Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Those women were in such danger of him pulling a gun.

Why would you think that?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:36 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
I don't subscribe, just search what's 'hot'.

Oh, I didn't mean it as an accusation, just an observation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

It was America.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:40 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
I don't subscribe, just search what's 'hot'.

Oh, I didn't mean it as an accusation, just an observation.

I wasn't defending my honour, I have none 8)

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

It was America.

Is the correct answer :ninja:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 7:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It was America.

It was in Connecticut, during daylight hours, at what appears to be a somewhat upscale place, and everyone involved looks pretty middle class, that's not a combination where I'd be afraid a gun was going to come out. Contrary to media portrayals, gunfights don't just randomly break out in America, there's a time/place/people equation to it, and not just for gun violence but all violence.

We have a saying in the gun world, "don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people" that can be read as "don't put yourself in a situation where you're more likely to have to use a gun", but the subtext is that most of us have at least a bit of an idea of what, where, and who to avoid. Despite all of the yelling and throwing of the drink, nothing in that situation would lead me to believe that violence, deadly or otherwise, was about to occur, it's just a particularly angry customer throwing a tantrum, something I've seen from both sides of the counter before.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:58 pm

He did get fired from his job at Merrill Lynch.

Lots of details in this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/24/merrill ... -rant.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 11:59 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

27 years at a place, and they instantly canned him for an outside of work overreaction to a mistake that did in fact put his kid in the hospital, because of asshats on social media.

Quote:
Iannazzo, who had worked for Merrill Lynch since 1995, was enraged that day after his nut-allergic son went into life-threatening anaphylactic shock after having a drink from the store, which led to the 17-year-old boy’s hospitalization.

Last edited by Dox47 on 25 Jan 2022, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:07 am

Wrong thread.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 2:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

27 years at a place, and they instantly canned him for an outside of work overreaction to a mistake that did in fact put his kid in the hospital, because of asshats on social media.

Quote:
Iannazzo, who had worked for Merrill Lynch since 1995, was enraged that day after his nut-allergic son went into life-threatening anaphylactic shock after having a drink from the store, which led to the 17-year-old boy’s hospitalization.

Thinking about it more, he was abusing and threatening children around his son's age. That's overly bad behavior. It was basically one kid making a mistake that caused harm to another kid. A dad going after and attacking a kid that way crossed the line too far. Grown man attacking teenage girls. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 3:43 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Thinking about it more, he was abusing and threatening children around his son's age. That's overly bad behavior. It was basically one kid making a mistake that caused harm to another kid. A dad going after and attacking a kid that way crossed the line too far. Grown man attacking teenage girls. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

So, let the legal system deal with that, that's what it's for, it's this rush to extra-judicially target peoples' employment that pisses me off, paired with the spineless management who caves in the face of internet outrage. Pre-internet, this would have been no big deal, the kids might have called the cops, or they might have just told their friends about the crazy dude who yelled at them and threw a drink, the guy might have been cited for disorderly conduct or something, maybe not in light of the shop's mistake putting his kid in the hospital, that would have been proportionate to what happened, but destroying his life for the foreseeable future is not a proportionate response to the offense. His employer shouldn't even be involved, policing their workers outside of work is not their job and shouldn't be their business, in fact it's one of the few business regulations I'd like to see enacted, a sort of anti-cancellation contract, if you will, forcing a buyout at a substantial premium if a company wants to fire someone over online controversy not related to their job.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 3:50 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
It was basically one kid making a mistake that caused harm to another kid. A dad going after and attacking a kid that way crossed the line too far. Grown man attacking teenage girls. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

We don't know if a mistake was made.

“Next to our register we have a thing that says to let us know if you have any allergies to nuts because we have special blenders and stuff we use for people who do have nut allergies,” she said. “I can't say it did or didn't have peanut butter in it…It could have been cross contaminated.”
https://bronx.news12.com/robeks-employe ... srespected

The girls didn't use the special blenders, because they say the man didn't tell them about a peanut allergy.

Be the hero of your life.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:00 am

Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

So, let the legal system deal with that, that's what it's for, it's this rush to extra-judicially target peoples' employment that pisses me off, paired with the spineless management who caves in the face of internet outrage. Pre-internet, this would have been no big deal, the kids might have called the cops, or they might have just told their friends about the crazy dude who yelled at them and threw a drink, the guy might have been cited for disorderly conduct or something, maybe not in light of the shop's mistake putting his kid in the hospital, that would have been proportionate to what happened, but destroying his life for the foreseeable future is not a proportionate response to the offense. His employer shouldn't even be involved, policing their workers outside of work is not their job and shouldn't be their business, in fact it's one of the few business regulations I'd like to see enacted, a sort of anti-cancellation contract, if you will, forcing a buyout at a substantial premium if a company wants to fire someone over online controversy not related to their job.

I hear what you're saying, but at the same time I'm pretty sure even before the internet companies didn't want to be saddled with an employee who made headlines by doing something egregious. Granted that these days, it's a lot easier to make headlines for egregious behavior. Although that said, by now most everyone should know that acting out in such a way, has a very good chance of going viral, making them world infamous and costing them their job.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:08 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
It was basically one kid making a mistake that caused harm to another kid. A dad going after and attacking a kid that way crossed the line too far. Grown man attacking teenage girls. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

We don't know if a mistake was made.

“Next to our register we have a thing that says to let us know if you have any allergies to nuts because we have special blenders and stuff we use for people who do have nut allergies,” she said. “I can't say it did or didn't have peanut butter in it…It could have been cross contaminated.”
https://bronx.news12.com/robeks-employe ... srespected

The girls didn't use the special blenders, because they say the man didn't tell them about a peanut allergy.

His receipt acknowledged that the order should not contain peanut butter.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:15 am

I feel sorry for the man and his family. If a cooler head had prevailed, he'd have his job, no infamy, and a huge lawsuit. He still has a lawsuit though. I wonder if his actions would somehow damage it. It'll be interesting to see if the family ends up being awarded enough money for him to retire on.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 6:23 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
His receipt acknowledged that the order should not contain peanut butter.

However, the girls say his order did not say "peanut allergy", which would let them know to use special blenders to avoid possible peanut contamination from previous orders.

Be the hero of your life.