Putin recognizes rebel territories in Ukraine as indepent !

Page 5 of 19 [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 10:40 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
Russia putting military and air bases on the Mexican border would be an act of aggression to the US. Russia permanently anchoring aircraft carriers in the English channel is an act of aggression to the UK and France. How is it any different with NATO putting bases on Ukraine's border when they know full well Russia doesn't want them to get that close?

I have been aware of his distain towards NATO and he wanted to see it dissolved for decades. It's no surprise he would want it to 1997 levels but it also wouldn't go amiss to keep out of Ukraine.
Well, for some reason US did not invade Cuba... and there is no 45 million nation living in the English Channel.
The difference is recognition of sovereignty of a state.

The Americans were liberal with the placement of their missiles too.

The 45 million don't matter too. They knew the cards they were dealt and thought that chumming up with NATO was a good idea. Everyone can see how it was going to escalate.

All that matters is that buffer zone. Nothing more, nothing less.

45 million people don't matter for you.
They could just choose being born in a different place, I guess.
And if it was I who was invaded, another 38 million would matter just as little to you.

Fine.
I believe that says enough on your part.

Looks like the bitter feelings after Yalta still have good justification today.

The world shouldn't get into a fight over 45 million who are part of a country who foolishly decided to pick a side when they're wedged between two super powers.

Ukraine knew it would annoy them but done it anyway. I would have had much more respect for Ukraine and would be more inclined to help them if they remained neutral and were invaded than knowingly picking the side of an enemy and then getting invaded as a result.

I think a classic case of Switzerland blindness would have helped.

The 45 million though, I don't care about. They knew what was coming. Poland is different being a huge land mass that is less of a threat than Ukraine and it's encroaching sea.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 10:45 am

Nope, Poland is no different.
We just had better timing in leaving Russian zone of influence. We used the moment of weakness in 1990s while Ukrainians missed it. They tried in 2004 but it was too late.
That's all the difference.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:02 pm

I want to emphasize that my issue is with Putin and his government under the political entity known as Russia.....not with the idea of Russia or the Russian people.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 12:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I want to emphasize that my issue is with Putin and his government under the political entity known as Russia.....not with the idea of Russia or the Russian people.

Imperialism, outright lies and brutal force have long history in Kremlin... hopefully some day they evolve out of it. For the good of Russian people and all the rest of the world.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm

Indeed....

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm

magz wrote:
In this calculation, you seem to be totally ignoring 45 million people in the "buffer zone"...
Poland and Baltic States joined NATO for a good reason and this reason wasn't to piss off Russia.

Agreed.
But I can understand Russia's position also.

Are there USA forces in the Baltic states and Poland?
If not, are they going to move there?
If so, any attack on Poland or the Baltic Nato nations would be unthinkable, even for the shitcan.

But even without USA troops in situ, they are all Nato members and any attack on them will bring in the US.
That must give some comfort.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:59 pm

Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
I don't think they didn't acknowledge Russian position on it.
I think Russian position does not acknowledge Ukrainian independence, so it's hard to compromise here.

It might be a chicken or egg scenario. In not surprised the stance taken by each country given NATO's unwelcome interference in such a tense political area. Remove the threat of NATO and relations might be considerably less frosty.

Well, we know who the chickens are, and so does putin. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:18 pm

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
NATO.
The very existence of it?

Yes. Russia knows the intention on NATO. Get big and get close to Russian borders....that's literally it.

Being one of the Eastern NATO members, I'd say its purpose here is to prevent Russia from regaining these territories.
Did you read Putin's demands? He wanted NATO presence to shrink to pre-1997 state. That would mean exactly removing the main obstacle form regaining the former USSR "zone of influence".

If you think not removing obstacles for your goals is a "poke" that makes the other side "the agressor", then you're ready to justify any agression and blame it on its victims.

I don't see how putin could possibly think NATO will kick out the Baltic States and Poland.
"The line stops there."
And, attacking a NATO member is unthinkable, surely.
Ukraine is different, unfortunately, imo, but I don't know a lot about the situation.

I wouldn't bet on putin not invading. If not now, sometime in the future.
I hope I am wrong.
Time will tell.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:24 pm

magz wrote:
This all reminds me of Czechoslovakia in 1938...

putin says there are major cultural ties with Ukraine.
This isn't the same with the Baltic States and Poland, right?
I understand your concerns, but perhaps it isn't as bad as you might think?

We have similar concerns about Taiwan, but I doubt there will be a chinese invasion before I am dead and buried. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:29 pm

magz wrote:
There is something real about NATO: international forces are already here.
But non-members don't have such advantage.

And if putin kills international forces there is no turning back for NATO from a war with russia.

Last edited by Pepe on 22 Feb 2022, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
This all reminds me of Czechoslovakia in 1938...

putin says there are major cultural ties with Ukraine.
This isn't the same with the Baltic States and Poland, right?
I understand your concerns, but perhaps it isn't as bad as you might think?

We have similar concerns about Taiwan, but I doubt there will be a chinese invasion before I am dead and buried. :mrgreen:

Crimea was apparently similar with the populations loyalties neither Ukrainian or Russian.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:34 pm

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:

And if putin kills international forces there is no turning back for NATO with a war with russia.

The biggest problem with NATO once the deterrence factor is taken out of the equation......the massive conflict escalation well outside the original conflict zone with the obvious needless loss of lives it causes.

It's strange how people oppose nuclear weapons for these very reasons yet NATO becoming bigger and bigger, far bigger than needed is somehow fine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 6:05 pm

Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:

And if putin kills international forces there is no turning back for NATO with a war with russia.

The biggest problem with NATO once the deterrence factor is taken out of the equation......the massive conflict escalation well outside the original conflict zone with the obvious needless loss of lives it causes.

It's strange how people oppose nuclear weapons for these very reasons yet NATO becoming bigger and bigger, far bigger than needed is somehow fine.

As magz has pointed out, the reason The Baltic States and Poland joined NATO was due to fear of russian aggression.
The russians only had themselves to blame.
End of story. 8)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 6:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:

As magz has pointed out, the reason The Baltic States and Poland joined NATO was due to fear of russian aggression.
End of story. 8)

What aggression? The cold war ended a while ago and the Russians haven't really been bothering its former states for quite some time even during long periods of them not being in NATO.

Russia only seem to get hot headed when with the prospect of more NATO, not less. If anything NATO seems to destabilise rather than stabilise.

Ukraine's just being used as a pawn by the west to sabre rattle Russia and nothing more. The west doesn't even care about Ukraine beyond giving agro to Russia.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
Q: Would you prefer a psychopathic killer or a self-absorbed narcissist as the leader of your country? 8)

I much prefer a third choice.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:41 pm

Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:

End of story. 8)

What aggression? The cold war ended a while ago and the Russians haven't really been bothering its former states for quite some time even during long periods of them not being in NATO.

Russia only seem to get hot headed when with the prospect of more NATO, not less. If anything NATO seems to destabilise rather than stabilise.

Ukraine's just being used as a pawn by the west to sabre rattle Russia and nothing more. The west doesn't even care about Ukraine beyond giving agro to Russia.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate." :?

Russia is a threat to its former satellite states.
They may even threaten to invade Ukraine, again. <satire>

It is an aggressive dictatorship with its leader being a psychopathic killer who used radioactive tea and contaminated underpants to kill off dissidents.
What part of "Psycho in control" don't you understand? :scratch:

Are you Russian, by any chance? :scratch: