Trudeau flees as first 1,000 Trucks Arrive in Ottawa

Page 28 of 43 [ 676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 43  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:22 am

It's interesting to see how the approach to peaceful protest has changed in a little over 12 months:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:00 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Or ... ask your friends. When I've asked mine, it's always been the same: don't display it.

Ugh, I feel dirty for playing this card yet again, but I did spend about 10 years either married to or long term dating black women, which as you might imagine meant spending significant amounts of time in that community between my social group and my in-laws, meaning my opinions on this stuff were not formed in a vacuum. Beyond that though, I don't get this outsourcing of opinion to what amounts to random minorities you happen to know, why does a different skin color give them any special insight? Do you think their experience is in some way more homogeneous than that of randomly chosen white people?

I did not forget you have that card to play, which is why I wrote "or ask your friends." I assumed your views had an element of experience. But you don't know everyone, either, and if anyone's feelings are going to be hurt, shouldn't we go out of our way not to hurt them? That isn't infantilizing, its manners. The cartoon was a cheap shot to begin with and did nothing to advance the conversation, so why put it out at all, if there is any chance someone will be hurt by it? I'm not writing policy, I'm not making a formal censure, I was making an observation between people I think of as friendly acquaintances, hoping to prompt a little food for thought. Have you given any thought to why you and Brictoria couldn't see it as that, and felt the need to slap back instead?

To be frank, the caricature bothers me. It bothers me to think that such a caricature was ever acceptable in our society, that people weren't always aware how "off" it was, and it immediately brings to mind a whole lot of ugly history.

What I wrote, precisely, was "^^^ IMHO your cartoon is offensive. I know it's trying to make a point, but some images should be allowed to die on the sands of history and never used for any reason."

Are you going to argue that it wouldn't be better for the caricature to die a natural death as we realize it was never appropriate?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:12 am

I see your point DW but likewise, I don't think Brictoria or Dox are trying to upset anyone. Very few people follow Canadian politics and even fewer know about the unfortunate blackface photos. To mention they existed doesn't quite illustrate how offensive Trudeau's choices were. As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. I think we've seen a couple of photos of his racist caricatures including the First Nations head dress. People don't believe those things occurred until they see them with their own two eyes. Adding one more example with a cartoon drawing might seem insensitive but let's remember it was Trudeau who made those insensitive choices. The burden of shame goes to Trudeau and the liberal voters who reelected him TWICE now, following publications of those photos.

Sensitivity needs to be shown to all vulnerable groups. Those exploited or discriminated against by race, by crime, by gender, and even by political affiliation. We can't lump people into any stereotype and assert prejudice about their character until we've met them and walked in their shoes. Any other negative tropes or intolerance toward a group of people should stop, and I think (hope) we all agree on that.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:25 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I see your point DW but likewise, I don't think Brictoria or Dox are trying to upset anyone. Very few people follow Canadian politics and even fewer know about the unfortunate blackface photos. To mention they existed doesn't quite illustrate how offensive Trudeau's choices were. As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. I think we've seen a couple of photos of his racist caricatures including the First Nations head dress. People don't believe those things occurred until they see them with their own two eyes. Adding one more example with a cartoon drawing might seem insensitive but let's remember it was Trudeau who made those insensitive choices. The burden of shame goes to Trudeau and the liberal voters who reelected him TWICE now, following publications of those photos.

Sensitivity needs to be shown to all vulnerable groups. Those exploited or discriminated against by race, by crime, by gender, and even by political affiliation. We can't lump people into any stereotype and assert prejudice about their character until we've met them and walked in their shoes. Any other negative tropes or intolerance toward a group of people should stop, and I think (hope) we all agree on that.

I agree and appreciate your input.

I don't think anyone was trying to hurt anyone, so maybe I should have just kept my opinion to myself. My thought was that if we're going to get to the place we hope to go, this stuff probably needs to get talked about. There isn't really a right or wrong answer, in my eyes, just a need to talk and hear each other.

Psycho64
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2022, 2:32 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
^^^ IMHO your cartoon is offensive. I know it's trying to make a point, but some images should be allowed to die on the sands of history and never used for any reason.

Definitely forget them when he stops refering to me and those i support as racists and nazis.

Psycho64
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2022, 2:37 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
^^^ IMHO your cartoon is offensive. I know it's trying to make a point, but some images should be allowed to die on the sands of history and never used for any reason.

Really? Cartoon blackface making fun of a real politician who wore real blackface is your line? What is your reasoning as to why cartoon blackface is beyond the pale? (pun fully intended)

My opinion, and obviously you disagree.

Someone who has experienced racism or who is aware the black face image is insulting to their race should not be subject to the image while browsing a thread. It's that simple for me; I would never display such an image for any reason, period. If someone who is black wants to share it, then that would be their choice; they own the right, not someone like me, IMHO.

I'm not going to debate it; I have simply stated my personal opinion, which carries no official weight what so ever, and it is what it is.

And i should not have a racist facist politician calling me a nazi. A politician started this. I will see it finished because if i do not fascism, and real racism, wins.

Psycho64
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2022, 2:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

When you can't rebut, pathetically deflect. :lol:

Thank you for the perfect example of a pathetic deflection attempt by yourself (after all, I don't see any attempt to rebut the post you quoted in your responce).

