Why Increasing Minimum Wage is Meaningless

Page 4 of 12 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 5:57 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
People shouldn't need two full time jobs to eat. If full time work is supposed to be 40 hours a week, working 40 hours a week so be enough to live and have medical care.

Again though, why is that the responsibility of the business owner and not the state? There are other ways to address corporations shafting their workers to increase stock prices and executive bonuses, but how do you make paying people something more than the value of their work function for a business?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 7:44 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
People shouldn't need two full time jobs to eat. If full time work is supposed to be 40 hours a week, working 40 hours a week so be enough to live and have medical care.

Again though, why is that the responsibility of the business owner and not the state? There are other ways to address corporations shafting their workers to increase stock prices and executive bonuses, but how do you make paying people something more than the value of their work function for a business?

You don't value people enough to pay them enough to live? Listen to yourself. They're human beings, not a monetary value. I'm sick to my stomach. :pale:

Last edited by Cornflake on 15 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Removed some problematic phrasing

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 7:53 am

hurtloam wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

You don't value people enough to pay them enough to live? Listen to yourself. They're human beings, not a monetary value. I'm sick to my stomach. :pale:

All he said was that a business can't pay workers 100 dollars an hour if they only produce products valuing 80 dollars an hour which is absolutely true unless they are literally printing money.

How is what be said heartless or immortal?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:18 am

Who gets £80 an hour and can't live off it?

We're talking about people on minimum wage.

If you can afford £80 and you're paying £9.50, yes that's wrong.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:27 am

Dox47 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Tell me why people back then working labor were able to make enough to live off of and they no longer can? It worked back then.

Also think of it like this, less moochers on welfare so it's a win win or else stopping whining about welfare queens or the homeless issue.

Or another solution is to end landlord greed. They will jack up rent prices and not care about the lower income and boom, we have so much homeless people in the streets now.

None of this changes the fact that you can't stay in business paying someone $15/hr for $10/hr worth of work, it's like trying moralize your way out of gravity.

Timpsons!

https://www.timpson-group.co.uk/working-for-us/benefits/

There are ways to make things work if people want to do it. Means they don't have a Landrover car, but do you want to know you're employees can't feed their kids just so you can drive a huge car?

That's what I find disgusting. You have a choice. They don't. Choose good.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:32 am

hurtloam wrote:

My bad I meant day.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:34 am

Nades wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

My bad I meant day.

I was beginning to wonder what you do for work that pays so well lol

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:59 am

Dox47 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Tell me why people back then working labor were able to make enough to live off of and they no longer can? It worked back then.

Also think of it like this, less moochers on welfare so it's a win win or else stopping whining about welfare queens or the homeless issue.

Or another solution is to end landlord greed. They will jack up rent prices and not care about the lower income and boom, we have so much homeless people in the streets now.

None of this changes the fact that you can't stay in business paying someone $15/hr for $10/hr worth of work, it's like trying moralize your way out of gravity.

I think lot of people under estimate the work of labor. I've worked in housekeeping and I work in janitorial and the BS you have to deal with and the fact how you need to look busy even if there is nothing to do is exhausting. I feel it's an under paid job given how much work and energy it takes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 9:04 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
People also need to remember that employees who feel they are properly valued are better employees. Treat people like they matter and they get inspired to give you their best.

Now I understand what people mean by "I don't get paid enough" in films.

I have seen employees online say how they don't bother to stop shop lifters because they dont get paid enough to even care or to risk their lives. I have started to practice this mindset as well. If I were paid better, I would put in more effort to keep busy at work by cleaning things that are already clean than playing on my phone.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 9:06 am

Nades wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

All he said was that a business can't pay workers 100 dollars an hour if they only produce products valuing 80 dollars an hour which is absolutely true unless they are literally printing money.

How is what be said heartless or immortal?

None of us are saying we need to be paid $100 an hour. Lot of people don't even make that much and they still can pay their living without welfare.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 9:40 am

Not replying to anyone in particular, but I think the elephant in this room is Small Business. I have no doubt Amazon et. al. could pay workers $20/hour or more, but OTOH we constantly hear how we need to support Small Business. My wife works in a milieu in which she knows may small businesspeople, and although she is a life-long Democrat like her father, she acknowledges that most of these colleagues are Republican and when I look at the world from their perspective I can't really find a good argument for them to change their minds. We expect small businesses to create jobs yet I agree that mandated minimum wage is a disincentive then you have things like the ACA mandate which applies if your payroll exceeds some number. What's worse is that politically this is a constituency to which Democrats don't even try to appeal which means probably nothing will ever change. UBI might actually be an excellent answer to this but it's an idea that is widely associated in peoples' minds with people like AOC whom they hate.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:25 am

I have a simple question: Who gets to set the new minimum wage? Business owners would like to pay the least that they can, while workers want to be paid the most that they can. There has to be a middle ground or both parties end up losing (when the business goes under). If one holds the other hostage too long, both lose.

