U.S. economy in 2021 -- best performance since 1984

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:19 pm

Fiscal stimulus powers U.S. economy in 2021 to its best performance since 1984

It's been said that when the economy does poorly, the current President gets the blame, but if it does well the previous President gets credit.

EDIT: remember 1984 was "morning in America". Was 2021 Götterdämmerung in America?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 8:59 pm

Kinda to b be expected after shutting it down for a year, had no place to go but up.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2022, 3:06 am

US media discussion of the economy is incredibly dumb. The fiscal stimulus done by the federal reserve in 2020 in order to keep the stock market from crashing is part of the reason inflation jumped a year later. The other part is there are still worker shortages due to covid all over the world. Biden gets unfairly blamed. Of course there were also unfair attacks on Trump in 2020 when the economy was intentionally shut down in many states due to covid.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:23 am

NoClearMind53 wrote:
Biden gets unfairly blamed. Of course there were also unfair attacks on Trump in 2020 when the economy was intentionally shut down in many states due to covid.

Trump has been criticized for chaotic leadership during the pandemic. In contrast, Justin Trudeau was perceived as leading in a decisive manner. Over time I would say both perceptions have undergone some degree of revision.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:33 am

Trump shouldn't have talked about injecting Clorox into people in order to "clean up" COVID.

Trump believed, most of the time, that COVID was a hoax.

His administration was the Big Brother administration. Many elements of "newspeak" and "doublespeak" emanated from him and his minions.

He shouldn't have thrown off his mask after he came home from the hospital (for COVID).

He shouldn't have made that phone call to that Georgian election official asking him to "come up" with about 12,000 votes.

He shouldn't have tweeted that he "loved" the people who stormed the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:53 am

At least Trudeau maintained at least a semblance of good sense during all this.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2022, 5:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump shouldn't have talked about injecting Clorox into people in order to "clean up" COVID.

I wouldn’t ever assume he believes the things he says.

Quote:
His administration was the Big Brother administration. Many elements of "newspeak" and "doublespeak" emanated from him and his minions.

He shouldn't have thrown off his mask after he came home from the hospital (for COVID).

He shouldn't have made that phone call to that Georgian election official asking him to "come up" with about 12,000 votes.

He shouldn't have tweeted that he "loved" the people who stormed the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021.

I’m not defending Trump. He is an egomaniacal psychopath. I just don’t know how much better we would do against COVID even if it was someone else. The problem is not just the leader. Its the American people as a whole. We’re selfish individualists who can’t handle a crisis because we’ve been conditioned against cooperation.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2022, 12:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Lol you have no idea what you're talking about.

Trudeau spent absurd amounts of money, I mean truly absurd amounts of money.

Canada isn't the US our dollar isn't a global currency, it is very likely Canada's economy will approach Greek levels of dysfunction .

Don't tell someone their problems if you're not the person having to live through them.

In the near future Trudeau or whoever replaces him is gonna have to gut social services/healthcare/schooling/infrastructure spending etc.

It's an economic necessity, and the higher you raise the tax rate the faster people will be leaving elsewhere.

A brain drain nearly ruined Canada in the 90s and we're likely going back to that.

Good luck thinking autistic people are gonna get the help they need.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm

NoClearMind53 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I wouldn’t ever assume he believes the things he says.

Quote:

I’m not defending Trump. He is an egomaniacal psychopath. I just don’t know how much better we would do against COVID even if it was someone else. The problem is not just the leader. Its the American people as a whole. We’re selfish individualists who can’t handle a crisis because we’ve been conditioned against cooperation.

We don't have to guess, bidens death rates have been crazy high, and he came into power after a large portion of the population(especially older people) became vaccinated.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 12:44 pm

ChiefEspatier wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Lol you have no idea what you're talking about.

Trudeau spent absurd amounts of money, I mean truly absurd amounts of money.

Canada isn't the US our dollar isn't a global currency, it is very likely Canada's economy will approach Greek levels of dysfunction .

Don't tell someone their problems if you're not the person having to live through them.

In the near future Trudeau or whoever replaces him is gonna have to gut social services/healthcare/schooling/infrastructure spending etc.

It's an economic necessity, and the higher you raise the tax rate the faster people will be leaving elsewhere.

A brain drain nearly ruined Canada in the 90s and we're likely going back to that.

Good luck thinking autistic people are gonna get the help they need.

Austerity is one of those "solutions" that indicates a state is about to face further decline.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う