Vladimir Putin will ‘construct his own history’

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 2:15 am

Quote:
Vladimir Putin will ‘construct his own history’ about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
5 hours ago

Curtin University political analyst Joe Siracusa says Russian President Vladimir Putin will attempt to end his war in Ukraine like America did in Vietnam – by painting an “unmitigated disaster” as a “great accomplishment” and warping history.

“That’s what this guy is going to do – he’s going to construct his own history as he goes along,” Professor Siracusa said.

“Putin will try to end the war the same way the Americans ended the war in Vietnam, it was an unmitigated disaster but when we got out President Nixon declared a victory and a great accomplishment, and we all pretended that everything worked out.

“He will be there in two or three, four, years when other people may not be there or may not be re-elected, so he’s going to construct some kind of a narrative where it looks like he saved the day.

“But at the end of the day, people have eyes.

“We’ve never had this kind of scrutiny with cameras or social media, this is a war that we’re seeing very close up and personal.”

Mr Siracusa told Sky News Australia with many Russians opposing the war and a silent majority supporting it, Mr Putin would have to “save face”.

“We’re getting very close to some kind of negotiations,” he said.

“But I don’t think we’re going to see any abatement of violence up until the talks themselves – in the Vietnam War you had violence right up until the end.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/g ... erallPos=6

Time will tell. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2022, 4:16 am

Pepe wrote:
Time will tell. 8)
My bet is he will push it to the end or until someone assassinates him.
His successor may do what described in the article.
Any bookmaker around?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 8:12 am

Yep....George Orwell's 1984 vision coming into fruition under Putin.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 8:20 am

So, when does Putin land on the Kuznetsov and unfurl a huge МИССИЯ ВЫПОЛНЕНА banner?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2022, 8:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
So, when does Putin land on the Kuznetsov and unfurl a huge МИССИЯ ВЫПОЛНЕНА banner?
My bet is he won't but his successor may.
The question is an old Kremlin court game: when is the best moment to strangle the tsar?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 12:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

subtext: МИР НЕНАВИДИТ МЕНЯ

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 4:06 pm

If he can spin it as a victory and get out, I'll practically cheer him on, because, truly, the only thing I care about is him getting out. But ... I don't know how much hope I have on this score ...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 7:17 pm

If Putin can hold on to the Russian speaking east end of Ukraine, as well as the Crimea, and make Ukraine promise never to join NATO, he will crow his victory to the heavens.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
If Putin can hold on to the Russian speaking east end of Ukraine, as well as the Crimea, and make Ukraine promise never to join NATO, he will crow his victory to the heavens.

This is my best guess in what may happen.