Also, minimum wages need to be dependent upon the local living situation. If you require a $20 per hour minimum wage based upon an expensive area and require it over the whole country, it becomes a major issue with those businesses in less expensive (rural) areas. Sure the workers would be happy with the sudden large pay raise, until they have no job to go to. Many businesses in rural areas have a hard time competing with the big box stores. They often work on shoestring profits to get by. Forcing them into a financial burden like that will easily sink them. We already have enough closed businesses on rural main streets as is. By doing this you will have finished of what Walmart and Amazon started years ago, erasing rural businesses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:38 am

League_Girl wrote:

None of us are saying we need to be paid $100 an hour. Lot of people don't even make that much and they still can pay their living without welfare.

I meant to say per day. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted lol.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:48 am

Nades wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I meant to say per day. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted lol.

Even if I worked full time, I would be making around $125 a day and that still isn't enough to pay rent here in Portland. People were living here well despite making under $20 an hour and they lived near shops and a supermarket or near a bus line to buy their food. They didn't need a car. Then landlords got greedy and decided profit is important and decided to raise rent knowing people moving here would pay that much so the homeless problem increased. It came to a point where people lived paycheck to paycheck and then they couldn't pay rent so they got rented out

Heck me and my husband were living off of $10 an hour while I made $9 an hour and our rent was $650 and with both ours combined income, we lived comfortably. Our landlord didn't care about profit so she never raised the rent. She cared about giving people housing. Now that wouldn't be possible with that low in income.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 2:01 pm

As Far As The Minimum Wage Goes, We Do Still Live in A Representative
Democracy; And Even to the Chagrin of DeSaTaNiS And His Like Minded,
Cold Hearted, Spirited, Souled Minions As That Applies to the Welfare of

ALL THE POPULACE;

WE THE Florida PEOPLE HAVE
SPOKEN WITH VOTES IN THE
STATE OF FLORIDA AND THE

MAJORITY 'DICTATES' THAT THE

MINIMUM WAGE WILL INCREASE

IN INCREMENTS OF ONE DOLLAR

PER YEAR UNTIL IT REACHES 15 DOLLARS
AN HOUR IN 2026 AND WILL Thereafter Be

Adjusted By the Cost of Living For Inflation EACH

AND EVERY YEAR, So Basic Economic Fairness Will Finally Rain Down

in the SUNSHINE Flower State of Florida, Also Appropriately Shaped

Like A REVOLVER Gun, Where i Just So Happen to LiVE iN The Tip of the
Barrel

Not Actually

Working For

A Penny Now

Since 2008, Still

On A Writing, Singing, And Dancing
Rampage Spree Now FOR TOTALLY FREE!

YAWN, The Best Way to Make Money is NOT TO SPEND IT;

AGAIN, "Class," Close to 40 Percent of Folks in the Upper Middle Class
Making Over 100,000 Dollars-A-Year, Live Basically Pay-Check to Pay-Check;

And 50 Percent of Folks Making 50,000 to 100,000 Dollars-A-Year Live Basically

Pay-Check to Pay-Check; Hallelujah! i Am Actually Happy! i Grew UP POOR! HAVING
TO BOIL WATER! TO take a Warm Bath! With No Heat! in the Bathroom! As A Very Bony And

Cold!

Kid then!

i Learned the
Value of Generating
My Own Happiness Within

And Had Enough Money Saved

Up in the Bank to Retire By Age 48

For Many Years Without Even Any

Retirement Funds Coming in

From my Federal
Government

Job;

Why? No Living Kids;

Same House Since '93, Yes Same
Car For Sweet Sixteen Years, Thrice!

And Same Wife for 32 years too!

Yah, it took me Until Age 30 to make
$5.12 Per Hour Starting in a Federal Job
At age 24, After Earning 3 College Degrees

Making $3.69 Per Hour; Yes Then, i Lived At

Home Until Almost 30; Yet, Extended Families Like
That Were the Norm Throughout Most of Human History!

And Pre-History, Obviously too! You Do What Ya Gotta Do Do;

And Hey, If Florida Can Do it With Trump, DeSaTaNiS, and Gaetz

At The Reins of Selfish Leaning Soulless Leading Behavior In Politics; Yep,

There's Hope For Other States too;

Except For Perhaps Texas,

And most All the Other

'Christian Evangelistic
Red States' Where 'They' Say

'Their' 'Real Leader' Says Feed the

Poor NOT to Get Changed From Sheep to Goats

And Get Burned Forever; Yet of Course, Their Actions

Speak Much Louder Than Words Like The Folks Who Believe

Children Should Stay in Poverty (Without Child Tax Credits For Now)
in West Virginia And
Other Poor Red
States

As That
IS the Philosophy

Of Life of the 'Poor' Leaders There...

