Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Maritime experts are convinced they have confirmed the final resting place of Captain James Cook's ship, Endeavour, after 22 years of searching.

The Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) announced a wreck in Newport Harbour, off Rhode Island in the United States, had been confirmed as the ship.

The Endeavour, which was scuttled in the harbour as part of the American War of Independence in 1788, has a prominent place in Australian history.

In 1770 it became the first European vessel to reach the east coast.

[...]

Originally launched in 1764 as the Earl of Pembroke, four years later it was renamed Endeavour by Britain's Royal Navy.

Over the next three years, the ship voyaged to the South Pacific, firstly on an astronomical mission to record the transit of Venus in Tahiti, before charting Australia's east coast and the coast of New Zealand in 1770.

The vessel lay forgotten for more than two centuries, after it was sold to private owners and deliberately sunk in 1778 by British forces.

While only 15 per cent of the vessel remains, efforts are now focused on how to protect and preserve it.

[...]

In making today's announcement, Mr Sumption acknowledged his American counterparts.

"We pay tribute to the work of Dr Kathy Abbass and her team at the Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project for their ongoing commitment to the site and its history," he said.

"It's an important historical moment, as this vessel's role in exploration, astronomy and science applies not just to Australia, but also Aotearoa New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States."

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-03/captain-james-cook-endeavour-found-museum-says/100800894

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 8:37 pm

Thanks for posting this! It’s of huge interest (as an Aussie, maritime and sailing in the blood).

Just this year, on a break away in Devon, England, I stumbled upon the Captain Cook Museum … It was pretty amazing! Took lots of photos. I had a huge artwork of the Endeavour on my wall for many years in Aus. It was a sad end for Cook.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 9:56 pm

I guess that the American equivalent would be the Mayflower. The old sailing freighter, built for wine trade, that brought the Pilgrims over. After it famous voyage it was sold cheap to an English farmer who used its timbers to build a barn on land. So the Mayflower doesnt have an undersea final resting place like the Endeavor.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I guess that the American equivalent would be the Mayflower. The old sailing freighter, built for wine trade, that brought the Pilgrims over. After it famous voyage it was sold cheap to an English farmer who used its timbers to build a barn on land. So the Mayflower doesnt have an undersea final resting place like the Endeavor.

Given the Endeavour was used for mapping\exploration, rather than settlement, I'd have said a ship such as "A Coruña" used by Estêvão Gomes would have been a more accurate comparrison than the Mayflower... But both ships would (should) be considered historically relevent to the U.S.A. regardless of the order of importance a person applies to them.