2022 Oscars: Will Smith appears to hit Chris Rock

Page 16 of 22 [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 12:24 am

I think age plays a factor as well. Gibson was 50 (and looked older) when he had his career damaging tirade, so his heyday as a sex symbol action star was fading anyways. Will Smith is 53. Johnny Depp went downhill at 58. These days it's Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper, Tom Hardy, Ryan Reynolds, Chris Hemsworth and others in that age group.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 3:54 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mel Gibson is not going to give his Oscars back, especially the ones he won after the controversies. As noted in the last sentence Gibson is back in the god graces of the film industry, but he is not the popular superstar he was before all the mistakes. I think Smith as long as he continues to play nice will regain most if not all of his popularity back.

That's what I think too. Gibson's Apolcalypto is one of the most innovative pieces of cinema in the history of movies. I hope he considers doing a period piece, perhaps Chaucer's time when everyone speaks middle English.

Will Smith is potentially allowed to express himself creatively he may surprise,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 3:56 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I think age plays a factor as well. Gibson was 50 (and looked older) when he had his career damaging tirade, so his heyday as a sex symbol action star was fading anyways. Will Smith is 53. Johnny Depp went downhill at 58. These days it's Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper, Tom Hardy, Ryan Reynolds, Chris Hemsworth and others in that age group.

Gibson and Smith have both won oscars for directing. That seems to be their forte now.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 1:36 pm

These people are just court jesters , not role models (that doesnt mean theyre allowed to go total me too though)

I bet if Bruce Lee didnt die hed be in jail for a long time due to cocaine possession when he came back to L.A

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 4:44 pm

collectoritis wrote:
These people are just court jesters , not role models (that doesnt mean theyre allowed to go total me too though)

I bet if Bruce Lee didnt die hed be in jail for a long time due to cocaine possession when he came back to L.A

In the African American community it's already entered their vernacular. "I got so angry I gave him a "Will Smith", I imagine that will be appropriated into general American speech eventually.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 7:40 pm

will humanity ever evolve?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:07 am

Things getting worse for Will Smith

Chris Rock has reportedly hired a major law firm to potentially sue Will Smith and The Academy Awards over the slap at the 2022 Oscar

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:26 am

FINALLY!! ! but to be fair, revenge is a dish best served cold.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 4:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
FINALLY!! ! but to be fair, revenge is a dish best served cold.

The lawyer on the podcast didn't sound that confident that Rock has a sure case. The main problem is that he (Rock) will have gained financially through higher ticker sales so there is unlikely to be financial restitution.

He has a better chance with suing the Academy for allowing this to happen due to lax security and the humiliation it created being likely see now by nearly everybody on the planet with the exception of the Sentinal island people.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 8:09 am

collectoritis wrote:

Bruce Lee did cocaine? I feel so disillusioned. Was his be like water speech just a coke induced ego trip?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 2:41 am

nobody that high up is pure.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 5:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
nobody that high up is pure.

In this world you can't keep your hands clean when you move with the "illumanati"

retired supermodel Naomi Campbell isn't the only celebrity to wear blood diamonds.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 6:56 am

the most evil people all have this veneer of bright shiny beauty about them, taking after their forefather Lucifer.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 9:02 pm

One thing nobody here seems to have mentioned yet is the way Will Smith's words and actions all seem to be about "protection", and therefore, indirectly, ownership. The acceptance speech was particularly nauseating in that regard.

Jada Pinkett Smith is a confident and intelligent lady, quite capable of speaking her own mind. Yet here, Will Smith seems to think he has the right to leap in and defend her against words, as though she's some sort of fragile, empty-headed doll.

It seems to me he is insecure (possibly as a result of all the Jada infidelity stories) and he took the joke towards his wife as a challenge to his masculinity. So then it became a controlling, "Respecc ma author-i-tay" kinda thing. Maybe that was due to anger and frustration building up over time, but it was wrong to take it all out on Chris Rock. Even if his jokes are a bit crass.

In the process Will Smith completely lost any moral high ground they might otherwise have had.

We don't even know if Chris Rock wrote the joke. Even if he did, the humour was clearly designed to get an outraged reaction, and that's exactly what he got. Will Smith lost control and fed the troll.

The best way to knock the wind out of Chris Rock's sails would have been for Jada to look disappointed, shake her head and calmly say "Hey Chris, that was a low blow. You can do better than that."

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm

I've seen wives jump to their husband's defense plenty of times. Many times in the form of slapping the offender on the cheek. So what's that called?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 11:25 pm

fake chivalry.