Russian warship Moskva sinks after Kyiv claims missile hit

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Russian warship Moskva sinks after Kyiv claims missile hit

Russia’s Black Sea flagship has sunk after it was engulfed in an inferno that Ukraine claims broke out in a missile strike.

April 15, 2022

Russia’s Black Sea flagship sank Thursday after it was engulfed in an inferno that Ukraine said broke out in a missile strike — as the Kremlin complained that Kyiv was targeting its citizens in sorties across the border.

The guided missile cruiser Moskva has been leading Russia’s naval effort against its neighbour in the seven-week conflict, in which civilian killings have sparked accusations of genocide.

“While being towed … towards the destined port, the vessel lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull as fire broke out after ammunition exploded,” the Russian state news agency TASS quoted the ministry as saying.

“Given the choppy seas, the vessel sank.” Russian state media had not mentioned a rocket attack when quoting the ministry earlier as saying the Moskva was “seriously damaged” by the explosion and ensuing fire, forcing an evacuation.

But Odessa military spokesman Sergey Bratchuk said the ship was damaged by “Neptune domestic cruise missiles”, in an account largely echoed by the regional governor.

Meanwhile, in Ukraine’s east and south, civilian evacuations had been set to resume Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said, after a daylong pause that Kyiv blamed on Russian shelling.

More than 4.7 million Ukrainians have fled their country in the 50 days since Russia invaded, the United Nations said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/ru ... da1244e79f

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 1:25 am

Quote:
Ukraine used drones to distract Russian warship Moskva before missiles were fired as Moscow confirms vessel sunk

Details have emerged of how Ukraine’s army distracted a Russian warship before missiles were launched, causing significant damage to the vessel as it burst into flames.
David Wu

April 15, 2022

Ukraine’s military reportedly used drones to distract hundreds of soldiers on board a Russian warship before it launched missiles and struck the navy vessel.

The Slava-class missile cruiser named Moskva, which has been part of Moscow’s Black Sea fleet for close to 40-years, exploded into flames and later sunk.

Kyiv officials claimed two of its newest R-360 Neptune class anti-ship missiles were fired from a hidden battery in the southern port city of Odessa.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said ammunition exploded in a fireball it could not explain, and the $750 million flagship subsequently suffered “significant damage”.

Russian state media reported the vessel’s estimated 500 crew members were evacuated after the ammunition detonated accidently.

It later confirmed the warship “lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull” and sunk as it was being towed back to the port.

“In the stormy sea conditions, the ship sank,” it said in a statement.

Moscow has launched an investigation, but made no mention of a missile attack.

Quote:
Moskva gained notoriety for its standoff with Ukrainian border guards two days after President Vladimir Putin launched the invasion.

Border force officers at Snake Island famously told troops on the Russian warship to “go f**k yourself” via radio when they were asked to surrender.

The sinking of the vessel leaves Russia without its flagship cruiser, which was perceived to be the Black Sea Fleets' best defence against attacks from Ukraine.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/u ... erallPos=3

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 3:21 am

I’ve long had a theory that “Russian military might” is just so much BS.

Not so long ago the Russians’ sole aircraft carrier chugged through the English Channel… I think it was supposed to be a show of strength, but it was belching black smoke and looked like it was held together with sticky tape.

Putin has inadvertantly bust his own myth by showing how weak his military is. They can’t conquer anything… all they can do is trash stuff.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 5:55 am

The ineptitude of the Russian military has been known for a long time.

I suspect they know that if they launch a nuclear missile, it (the missile) just might backfire and destroy Russian territory.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:11 am

So, does that make the article news, or speculative gossip?

Quote:
Russian state media reported in 2020 that the ship was due to take a holy relic on board.
It's unclear whether the relic — a piece of the "true cross" — was on board when the Moskva sank.

Russian warship sunken in Ukraine war may have been carrying a piece of the 'true cross,' a treasured Christian relic
https://www.businessinsider.com/sunk-ru ... ard-2022-4

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 8:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The ineptitude of the Russian military has been known for a long time.

I suspect they know that if they launch a nuclear missile, it (the missile) just might backfire and destroy Russian territory.

Erm… I wouldn’t rely on it, but I’ve also thought that…

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 8:42 am

Errr… uhm … the Russian military using similiar tactics as today for ground combat . Made a good response to the German Military in WW2 . But at the time of those activities , Some historical accounts , I have read put the German Generals , during that time as behaving in incompetent manners also . But Adolph at that time was reported to be behaving rather irrationally .

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:58 pm

Trueno wrote:
I’ve long had a theory that “Russian military might” is just so much BS.

Not so long ago the Russians’ sole aircraft carrier chugged through the English Channel… I think it was supposed to be a show of strength, but it was belching black smoke and looked like it was held together with sticky tape.

Putin has inadvertantly bust his own myth by showing how weak his military is. They can’t conquer anything… all they can do is trash stuff.

The Ukrainians have shown this to the world.
How embarrassing for pootin.
Prepare for further tantrums by him.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:13 pm

So much for the Russian Navy, but the crazy in charge still has his fingers on Nuclear missile buttons .? :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 6:42 pm

And now...for some musical stupidity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 7:58 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

Quote:
Russian state media reported in 2020 that the ship was due to take a holy relic on board.
It's unclear whether the relic — a piece of the "true cross" — was on board when the Moskva sank.

Russian warship sunken in Ukraine war may have been carrying a piece of the 'true cross,' a treasured Christian relic

John Calvin speculated that there were so many pieces of the "true cross" that you could use the wood to build a perfect ship.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 12:01 am

Jakki wrote:
So much for the Russian Navy, but the crazy in charge still has his fingers on Nuclear missile buttons .? :skull:

If we have to go out "with a bang", is it really so bad?
It would be quick. ;)

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 12:54 am

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

It would be quick. ;)

Only if you're in the middle of it.

Being out on the margins and getting long term radiation sickness in a nuclear winter is what scares me.

If that ever becomes likely, I'd be hoping to fly to Washington or New York, so I could be instantly burnt to a crisp.

I bet there'd be a ban on international flights though :(

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 6:36 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

It would be quick. ;)

Only if you're in the middle of it.

Being out on the margins and getting long term radiation sickness in a nuclear winter is what scares me.

If that ever becomes likely, I'd be hoping to fly to Washington or New York, so I could be instantly burnt to a crisp.

I bet there'd be a ban on international flights though :(

I prefer to look on the bright side.
Instant incineration for me, thanks. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 7:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

Quote:

John Calvin speculated that there were so many pieces of the "true cross" that you could use the wood to build a perfect ship.

What Calvin said was "it would be enough wood to fill a whole ship". My Mom accidently reinvented the same joke when she quipped that if "they brought together all of the pieces of the True Cross it would probably be as big as the World Trade Center". The point being that the payload of a cargo ship (even the still relatively tiny sailing ships they had in Calvin's time- like Columbus's ships), would be a lot for Jesus to have carried down the street on his back. Ditto the Trade Center. :lol:

So maybe some of the pieces arent so "true".

But of course - THIS one on the Russian ship MUST have been real!

But apparently it didnt work for its likely intended purpose- as a good luck talisman -to protect the ship.

So despite Putin's alliance with the Russian Orthodox Patriarch of Moscow- Putin's navy doesnt seem to have God on its side. Putting holy relics on their boats is apparently not enough to change that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Apr 2022, 9:03 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But apparently it didnt work for its likely intended purpose- as a good luck talisman -to protect the ship.
Oh, it served its intended purpose perfectly - to transfer some amount of public money to some individual.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>