It's Practically Evil for the Children Without
Enough to Eat and Clothes For the Next School
Year That Do Fit! Indeed, A Best Thing Now Still

About 50 States Is IF You Can And Will Move to Another State, IF You Are Fortunate
Enough To Do That; Yes! Move to A State Still Holding A Soul Among We the People In Majority Ways at Least!

Wow, $10 Dollars An Hour in Florida Now! Took me until age 33, to Make That Much Pay; Of Course our

Health Insurance
Rates Then Were

About $20 Dollars

A Month And the House
We Bought Then Cost less

Than Many New Close to $100K Four Wheel Drives
Running the Road Now Where The Old Boomers
Driving them Have to Sell them As Sadly they

Can No longer Climb Up into the Cab as They
Sat Mostly On Their Butts in Retirement Days

Watching Sports!

Just in my
Opinion

From What
i've Seen Globally
As Such too as A
Participant Anthropology Observer Just for Fun!

Hey, i Have Millionaire Relatives on my Father's Side...

Difference is, Us Po' Raised Folks Still Wear Smiles At Ease...

Another Thing; Don't Marry A Princess, Marry 'Cinderella', Even If You Are Still a Frog, HAha...

Low Maintenance Love Is Often More Real Than Buying the Whole "Kohl's Store," Hehe For Real!

My Working Wage is Zero Now
For Over A Damn

Decade!

And I'm Damned
Sure Proud of Escaping

The American 'Dream' oF A Dollar BiLL;

Yet i Have Enough Frigging Empathy Left

Not to Mind The Increase of the Price of
A Seafood Dinner to $19.99 From $16.99

Since Minimum Wage Has Gone Up to Ten Bucks!

Yet it Really S88KS That There Isn't Enough Soul
Left in this Country to "Build Back Better" For EVERYONE!

Yah, i Can Do Without A Fancier Car, So Someone Can Clothe Their Frigging Kids!

On the other

Hand, my

Wife Demands

A Fancier Car!

And You Know
What 'They' Say

About "Yes Dear"

Or Perhaps Ya Should
if Ya Wanna Stay Married
And Save A Tremendous
Amount of Money By Not
Changing That Major Life Expense!

Oh, Well, Like i Said, if i Have to Forgo
Seafood Dinners For My Wife's Happiness
in A Brand New Deep Blue Subaru SUV; i'll Make the Sacrifice!

Yet, Seriously, So Many Folks Waste Money On Garbage They'll Never Even Really Need...

There Are Many Lonely Cars! Sitting in Driveways! Lending Their Homes to 'Walmart Garbage'
in Double Car Garages!

'Every Day
Low

Prices'

So Easy

When You

Just Dance At
Walmart And

Don't Buy The So-Called

American Dream And Leave
That to Your Personal Accountant, (Angel Wife)
Secretary, And All Around Do-Gooder For You!

True, At Best! It's Still Dancing A Tightrope For Balance!

Yes, It's Really Non-Sensical to Suggest That A Minimum Wage
Increase is Meaningless For Those Who DO Figure Out How

NOT To Spend
So Damn Much too...

Obviously, A Huge Problem
All the Way Up to Over A Hundred
Thousand Dollar Incomes Per Year

IS LIVING PAY-CHECK TO PAY-CHECK WITH
LITTLE TO NO FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT INTELLIGENCE!

That's Rather Rare Indeed When Instant Gratification
Is Pushed to the Hilt to Buy 'The Drug of Capitalism!'

Don't Kid Yourself, Capitalism Can And
Will Be A Soul S88KinG Life-Long Addiction
Toward a Reality of Never Ever Being Content

And Just
Inhaling
Peace Exhaling Love

And You Do Get A
Choice too, IF You
Develop The Will to Exercise Change!..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 5:03 pm

here i go again playing devils advocate, have seen too often , when an employer has several employees , And the employer has not been selective enough or the potential employee presents
their work values as being different from , the way they actually work , not as a team player
they will take more trouble to dodge work and put additional burden on employees with real work ethics . ( hiding in the bathroom when customers arrive) etc. Every possible excuse not to engage in actual work or physical labour . Have actually seen this behaviour encouraged by older employees and supervisor staff . Because the boss is away . Filling the workday with un preductive activities to fill the schedule. Specifically the US Post office. Three years of that was enough. Making effort and getting the job done efficiently . Was a strict No No.... Three years before realizing that it was just not done that way. It was meant to be a honorable responsible profession i thought . :( Thought i was giving what i was being paid for. And it paid well at the time.
It was an impossible lesson to learn.

where ever you go ,there you are