There's nothing to rebut, Trudeau wore blackface and it's fair to call him out on it. Pointing out his issues doesn't do anything to address issues with the Flu Trux Klan organizers like Pat King though; it's not an either or issue, they both can be condemned for their racism.

Pivoting to criticism of a terrible centrist faux-woke narcissist like Trudeau doesn't do anything to address criticisms of the people behind this protest. You know it. I know it. Everyone else who participates on this forum knows it so it's just a terrible attempt at deflection that no one here is dumb enough to actually fall for.

During the second world war the allies were Britan, America and communist Russia. When you are in a battle for the future of civilisation against fascists you fight with fellow travelers, not against them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:58 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I don't think anyone was trying to hurt anyone, so maybe I should have just kept my opinion to myself. My thought was that if we're going to get to the place we hope to go, this stuff probably needs to get talked about. There isn't really a right or wrong answer, in my eyes, just a need to talk and hear each other.

I agree completely. I believe in freedom of speech, freedom of opinion, and freedom of peaceful protest. If you found it offensive you have a right to say so. When I find other comments offensive, I'll call them out too. My pet peeve is when people assume a protest can only be viewed by race and by political affiliation. There are many other vulnerable sectors of society and also intersectionality, but these are often overlooked. I haven't seen anyone worry about the treatment of disabled people in protests. No one mentions that people could be survivors of SA or DV, or basing their opinions on trauma rather than politics. Some people are protesting on either side in memory of a loved one. There are as many reasons for protesting as there are protestors. Arbitrarily dividing these people into two teams and assigning their motive as "good" or "bad" serves no purpose but to promote misinformed prejudice.

I'm rambling. I'm just trying to say yes, it's OK that you were bothered by the cartoon. It's OK that others think it was a learning tool. We can all have different opinions without it being the end of the world. I think we have a lot more in common across WP than most people realise. We all want people to be healthy and safe, and we all want our "regular lives" back as soon as possible with the economy intact and our families by our side. We want our jobs or our disability pay to remain the same. We all want the freedom for people to share their ideas and be self-autonomous in a free country. I've never seen any member want hatred, division, or dictatorship. No one wants any other person to become ill, and no one wants Covid to control our lives forever. In that regard, we're all on the same page deep down.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:20 pm

Psycho64 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Really? Cartoon blackface making fun of a real politician who wore real blackface is your line? What is your reasoning as to why cartoon blackface is beyond the pale? (pun fully intended)

My opinion, and obviously you disagree.

Someone who has experienced racism or who is aware the black face image is insulting to their race should not be subject to the image while browsing a thread. It's that simple for me; I would never display such an image for any reason, period. If someone who is black wants to share it, then that would be their choice; they own the right, not someone like me, IMHO.

I'm not going to debate it; I have simply stated my personal opinion, which carries no official weight what so ever, and it is what it is.

And i should not have a racist facist politician calling me a nazi. A politician started this. I will see it finished because if i do not fascism, and real racism, wins.

I don't believe you've personally been called a racist, but it's perfectly fair to point out the cause you support was organized by white supremacists like Pat King.

Psycho64 wrote:
During the second world war the allies were Britan, America and communist Russia. When you are in a battle for the future of civilisation against fascists you fight with fellow travelers, not against them.

And that's why I'm on the side opposed to the actual fascists like the groups responsible for organizing the Flu Trux Klan. Don't align yourself with actual fascists and try to lecture me about how to fight fascism.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:56 pm

So it seems the FTK are flooding both 911 and the non-emergency Ottawa Police number. They're also attempting to harass Ottawa area schools.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... dge-closed

Quote:
“There is an organized attempt, (police) believe from convoy protesters, to flood our 911 services with vexatious calls — happening right now — where first responders are being sent to inappropriate (locations) … I’m also getting updates from a convoy organizer (who) has just encouraged convoy protesters to consider ‘convoy circles’ around public schools in Ottawa,” Harden said during Thursday’s session of the Ontario government’s select committee on COVID-19.

More on the school harassment:

https://pressprogress.ca/elementary-sch ... es-ottawa/

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 4:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So it seems the FTK are flooding both 911 and the non-emergency Ottawa Police number. They're also attempting to harass Ottawa area schools.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... dge-closed

Quote:
“There is an organized attempt, (police) believe from convoy protesters, to flood our 911 services with vexatious calls — happening right now — where first responders are being sent to inappropriate (locations) … I’m also getting updates from a convoy organizer (who) has just encouraged convoy protesters to consider ‘convoy circles’ around public schools in Ottawa,” Harden said during Thursday’s session of the Ontario government’s select committee on COVID-19.

More on the school harassment:

https://pressprogress.ca/elementary-sch ... es-ottawa/

If true, that would be harassment. There is no right to harassment.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm

If there are false reports, the false reporter committed a criminal offense, and is subject to arrest.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 6:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
If true, that would be harassment. There is no right to harassment.

Oh, I'm sure it's just a few rogue elements, nothing to do with the main protest.

Am I doing this right?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 7:01 pm

Just a little more reading in regards to some of the organizers:

https://mrsbrittanybested.com/2022/02/0 ... -the-core/

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 7:38 pm