Ricky Gervais Netflix special condemned by LGBTQ groups

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Ricky Gervais Netflix special condemned by LGBTQ groups for ‘anti-trans rants masquerading as jokes’

Comedian criticised for ‘dangerous’ special, in which he says he supports trans rights while joking about the genitalia of trans women and HIV

Ricky Gervais’ new Netflix special SuperNature has drawn criticism for several jokes about trans people, with the US LGBTQ rights group Glaad calling it “dangerous”.

“We watched the Ricky Gervais ‘comedy’ special on Netflix so you don’t have to,” Glaad said in a statement published on Tuesday night. “It’s full of graphic, dangerous, anti-trans rants masquerading as jokes. He also spouts anti-gay rhetoric and spreads inaccurate information about HIV.”

In the show Gervais, a longtime controversialist, opens with a caveat that many of his jokes will be ironic, explaining: “That’s when I say something I don’t really mean, for comic effect, and you, as an audience, you laugh at the wrong thing because you know what the right thing is. It’s a way of satirising attitudes.”

Soon after, he jokes about “old-fashioned women. They’re the ones with wombs. Those f*****g dinosaurs. I love the new women. They’re great, aren’t they? The new ones we’ve been seeing lately. The ones with beards and cocks.” He then imagines a conversation with a woman who objects to sharing a bathroom with a trans woman: “They are ladies, look at their pronouns. What about this person isn’t a lady?” He then responds: “Well, his penis.”

“Full disclosure: in real life, of course, I support trans rights,” Gervais later says. “I support all human rights, and trans rights are human rights. Live your best life. Use your preferred pronouns. Be the gender that you feel that you are. But meet me halfway, ladies: lose the cock. That’s all I’m saying.”

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... g-as-jokes

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:19 pm

I mean he says he supports trans rights, but some of those jokes don't really seem to support that. I mean sure irony is a thing but he seemed really focused on male features some transwomen still have, like really preoccupied with that which does seem to kind of invalidate them.

Like yes trans-women can be in various stages of transitioning, they already know and are likely uncomfortable with still having those features so does seem kind of overboard to insist on making jokes focused on that part of it. Like yes they know they still have a penis and could still grow a beard but they don't want those things. So yeah I can see why the LGBTQ groups don't care for it.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:24 pm

So first Dave Chappell and now Ricky Gervais. And also Trey Parker's depiction of Caitlyn Jenner on South Park.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean he says he supports trans rights, but some of those jokes don't really seem to support that. I mean sure irony is a thing but he seemed really focused on male features some transwomen still have, like really preoccupied with that which does seem to kind of invalidate them.

Like yes trans-women can be in various stages of transitioning, they already know and are likely uncomfortable with still having those features so does seem kind of overboard to insist on making jokes focused on that part of it. Like yes they know they still have a penis and could still grow a beard but they don't want those things. So yeah I can see why the LGBTQ groups don't care for it.

One of the points I get is there is a distinction between a biological woman and a trans woman.
I don't understand why the two can't co-exist, rather than be amalgamated.

We have a "famous" trans woman, here in Australia, who agrees.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... e+Mcgregor

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:07 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
So first Dave Chappell and now Ricky Gervais. And also Trey Parker's depiction of Caitlyn Jenner on South Park.

The point made, that the left has little appreciation of humour, is something I agree with.

The left talks about the diversity of thought.
What they don't tell us is that only *their* approved diversity of thought is acceptable.
Guys, that isn't "diversity". :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

One of the points I get is there is a distinction between a biological woman and a trans woman.

Sure there is a distinction, cis women were born in the right body...transsexual women were not. so seems rather cold-hearted to make fun of transexual women still having male features since they aren't male and don't want those features. Not to say there is no way to make jokes that have to do with that, but the way this comedian did it was for sure insensitive. Like fine to acknowledge some women have penisis, but like don't hang onto that part move the jokes along after that perhaps rather than digging into that.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The point made, that the left has little appreciation of humour, is something I agree with.

The left talks about the diversity of thought.
What they don't tell us is that only *their* approved diversity of thought is acceptable.
Guys, that isn't "diversity". :wink:

I think virtue signaling far outweighs actual acceptance.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sure there is a distinction, cis women were born in the right body...transsexual women were not. so seems rather cold-hearted to make fun of transexual women still having male features since they aren't male and don't want those features. Not to say there is no way to make jokes that have to do with that, but the way this comedian did it was for sure insensitive. Like fine to acknowledge some women have penisis, but like don't hang onto that part move the jokes along after that perhaps rather than digging into that.

I think the point he was making is that "women" ("Old fashioned" women, to use his words) don't have penises.
*Trans* women do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 10:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
[
Sure there is a distinction, cis women were born in the right body...transsexual women were not. so seems rather cold-hearted to make fun of transexual women still having male features since they aren't male and don't want those features.

Dave Chappelle's comedy specials allude to a lack of support by the gay and lesbian dominated LGBTQI+ community toward the trans community. There may be some irony the very comedians being targeted could be shining a light on trans rights that the LGBTQI community have not been as supportive as perceived.