories of Best Picture, Best Director, or Best Original screenplay, and is asking other film critic associations to pass over it this awards season," MANAA said in a statement Dec. 18.

"To shower it with nominations and awards would normalize more egregious mocking of Asians in this country, sending the message that it's OK to make fun of them," the group said, noting the spike in anti-Asian hate crimes during the coronavirus pandemic.

Anderson responded: “I think it would be a mistake to tell a period film through the eyes of 2021. You can’t have a crystal ball, you have to be honest to that time. Not that it wouldn’t happen right now, by the way. My mother-in-law’s Japanese and my father-in-law is white, so seeing people speak English to her with a Japanese accent is something that happens all the time. I don’t think they even know they’re doing it.”

Sociologist Nancy Wang Yuen has previously said that while Anderson acknowledged that the movie was a "period" piece, the scenes still depicted racism “unfiltered.”

The film, which rolled out in limited release over Thanksgiving weekend, is a coming-of-age comedy-drama that stars Alana Haim (of the band Haim) and Cooper Hoffman (the son of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman), two young people growing up in the San Fernando Valley of California in the 1970s.

This is not “cancel culture”, the activist group is not calling for the film to be pulled, but that it not receive awards.

I am into watching period pieces involving time periods I lived through and checking for accuracy, especially when as in ‘Licorice Pizza’ the central character is the age I was at the time. Thirty years after Pearl Harbor just for an American to be married to a Japanese person would have been unusual. Nobody would call you out for using a fake accent in 1973. If the conversations we had were accurately depicted in film today oh my god. They would ask me if I smelled gas a Holocaust reference, the Italian guy would be told there was bullet holes in his car a Mafia reference, the Irish guy would get drunk references. It was considered ethnic humor not racist depending on context.

I will judge the film in it’s entirety not on two lines when it I see it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 7:11 am

Sorry to not agree with everything, but...

In my part of the county (Washington DC area) White-Japanese marriages were kinda common. White-Chinese marriages were rare. And (from what I learned in sociology class later in college)that was because of prejudice from the minority directed outward, not from the majority White population towards the minority(Whites are equally prejudiced/nonprejudiced towards Japanese and Chinese alike because they cant even tell the two groups apart). Chinese-American culture is more hostile to marrying outsiders. Japanese Americans were more open to mixed marriage. And men of my dads generation often had had "war brides" from both Europe and Japan. So White-Japanese mixes were fairly common among kids my age.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 9:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sorry to not agree with everything, but...

In my part of the county (Washington DC area) White-Japanese marriages were kinda common. White-Chinese marriages were rare. And (from what I learned in sociology class later in college)that was because of prejudice from the minority directed outward, not from the majority White population towards the minority(Whites are equally prejudiced/nonprejudiced towards Japanese and Chinese alike because they cant even tell the two groups apart). Chinese-American culture is more hostile to marrying outsiders. Japanese Americans were more open to mixed marriage. And men of my dads generation often had had "war brides" from both Europe and Japan. So White-Japanese mixes were fairly common among kids my age.

Off Topic
There is nothing to disagree about. A lot does depend on not only when you grew up but where. The parents were WWII and Korean War vets but mixed marriages of any type were stigmatized in my area. The movie ‘The Ice Storm’ was also a coming of age story set in a tony Connecticut in 1973 during an Ice Storm. A key part of the story involves a key party. Until I watched the movie I had never heard of key parties. Apparently they were a big deal back then. The movie did accurately depict how both the adults and teens the were lost and alienated with the 60s recently over and Watergate going full bore. The closest movie depiction by far to what it was like where I grew up was ‘Dazed and Confused’ set on high school graduation day 1976(I graduated a year earlier) set in Texas. In the movie they showed mean hazing rituals which did not happen by me but otherwise everything else was dead on. The sitcom ‘That 70’s Show’ got the music, clothes, and events right but the “feel” all wrong. While it was set in the 70s it was written for a 2000s teen audience. ‘Licorice Pizza’ is set in the San Fernando Valley among Hollywood/Hollywood wannabe types so I expect it to be very different from my experiences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 Dec 2021, 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 9:35 am

Activists groups can boycott anything they want; but when it comes down to entertainment awards, the decisions are essentially pre-determined before a single vote is cast; and when those votes are eventually cast, it is usually by a very small group of insiders to the entertainment industry, and not by members of the activist groups.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 2:51 pm

I call for not ceremonially awarding anything to anybody.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 3:17 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I call for not ceremonially awarding anything to anybody.
Hear!  Hear!

Award shows ... little more than self-adulation by the narcissistic entertainment industry.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If the conversations we had were accurately depicted in film today oh my god.

Isn't that the truth? Applying the standards of today to things that happened in the past will never be a fair exercise. While we do have to reckon with the harms we might have caused with our ignorance, that is a very different process than reckoning with similar actions taken in a more enlightened world.

How to deal with the realities of the past in storytelling is a challenge, for sure. They can quickly overtake the story the writer is hoping to tell.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 5:33 am

To be fair whenever an Asian stand up comedian or a comically funny Asian character appears in Hollywood the comedian or actor inevitably plays to some inane Asian stereotype. They do it for the money not for cultural accuracy.